The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
I hope we hear this week!
Reply 1181
Original post by Alice453
I hope we hear this week!

I reckon some offers will come out this week, it's the 3rd week of the the 5 weeks in march, so arguably this is "mid-march" :tongue:
Reply 1182
I think next Monday will be when things 'start to get interesting' :L
Although I have been waiting since November (when I had my interview) so the earlier the better!!!
I am going to close the poll this week so if anyone hasn't voted in the ukcat poll you better vote now :wink:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=35156193&highlight=st%20andrews%20medicine%202012%20ukcat
st andrews has slowly overtaken king's as my first choice :tongue: may have to update my sig :redface:
Original post by laurie:)
st andrews has slowly overtaken king's as my first choice :tongue: may have to update my sig :redface:

What has attracted you more to St Andrews/driven you away from King's?

I'm just curious :smile:
Original post by Kingbradley6
What has attracted you more to St Andrews/driven you away from King's?

I'm just curious :smile:

well, if i went to kings i'd almost certainly have to live at home, which i thought i'd be okay with, but the more i think about it, the more i want to move out :tongue:
london in general is soooo expensive, im used to it cause i grew up here, but it'd be nice to have a bit of extra cash, plus, if i stay at home i get a much smaller student loan, and that coupled with my almost non-existant parental contribution means anywhere i go i'll be incredibly strapped for cash :redface:

the first time i saw st andrews was at my interview, so i was basing my opinions previously on what i could get from the prospectus :tongue: so when i turned up, i fell in love with it and didnt want to leave!
the surrounding area is so beautiful, the university buildings are really lovely and i adore long journeys so i relish the thought of travelling 7+ hours by train to get there :smile:
kings has one of the largest cohorts for medicine, whereas st andrews has one of the smallest - i got the impression that it was much more supprtive and close knit in st andrews, which i what i was looking for.
i love the idea of graduating with two degrees from two places, and being able to experience two universities in two countries :biggrin:

i could go on and on and on :tongue: i'll just summarise it down to a realisation of what i really, truly want from my university experience :h:
Got rejected from Bristol earlier, so St. Andrews is my last shot at Medicine this year.

:frown:
Reply 1187
well, if i went to kings i'd almost certainly have to live at home, which i thought i'd be okay with, but the more i think about it, the more i want to move out :tongue:
london in general is soooo expensive, im used to it cause i grew up here, but it'd be nice to have a bit of extra cash, plus, if i stay at home i get a much smaller student loan, and that coupled with my almost non-existant parental contribution means anywhere i go i'll be incredibly strapped for cash :redface:

the first time i saw st andrews was at my interview, so i was basing my opinions previously on what i could get from the prospectus :tongue: so when i turned up, i fell in love with it and didnt want to leave!
the surrounding area is so beautiful, the university buildings are really lovely and i adore long journeys so i relish the thought of travelling 7+ hours by train to get there :smile:
kings has one of the largest cohorts for medicine, whereas st andrews has one of the smallest - i got the impression that it was much more supprtive and close knit in st andrews, which i what i was looking for.
i love the idea of graduating with two degrees from two places, and being able to experience two universities in two countries :biggrin:

i could go on and on and on :tongue: i'll just summarise it down to a realisation of what i really, truly want from my university experience :h:

St Andrews is probably the most expensive place to live/study in outside of (if not more than) London. Surely you would have more money living at home? What about the course? I'm not sure how it's taught at King's but I get the impression it's PBL?
Reply 1188
Original post by TattyBoJangles
Got rejected from Bristol earlier, so St. Andrews is my last shot at Medicine this year.

I'm in the same position as you, sucks doesn't it. Are you a reapplicant? If it's any consolation Edinburgh and Bristol are two of the most competetive med schools to apply to. Good luck with St Andrews tho :smile:

Am liking this post mate :smile: x

Fingers crossed. it won't be long now!
Reply 1190
Out of interest guys, would you go for the course which has a higher student satisfaction as league tables show or the course which you think would suit your style of learning more? :smile:
Original post by Eddie91
St Andrews is probably the most expensive place to live/study in outside of (if not more than) London. Surely you would have more money living at home? What about the course? I'm not sure how it's taught at King's but I get the impression it's PBL?

london is horrendous. simply horrendous. a 5 min taxi can easily cost you upwards of £20. a can of coke can cost several quid. anything cheaper than london is a saving - and its not hard to be cheaper than here!

i'm not getting much by the way of a parental contribution, so theyre counted out. i get a tiny loan - if i stay at home its about £700 to £900 (i cant remember the exact figures) less than what i'd get if i moved out. so money is gonna be exceptionally tight.

king's is an integrated course - you have lectures alongside seminars alongside clinical skills and placements. its not a complete PBL course like peninsula or barts, its a combination.

at st andrews they emphasise the science of medicine very much whilst also not allowing you to forget you're a medical student. i like the idea of having my science foundations to use as a basis when i learn clinical skills. i love the clinical skills center at st andrews, i love the fact they do full body dissection. i love the fact that they use video so much in their course so you can see exactly where you're going wrong.

i've lived here for 18 years, i've been around pretty much the same people for the last 7 of them. i want a fresh start, to get my own independence and to be able to manage my own money, make my own food, and choose when i do or do not go out.

am i not allowed to change my mind? :tongue:

Ah okay. Yeah I live in London too want to get out :smile: and the small year group does seem better than having 400 just in your year alone. But ahh how can you like long journeys!? It's the one - but only - downside for me with St Andrews! But it is worth it I guess :tongue: :biggrin:

Did you put down Manchester, Scotland or Don't Mind for clinical years? I take it Manchester from the two countries thing?

Oh and I hope you get an offer :smile: Perhaps see you there then
Original post by Mero8
Out of interest guys, would you go for the course which has a higher student satisfaction as league tables show or the course which you think would suit your style of learning more? :smile:

The course and location are the important factors, not so much what other people think. I like the traditional lecture based course and being close to the mountains/sea as my favourite sports are based there. Student satisfaction just says how well the person picked their course really. If you like the location and course you'll have a great time, if not then it won't be as good no matter what everyone else thinks.
Original post by Kingbradley6
Ah okay. Yeah I live in London too want to get out :smile: and the small year group does seem better than having 400 just in your year alone. But ahh how can you like long journeys!? It's the one - but only - downside for me with St Andrews! But it is worth it I guess :tongue: :biggrin:

Did you put down Manchester, Scotland or Don't Mind for clinical years? I take it Manchester from the two countries thing?

Oh and I hope you get an offer :smile: Perhaps see you there then

london is amazing, and i love it and i really hope to come back here one day, but at the same time its really restrictive, theres next to no silence (i love silence) and theres a whole bunch of things you shouldnt do here, i relish the day when i dont have to stick large sums of money or my phone into my sock to stop it getting stolen :tongue:

i love love looove long journeys! :biggrin: theyre so fun, they can be so productive if you use them wisely, they give you time to catch up on sleep, watch beautiful scenery and ponder your life :biggrin: most of my family live up north near the scottish border, so im used to long journeys anyway :tongue:
Reply 1195
Original post by Cottrill
The course and location are the important factors, not so much what other people think. I like the traditional lecture based course and being close to the mountains/sea as my favourite sports are based there. Student satisfaction just says how well the person picked their course really. If you like the location and course you'll have a great time, if not then it won't be as good no matter what everyone else thinks.

I think student satisfaction refers more to the teaching staff. I have a good friend that studies at a prestigious Scottish university (not St. Andrews). She loves what she's doing and she is way more prepared and keen than most of the people in her year. Yet she is so dissapointed with the staff. She complained so many times that the staff was rude to her and she never gets the help she needs.

When I told her how nice and helpful the staff is here, she was completely shocked. She wouldn't believe me when I told her that my tutor spent hours with me making phone calls and appointments in order to sort out an issue that was not strictly related to the course.

Staff makes a huge difference. You may love place and you may love the course, but if people around you are hostile then you won't enjoy the university experience at all.

I'm not trying to say that student satisfaction ranking is the main reason for choosing a university, but it would be a good idea to talk to students and make sure you like the place before accepting an offer.

In the end, there are over 30 medical schools in the uk. Probably half of them have a course that suit one's likes, but I really doubt one could be equally happy and satisfied at each university.

From my personal experience, most of the students on a course actually like that course. Hard to believe that some unis have an inflow of students who dislike the course they pick... But other factors come into the equation as well - facilities, staff, other students/friends etc.
Reply 1196

Sorry to hear that! Good luck for St Andrew's! :smile:
Reply 1197
Hey guys, was just wondering... Do you know if people are at a particular advantage applying to Manchester than to Scotland (are they more likely to get a place). I put down Scotland purely for my love of Edinburgh (hopeful, I know) but I've heard Manchester is less competitive to I'm now kicking myself.

However, speaking logically, surely if they have a good applicant who put down Scotland but they'd already allocated all of the Scotland places, they would just put them in for Manchester? :smile:
Reply 1198
Original post by Mero8
Hey guys, was just wondering... Do you know if people are at a particular advantage applying to Manchester than to Scotland (are they more likely to get a place). I put down Scotland purely for my love of Edinburgh (hopeful, I know) but I've heard Manchester is less competitive to I'm now kicking myself.

However, speaking logically, surely if they have a good applicant who put down Scotland but they'd already allocated all of the Scotland places, they would just put them in for Manchester? :smile:

There were cases last year of people putting Scotland as their preference, but getting Manchester instead, so I wouldn't worry about it! Quite a lot in fact, as there's only 55 places that go on to Scottish uni's. I think you're right in that they just give offers to the applicants they like the best, and then try to accommodate for their preferences :smile: Thankfully I got my preference for this year :smile:
Reply 1199
Original post by KCosmo
There were cases last year of people putting Scotland as their preference, but getting Manchester instead, so I wouldn't worry about it! Quite a lot in fact, as there's only 55 places that go on to Scottish uni's. I think you're right in that they just give offers to the applicants they like the best, and then try to accommodate for their preferences :smile: Thankfully I got my preference for this year :smile:

Ah I hope I won't disadvantaged putting Scotland!

That's so good you got your preference, you must have been a brilliant applicant to get such an early offer! Haha, hopefully soon you will be joined by us all and there will be a "St.Andrews 2012 Medics" thread to replace this one :-P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending