The Student Room Group

Barts and The London Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by joemullally
Do they interview ~100 a day?

Its a very rough estimate and what I was trying to say is that if they interview a significant number of people, then its unlikely to exceed 100. Its just a guess though so dont take my word for it :smile:
Original post by EverHopeful -
How many applicants have there been this year?

Does anyone know yet what the UCAS tariff cut-off score for interviews is this year?

It is definitely UKCAT 600 Avg cut off then they go to UCAS tarriff points to decide who to interview.

I am really hoping for an interview as I have loads of little extra qualifications and a UCAS score of 637 but I am thinking that maybe this isn't enough to get to interview

Dont panic, just relax ! :smile: The highest UCAS score that I have seen on here is 780 and the lowest is 650 that got an interview. So the first batch of applicants that got an interview is likely to vary around 130 points. And remember that probably all the people of TSR that got an interview have it on the 1st of december so thats probably the first date. You're only 13 points below 650 so its highly likely that you get an interview on the second date.
Original post by ViceVersa
Are you sure though?

Not definite, but the number they interview won't rise by much. Keele for 2010 entry had 1400 applicants, and interviewed around 400, whereas for 2011 they had 3000 and interviewed 545. Just one example of a medical school that had a big rise in applicants but the number interviewed didn't increase drastically, BL have only had a rise of 25% or so whereas Keele had over twice as many more as the year before, and interviews only rose by around 38%.

Point is, the number interviewed shouldn't rise by that many, and even if they do the interview : offer ratio is still pretty high, be glad you were lucky enough to get an interview! :smile:
Original post by Normandy114
Not definite, but the number they interview won't rise by much. Keele for 2010 entry had 1400 applicants, and interviewed around 400, whereas for 2011 they had 3000 and interviewed 545. Just one example of a medical school that had a big rise in applicants but the number interviewed didn't increase drastically, BL have only had a rise of 25% or so whereas Keele had over twice as many more as the year before, and interviews only rose by around 38%.

Point is, the number interviewed shouldn't rise by that many, and even if they do the interview : offer ratio is still pretty high, be glad you were lucky enough to get an interview! :smile:

So basically it's like 60% chance. And thanks I do feel lucky :smile:
Original post by Iepnauy
:frown: Gah. I'm so jealous of everyone getting interviews at BL. I want one so badly :'(...
Oh well, hopefully I'll hear something in the next couple of days.

Btw, do any of you know when BL rejections come out? I don't want false hope only to find I've been rejected in March/April :'(

Last year all rejections were handed out late february/march time, though this year I've heard a rumour of someone being rejected. Not sure if it's true or not, but if they were rejected it's probably due to failing to meet minimum requirements :dontknow:

A while yet :redface:

I didn't hear about my interview until january time, and people were still being called to interview in february... don't get too impatient!
Original post by aidanwryan01
how are people told about interviews at barts? does UCAS change to invited to interview? or how does it work... have they announced their cut-offs yet?

If it's the same as my year then you'll get an e-mail first, then the same thing but via post a few days later. UCAS doesn't change until the final decision for BL.

Cut-off's won't be announced for a long time yet probably. But the undergraduate UKCAT cutoff for undergraduates has been set at 600 average :yy:
Original post by aidanwryan01
how are people told about interviews at barts? does UCAS change to invited to interview? or how does it work... have they announced their cut-offs yet?

I got it through my Gmail :yes: and no cut-off will be announced until well after April

I am really hoping for an interview as I have loads of little extra qualifications and a UCAS score of 637 but I am thinking that maybe this isn't enough to get to interview

Original post by Scarface-Don
Dont panic, just relax ! :smile: The highest UCAS score that I have seen on here is 780 and the lowest is 650 that got an interview. So the first batch of applicants that got an interview is likely to vary around 130 points. And remember that probably all the people of TSR that got an interview have it on the 1st of december so thats probably the first date. You're only 13 points below 650 so its highly likely that you get an interview on the second date.

What scarface said :yep: I got an interview with 650 so I see no problem with you getting an interview too. In other words, be checking your email :tongue:
Reply 1386
Why do they take so long to announce cutoffs. It's not like we can do anything to our apps anyways. Kinda stupid policy imo.
Original post by .eXe
Why do they take so long to announce cutoffs. It's not like we can do anything to our apps anyways. Kinda stupid policy imo.

Well it's probably because the cutoff could change.

Think about it, atm it could be, say 500 points as a random number (UCAS tariff).
They interview all those above 500 points, if they don't like the interviews then they aren't going to give offers to people they don't want, so they might then interview people above 490 etc till they give out enough offers.

Hence why it's better to release the cutoffs after the cycle is finished :smile:
Reply 1388
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Well it's probably because the cutoff could change.

Think about it, atm it could be, say 500 points as a random number (UCAS tariff).
They interview all those above 500 points, if they don't like the interviews then they aren't going to give offers to people they don't want, so they might then interview people above 490 etc till they give out enough offers.

Hence why it's better to release the cutoffs after the cycle is finished :smile:

Hmm that's a good point I never thought of it that way. Thanks!
Original post by .eXe
Hmm that's a good point I never thought of it that way. Thanks!

Anytime :hat2:
Reply 1390
if you had general studies as a 5th a-level does that count on the tarrif points?
Original post by praj1
if you had general studies as a 5th a-level does that count on the tarrif points?

Yes if you put it on your application :smile:
Reply 1392
So excited :woo:
Original post by Revent
So excited :woo:

Calm down and do some interview prep :tongue:
Last year all rejections were handed out late february/march time, though this year I've heard a rumour of someone being rejected. Not sure if it's true or not, but if they were rejected it's probably due to failing to meet minimum requirements :dontknow:

A while yet :redface:

I didn't hear about my interview until january time, and people were still being called to interview in february... don't get too impatient!

If it's the same as my year then you'll get an e-mail first, then the same thing but via post a few days later. UCAS doesn't change until the final decision for BL.

Cut-off's won't be announced for a long time yet probably. But the undergraduate UKCAT cutoff for undergraduates has been set at 600 average :yy:

So just out of curiosity, until when does Barts interview people?
Original post by Scarface-Don
So just out of curiosity, until when does Barts interview people?

Last interviews were the 3rd week of February in the cycle just gone iirc :smile:
Last interviews were the 3rd week of February in the cycle just gone iirc :smile:

Reply 1397
Has anyone ever heard anything about interviews on weekends? I'm so impatient haha!
Original post by ViceVersa
I got it through my Gmail :yes: and no cut-off will be announced until well after April

What scarface said :yep: I got an interview with 650 so I see no problem with you getting an interview too. In other words, be checking your email :tongue:

Thanks scarface and ViceVersa. I really would like to go to Barts so fingers crossed:colondollar:
Thanks scarface and ViceVersa. I really would like to go to Barts so fingers crossed:colondollar:

Yepp, just wait for that E-mail :smile:. At least you're not going to be interviewed the first interview date like I am :afraid: probably with all those crazy amazing IB candidates :afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending