The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Freshers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel
Last year for Maths we got sent a workbook with questions and practice in- it's quite a lot tbh. It will be helpful if you do it but it's more just for going over things yourself so noone will check if you've done it. I think there's a link online on the Maths BUYS page but you have to login and it won't let me in- maybe because you need to be a fresher to view it or something...

I'm a fresher and I can't log into it either, how did you log into it last year?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 121
Do you guys know if we're meant to enter our modules online before we get to durham?
Reply 122
Original post by LukethePianoMan
I'm a fresher and I can't log into it either, how did you log into it last year?

I got on to it a while ago (without a password somehow) but I can't get on anymore, I do have the booklet of questions though, saved on my computer I think so if you PMed me your email address I could probably sent it
Reply 123
Original post by Forums^^
Hello, I'll be applying for Durham Physics in 2012 and was wondering if you could share any useful tips/advice/knowledge that helped you when you were applying. I know you're probably sick of ucas and such by now but any help on anything to do with my application would be greatly appreciated ^^

I hope you have a great time a Durham.

I applied early. Mid October (Oxbridge/ medicine deadline), whereas a someone I know applied in January and didn't get in. I never saw his personal statement. I was predicted AAA (for physics requirements AAA) and no interviews.
Original post by rebeccap
I got on to it a while ago (without a password somehow) but I can't get on anymore, I do have the booklet of questions though, saved on my computer I think so if you PMed me your email address I could probably sent it

Same here, I have the booklet too, I just can't get onto BUYS to get onto the other resources :frown: I hope it is fixed soon :smile: I also have all the physics prepatory work to do!
Reply 125
I still haven't got a DSU pack, and no sign of any accommodation agreement anywhere.
Should I be fretting?
Original post by Gilbird
I still haven't got a DSU pack, and no sign of any accommodation agreement anywhere.
Should I be fretting?

If you've been allocated a room, then the student contract for your halls of residence should be on your AES. This is what happened with me btw.
Reply 127
Original post by Gilbird
Should I be fretting?

Original post by Seasick Steve
If you've been allocated a room, then the student contract for your halls of residence should be on your AES. This is what happened with me btw.

I think different colleges put up their contract on the AES at different times.
Reply 128
Original post by rebeccap
I think different colleges put up their contract on the AES at different times.

You're at Mildert aren't you?
Is yours up cos I'd sort of forgotten about it til now, but can't find it.
Hopefully it's not or I've turned legally blind....
Trying to set up a direct debit, its asking for my student ID number. Anyone know where I can find it?
Original post by rubberdam123
Trying to set up a direct debit, its asking for my student ID number. Anyone know where I can find it?

I was going to say that it should be the number on your campus card, then realised that that is incredibly unhelpful. :colondollar: My second thought is that it might be a number that you've used for UCAS.
Original post by Awoodrow2
I was going to say that it should be the number on your campus card, then realised that that is incredibly unhelpful. :colondollar: My second thought is that it might be a number that you've used for UCAS.

It didn't work when i used my UCAS number. Do you know when the deadline is to set up the direct debit??
It didn't work when i used my UCAS number. Do you know when the deadline is to set up the direct debit??

What's the direct debit for?
Original post by Awoodrow2
What's the direct debit for?

accommodation.
Reply 134
I'm really excited for freshers week, and the events seem really cool, I was just wondering: is it best to buy the tickets beforehand? Will they run out during fresher's week? -- I mean the tickets for fresher's bop and ball. Because although I def want to go to the events, I'm too lazy to buy the tickets before hand :smile:

Plus, how fancy is the dress for fresher's ball? Is it a black tie event?
Reply 135

It's your "unique pin" i think tehy call it, it's on the top of all the emails that Durham sends, and possibly letters too.
Reply 136
Original post by Bently7
You're at Mildert aren't you?
Is yours up cos I'd sort of forgotten about it til now, but can't find it.
Hopefully it's not or I've turned legally blind....

No mine's not up yet, I have this feeling I read it would be up from the 7th, but I'm not sure.
accommodation.

I think a quick Google Search got me the answer.
http://www.dur.ac.uk/treasurer/students/residence_charges/
If you pay by direct debit you are given longer to pay as the collection dates are extended to 1st December 2011, 1st February 2012 and 1st June 2012.
Reply 138
Original post by hiller
I'm really excited for freshers week, and the events seem really cool, I was just wondering: is it best to buy the tickets beforehand? Will they run out during fresher's week? -- I mean the tickets for fresher's bop and ball. Because although I def want to go to the events, I'm too lazy to buy the tickets before hand :smile:

Plus, how fancy is the dress for fresher's ball? Is it a black tie event?

Freshers ball will sell out although you might be able to buy someones off them if they dont want it, the bop is less likely to sell out before freshers week but if it hasnt it will very quickly once everyone is in Durham. And yes the ball is black tie.
Reply 139
Original post by Quagers
Freshers ball will sell out although you might be able to buy someones off them if they dont want it, the bop is less likely to sell out before freshers week but if it hasnt it will very quickly once everyone is in Durham. And yes the ball is black tie.

Great, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest