The Student Room Group

Uni student jailed for 16 months

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-14578057

i mean what a silly sausage, he was at uni and decided to go looting and now he wont be able to finish his degree for at least a year or 2 and now he will have a criminal record to boot, does anyone know what degree this **** was doing and what year of study he was in, id be shocked if he was doing a law or politics based degree

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ha gutted is all i can say, glad he has plenty of time to reflect on how many lives hes affected
I want him to have been doing Criminology, then he can spent the next 16 months analysing why he did what he did, and all the background causes.
(edited 12 years ago)
That's very sad, but you do the crime :tongue:
Reply 4
He was taking International Politics at Aberystwyth University. It’s one of the best departments in the world for International Politics. However, the punishment was uncalled for and harsh.

16 months for looting some ****. Sorry, but Politicians got less than that when they were robbing the people of so much more.
It says he's an English undergraduate, so erm, let me think...ENGLISH DEGREE?
Reply 6
Lol idiot some people just can't help themselves can they...also there does seem to be a subculture of students who think they can do what they like with no consequences. Only a minority [I think] but I hear them talking on the back of the bus or on the way to a demo allll the time like *grammar school voice* "yah **** the police man".
The main question is, will he pay increased fees when he goes back?
Reply 8
By the looks of his mugshot he was doing philosophy or classics and spent most of his maintenance loan on weed.
Reply 9
Good riddance.
Reply 10
He must really be kicking himself right now, because its not even like it was a planned thing, he mustve walked past the looted Tesco and thought he'd look around and see if he could find anything on impulse, he didnt even take anything in the end.

Not saying that that excuses his actions, but that it doesnt make him a hardened criminal and couldve happened to anyone in a moment of madness.

Ah well, another one bites the dust...:moon:
He studied English literature and creative writing.

He has an uncommon name so just typed it into facebook and found him.
Bit scary that it's now possible to do that really.
Original post by BenjyK
He must really be kicking himself right now, because its not even like it was a planned thing, he mustve walked past the looted Tesco and thought he'd look around and see if he could find anything on impulse, he didnt even take anything in the end.

Not saying that that excuses his actions, but that it doesnt make him a hardened criminal and couldve happened to anyone in a moment of madness.

Ah well, another one bites the dust...:moon:

It says he stole a bottle of alcohol and dropped it when the police arrived.
Reply 13
Original post by arob752
The main question is, will he pay increased fees when he goes back?

i think his uni has already kicked him to be honest so he wont be able to go back there and will have trouble with other unis because he will be convicted then, but i know a good few unis that dont even do criminal record checks, i know a few people in middlesex and kingston uni that have been convicted for fraud and theft before, they just said they had never been convicted on ucas and i think no one bothered checking to save money
Reply 14
Original post by Iron Mask Duval
He studied English literature and creative writing.

He has an uncommon name so just typed it into facebook and found him.
Bit scary that it's now possible to do that really.

i know lol, when sometimes i buy crap off ebay and the person doesnt send it, i can enter in their email and find their facebook, then just make a new account and harass them
Reply 15
Original post by economics_dismal
It says he's an English undergraduate, so erm, let me think...ENGLISH DEGREE?

i could try to deny my stupidness here and say i meant what kind of english degree but the truth is you got me:frown::frown:
Original post by jus2sik
i think his uni has already kicked him to be honest so he wont be able to go back there and will have trouble with other unis because he will be convicted then, but i know a good few unis that dont even do criminal record checks, i know a few people in middlesex and kingston uni that have been convicted for fraud and theft before, they just said they had never been convicted on ucas and i think no one bothered checking to save money

I was joking :smile: I assumed he'd be kicked out
Reply 17
Original post by Struggle
He was taking International Politics at Aberystwyth University. It’s one of the best departments in the world for International Politics. However, the punishment was uncalled for and harsh.

16 months for looting some ****. Sorry, but Politicians got less than that when they were robbing the people of so much more.

this is undoubtedly harsh, i know people in prison for less time for selling heroin and 1 guy is in for 23 months for having a gun, now compare the 16 month sentence to the 23 month gun offence then you can see this only should have been a caution for him as i've read it was his first time in trouble with the law. But the truth is no one really cares at the moment, most of the thousands rioting could not be caught so their basically blaming everything on those caught even for the most minor reasons, some guy got 4 years for sending out a facebook message, he could have just been joking and not even gone out but their making an example out of who they can, and to be honest i just dont care that much, they took a risk and now their funked up
Does anybody know what sort of sentences you get for stealing signs or shopping trolleys at the end of nights out?
Such a shame how people can throw opportunities away like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending