The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Banoffeepie16
Ok, thank you. Have you been through the process yourself? :smile:

I'm not sure whether my re-sit should be the whole qualification re-entered, or if I'm meant to specify the particular module I'm re-sitting...

When I entered my resits I did the particular module that I was resitting. I think thats what you have to do otherwise it does give the impression that you're resitting the whole AS. I think your best option would be to wait until school starts again and go straight to your UCAS referee at school and ask him/her to help you input the info, our one at our school was fantastic :smile:
Original post by natashapt
When I entered my resits I did the particular module that I was resitting. I think thats what you have to do otherwise it does give the impression that you're resitting the whole AS. I think your best option would be to wait until school starts again and go straight to your UCAS referee at school and ask him/her to help you input the info, our one at our school was fantastic :smile:

Ok, thank you :smile:. Well I have to go and have my form checked by my college this Thursday, so I guess they'll tell me if it's wrong or not.

When you entered your pending A2s, did you enter your AS grades as part of them, with the pending A2 modules? Just out of curiosity :smile:
a few quick questions (if you could quote me in when you reply, that'd be great thanks)
1) so whats the deal with further maths then? (i just did C1-3, M1-2, S1 and as far as i'm aware, C1, C2 and M1 were counted for calculating my 'normal maths' AS)
2) if i did a subject as a private candidate which centre do i put it under? because for example i did the Arabic speaking in a different centre to my normal school
3) i did fast track AQA AS maths in yr11, moved schools for 6th form and then did Edexcel AS maths. do i put both?
Reply 183
A question:

I have read that ALL grades for GCSEs have to declared. However, to what extent would this be true? For example, for GCSEs I achieved good grades (11.5A*, 1A) including maths and english, science. BUt my high school was quite bad, so we all had to sit stuff like "adult numeracy"/"adult literacy", which tbh is designed for people who are unlikely to pass/take GCSEs anyway, and mostly for those who go into direct emplyment. These things are separate to my GCSEs.

Also, looking at my certificates from high school, there's is random stuff like "sports leaders", which I think will only disadvantage me and do not even know how it is relevant.
ATM, it seems as if I would be at a disadvantage when applying to the top unis with these BTECs,etc., and (although good) my actual GCSE/AS grades would not even be looked at when the tutors first see these "joke" qualifications.

Sorry for the rant. But having worked hard for everything thus far, and now realising that I have a disadvantage because of these compulsary things in my school is depressing.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm just wondering when clicking on the qualification on the application, for AS's...is it Advanced Sub (from 2001)?
Original post by twig
A question:

I have read that ALL grades for GCSEs have to declared. However, to what extent would this be true? For example, for GCSEs I achieved good grades (11.5A*, 1A) including maths and english, science. BUt my high school was quite bad, so we all had to sit stuff like "adult numeracy"/"adult literacy", which tbh is designed for people who are unlikely to pass/take GCSEs anyway, and mostly for those who go into direct emplyment. These things are separate to my GCSEs.

Also, looking at my certificates from high school, there's is random stuff like "sports leaders", which I think will only disadvantage me and do not even know how it is relevant.
ATM, it seems as if I would be at a disadvantage when applying to the top unis with these BTECs,etc., and (although good) my actual GCSE/AS grades would not even be looked at when the tutors first see these "joke" qualifications.

Sorry for the rant. But having worked hard for everything thus far, and now realising that I have a disadvantage because of these compulsary things in my school is depressing.

Yes, you must declare them all but, no, you are not suffering any disadvantage at all.
Original post by Banoffeepie16
Ok, thank you :smile:. Well I have to go and have my form checked by my college this Thursday, so I guess they'll tell me if it's wrong or not.

When you entered your pending A2s, did you enter your AS grades as part of them, with the pending A2 modules? Just out of curiosity :smile:

I think I just entered pending A2's without the AS I think, I can't be certain as it was a whole 10 months ago and my memory is pretty useless :L Well done on you getting it completed and stuff so early too, it'll be such a huge stress off you, especially if youv got your personal statement down :smile:
You enter your as grades as achieved, then separately enter your a2 grades as pending. There shouldn't be an option to enter them together as they're different qualifications? Your as levels will be entered as 'advanced subsidiary level' or something along those lines and your a2s are a levels. Your college should explain this all to you.
Also, when entering a resit I did it how you have done it.
Original post by natashapt
I think I just entered pending A2's without the AS I think, I can't be certain as it was a whole 10 months ago and my memory is pretty useless :L Well done on you getting it completed and stuff so early too, it'll be such a huge stress off you, especially if youv got your personal statement down :smile:

Ok thank you :smile: well my college wanted us to do it early, so I rushed ahead :tongue: My personal statement is pretty much complete so yes it does feel like a weight off my shoulders.

Thank you for your help :biggrin:
Original post by Shelly_x
You enter your as grades as achieved, then separately enter your a2 grades as pending. There shouldn't be an option to enter them together as they're different qualifications? Your as levels will be entered as 'advanced subsidiary level' or something along those lines and your a2s are a levels. Your college should explain this all to you.
Also, when entering a resit I did it how you have done it.

Ok, thank you for the advice :smile: Since then, I have entered into my re-sit the particular module I am re-sitting so hopefully this is right.
Reply 190
Original post by Minerva
This is just a brief post for now - I will extend it when there's more time. This post relates specifically to students offering GCSEs and AS/A levels because that's where most of our questions come from: now that the AS results are out many people fret about what they'll need to declare and how this will affect their applications, especially if those AS levels didn't go so well.

However, the same principles apply for all qualifications. If you aren't doing AS/A levels, you should read the UCAS page on what to enter and how.

The essentials for everybody are that you MUST declare ALL qualifications you hold. This means any 'public' examination for which you have received, or will receive, a formal certificate. So the following have to be entered, as applicable, on your application

all GCSEs graded A* to G (yes, including that embarrassing D for ICT you got in Year 9)

all your AS grades (A-E), even if you plan to resit modules to improve them, unless you are in a private school that has a policy of not certificating AS levels in Year 12. All State schools are now certificating AS levels in Year 12 routinely, where before a minority didn't

all your A level grades (A*-E), if applicable

if you have completed your resits and been awarded a new grade for an AS or A level, you need to enter BOTH results

A U grade in an AS or an A level does not have to be entered UNLESS you plan to resit it.

You will be expected to declare all your resit plans: yes, this does mean entering things twice, once with a result and again with a pending result.

Declaring individual module grades is optional, except where a university states in its prospectus that it wishes to see these. You enter grades, not UMS, unless the uni has specifically asked for UMS (few do). In that case you enter the UMS in the 'other' box; you won't be able to enter both grade and UMS. According to UCAS most unis prefer to see module grades, so stellar UMS should be mentioned by your referee, if at all.

It is not worth trying to hide things you don't like by 'forgetting' about them. By doing this you potentially invalidate your application and could lose offers and even a place if you are found out. Submitting your UCAS application means that you are confirming that all the information required has been provided, is complete, and accurate.

A note about predictions
There is no mileage whatsoever in being predicted grades for A2 well above what you achieved at AS, unless your referee is going to be able to provide a credible explanation for the difference and confirms that the prediction is realistic. Your school or college should be willing to tell you what your predictions are (you can't target your application sensibly unless they do) but do not expect to be able to 'make' them up your predictions just because you are 'sure' you can improve that C at AS to an A* at A2. Teachers generally know what they're doing. A school or college getting a reputation for consistently over-predicting helps no-one, least of all the applicants who then end up with a whole load of rejections (because unis admissions tutors aren't silly) or (perhaps worse) with offers they have little or no prospect of actually meeting.

Hi, it's apparently my school's policy to declare all AS grades as 'pending'. Will this put me at a disadvantage because it will look like I'm resitting them all when I'm not? Is this likely to change this year with the new rule? (I don't think they've cashed in the AS marks though because I just got a sheet with unit grades on results day). Also, I read somewhere that this is the first year when all resits will have to be declared, please could you explain this? :smile:
Reply 191
Is it right to say that since I attend a regular state school regardless of their cash-in policy whether they do or don't do it, I will this year due to new regulation have to enter all of my as module grades except resits which will be classed as pending.
Reply 192
Original post by liviluck
Hi, it's apparently my school's policy to declare all AS grades as 'pending'. Will this put me at a disadvantage because it will look like I'm resitting them all when I'm not? Is this likely to change this year with the new rule? (I don't think they've cashed in the AS marks though because I just got a sheet with unit grades on results day). Also, I read somewhere that this is the first year when all resits will have to be declared, please could you explain this? :smile:
They can only have this policy if they don't certificate AS results in Year 12. I assume you attend an independent school? If so, they will write in your reference as a standard comment that not certificating in Year 12 is their policy.

Resits have always had to be declared if the previous results were certificated, and in some cases when they were not if a uni asked for them.
Why are private schools different?! Seems like they have an advantage :angry:
Reply 194
Original post by Minerva
They can only have this policy if they don't certificate AS results in Year 12. I assume you attend an independent school? If so, they will write in your reference as a standard comment that not certificating in Year 12 is their policy.

Resits have always had to be declared if the previous results were certificated, and in some cases when they were not if a uni asked for them.

Yes it's an independent school. As far as I'm aware they don't certificate results in year 12, as I haven't been given actual AS results statements, just unit results. Oh that's good, thank you for your help!
Reply 195
This year I done some Jan exams and got a c in maths core 1, i retook during this as-level year and got an A in june.
My teacher said the university will never know about the retake as i did it in my as-year, is this true?
Original post by Alpha5
This year I done some Jan exams and got a c in maths core 1, i retook during this as-level year and got an A in june.
My teacher said the university will never know about the retake as i did it in my as-year, is this true?

Yes, unless, like Cambridge, they ask for the results of every exam you have taken. Or unless the original AS was certificated and you retook the whole thing.
Reply 197
thanks mate
During the retake i hadn't been certificated with a maths as, but since then retake was with other maths exams that made up the entire as-level, I will be certificated now.

My schools policy, being a state school is unknown. but what might be useful is the fact that my results slip had overall grades for each as and unit grades. So i'm guessing they certificate as-levels.

So does this mean that since they certificate my as-level after my retake, then no unversity will know it retook a january module in june.
Original post by Alpha5

So does this mean that since they certificate my as-level after my retake, then no unversity will know it retook a january module in june.

Only those that ask specifically for all results, like Cambridge, would.
Reply 199
Hi guys,

OK, so I took my all my A level exams by June 2010, they were cashed-in and certified and I went off to uni, where I dropped out after two months. I then resat my Chemistry A2 exams, and the new result has once again been cashed in, a grade higher. Several questions:

I resat in my original school, but in order to state the date of certification of my Chemistry result I have to state that I was in FT education there until June 2011, which I wasn't. So do I just leave it as that, or do I enter my school again as a second test centre under the dates I resat, as part time, and declare my Chemistry result under that?

If the above is the case, do I also declare my pre-resit grades with everything else? ie. declare Chemistry twice, one certified June 2010, the other June 2011?

I'm getting proper confused, as I phoned Liverpool Uni, and at first the woman was all "no, just put your resits", and then she was "actually, put everything".

Thanks in advance for any advice

Latest

Trending

Trending