The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You guys are getting a lot of misinformation - if you don't carry forward an AS to A2, then the AS itself is worth a grade (if you carry it on, we just work out the grade for the overall A-level so not to double-count the qualification).

Even if it's an e at AS it's worth 20 points, why would you leave it off? when the calls come through in clearing the way that academics such as myself decide who to phone first is to total the points they have - why are you robbing yourself of points and dropping yourself down the list?

Moreover, why are you creating a problem for yourself when I check on the system and see you have qualifications that you have not declared - that turns you into a liar, why am I going to pick a liar over an honest student?
Reply 1181
Original post by Wa 007
Oh okay thanks , so for places like ucl they just want overall ums. two questions hah 1. If i'm retkaing one maths module will it come up as pending on ucas?

2. Does ucl pt high emphasis on GCSEs and high AS UMS scores for courses like economics?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Yes you will have to enter the retake as pending. I don't know the answer to your second question, would suggest you look at their prospectus and check out the economics forum.

Original post by oli_G
Question:

if you have an AS level you are doing over 2 years (so it is incomplete) do you mention it on ucas? I won't have a grade for it - as i've done 2/3 modules?
Yes, you will need to enter it as a pending qualification.
Reply 1182
Original post by ArisR16
Got my results today. Got a B, C, C and a U. Will be trying my upmost in improving other grades except for the U which I am dropping. The 'U', I got was in a subject that is irrelevant to my course that I want to study at University. Should I hide it or is it better off entering on the UCAS form? Will it also affect what universities think of me if I enter the grade?
If you don't plan to retake the subject you got a U grade in, in the UCAS guidance it says you don't need to enter it. When you come to submit your application, it asks you whether you have entered everything, including subjects you've failed. The best bet is to ring UCAS and see what the adviser you get today says.

Original post by Wa 007
i think you have to enter all your grades even if you re dropping it

Original post by lausa22
Just so I understand this, so I don't mess up later.

I got an E in Chemistry A-Level. So on my UCAS form I would enter my grades once for AQA Chemistry A-Level. And then do it again with 'Pending' instead of the grades for just the A2 level? I'm not planning on resitting any AS ones, so I'd just leave those grades on there and only change the A2 modules to pending?
Yes.

Original post by 24DJF
I have two questions. I did an AS level in Year 11, do I have to declare this even though I did this at a different school to my sixth form and I did an extra module in Maths this year that didn't go well, do I have to declare that even though it's an extra module?
You have to declare the AS. If you aren't going to take the other modules required to complete a qualification, you can omit that extra module.

Original post by Username_valid
What if you re-took exams in June (the first sitting was in January) so on your result slip you have two results for one module, would you need to put both of them down or just the higher mark?
The higher one.

Original post by M^2012
I don't think that my school certifies AS results. I'm sure that my Head of Sixth said that at some point this year, and on the results statement, only module grades were listed on it, not overall AS grades. Does this mean that I can't list the AS on the UCAS Form, apart from as modules inside the pending A2s, as they haven't been officially awarded as AS qualifications?
You would enter them as a pending AS as well, as the AS is a qualification in its own right.
I received my AS Level results on Thursday but I don't know how to submit those results to UCAS. I was told that for subjects we were continuing into A2 we entered the qualification as a GCE Advanced Level pending August 2013. However, this doesn't include an option where you can make clear your overall AS grade. Are we supposed to enter in every AS we've taken as a GCE Advanced Subsidiary (First Award 2001) and also enter in A2 subjects as the GCE Advanced Levels? We received an overall grade for each subject on the results slip so they've been certificated but I don't know how to enter the information into UCAS.

Sorry, this is probably a stupid question but my school is not helpful with regards to UCAS applications.
Hi,
I have really bad grades at AS due to extenuating circumstances. The AS grades are not cashed in. Do put the AS grades as pending? I have good predicted grades but I couldnt take some of the modules during my summer exams due to my circumstances. I was wondering, if should still apply to my university choices - imperial, ucl, bath, Bristol and queens?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire
Original post by Kangaroo_rampage
Hi,
I have really bad grades at AS due to extenuating circumstances. The AS grades are not cashed in. Do put the AS grades as pending? I have good predicted grades but I couldnt take some of the modules during my summer exams due to my circumstances. I was wondering, if should still apply to my university choices - imperial, ucl, bath, Bristol and queens?

We need more information before we can answer that.
Reply 1186
Original post by Minerva

You have to declare the AS. If you aren't going to take the other modules required to complete a qualification, you can omit that extra module.

What if I plan to resit said module in January?
Reply 1187
Original post by 24DJF
What if I plan to resit said module in January?
Then you enter the whole thing as a pending qualification.
My extenuating circumstances were that my grandpa had cancer and he passed away in may and I had to go to back to my country which took 2 days. This meant that I had to miss 3 AS modules and now I have very bad results. Can you please answer my above post as you request more information.

Reply 1189
Original post by Kangaroo_rampage
My extenuating circumstances were that my grandpa had cancer and he passed away in may and I had to go to back to my country which took 2 days. This meant that I had to miss 3 AS modules and now I have very bad results. Can you please answer my above post as you request more information.

If your AS levels have been certificated then you must enter the overall grades awarded. If they were not, you enter them as pending qualifications.

You should ask your referee to explain the circumstances which affected your results in your reference. You would be well advised to discuss with your teachers whether your university choices are realistic in the circumstances. You may have better luck if you apply with your actual A level results.
On my results sheet, i have an overall grade for my a level maths, does that mean it has been cashed in? I have also got 2 spare modules which will go towards further maths/additional fm eventually. How do I enter these 2 extra modules, enter them as pending as they haven't been cashed in yet?
Reply 1191
Original post by The_Gina
On my results sheet, i have an overall grade for my a level maths, does that mean it has been cashed in?
Yes.
I have also got 2 spare modules which will go towards further maths/additional fm eventually. How do I enter these 2 extra modules, enter them as pending as they haven't been cashed in yet?
Yes again :smile:
If you've done A2, is it acceptable to write done both your AS and A2 grades (e.g. A in biology AS, B in A2, etc)?
Do you have to state both your AS overall AS grade (old and newly re-certified)? ie year 12 got AS Physics c, year 13 AS physics A?
Reply 1194
Original post by joker12345
If you've done A2, is it acceptable to write done both your AS and A2 grades (e.g. A in biology AS, B in A2, etc)?

Original post by Lightingspeed
Do you have to state both your AS overall AS grade (old and newly re-certified)? ie year 12 got AS Physics c, year 13 AS physics A?

Do read the first post in this thread.

AS levels and full A levels are separate qualifications and must be recorded separately, even though the same AS modules contribute to the overall A level result. If you have resat modules and re-certificated the AS level you have to record each update of your overall grade as well.
Reply 1195
Original post by DJMayes
I received my AS Level results on Thursday but I don't know how to submit those results to UCAS. I was told that for subjects we were continuing into A2 we entered the qualification as a GCE Advanced Level pending August 2013. However, this doesn't include an option where you can make clear your overall AS grade. Are we supposed to enter in every AS we've taken as a GCE Advanced Subsidiary (First Award 2001) and also enter in A2 subjects as the GCE Advanced Levels? We received an overall grade for each subject on the results slip so they've been certificated but I don't know how to enter the information into UCAS.

Sorry, this is probably a stupid question but my school is not helpful with regards to UCAS applications.

I'd also like to know the answer to this question
Reply 1196
I'm planning to apply for Chemistry in Oxford and other places. Should I include my CIE results Breakdown (Modules)?

Grades were in June sitting:
Biology: a 94% breakdown: AAA
Chemistry: a 80% breakdown: ABA
Physics: a 88% breakdown: AAA
Maths: a 93% breakdown: AA

So, what would be the best thing to do?
So am I legally obliged to submit American SAT results, which are both a public examination and have there own designated slot on the application? I really don't want to scare the UK universities off because they think I'll bugger off to America.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Minerva
Do read the first post in this thread.

AS levels and full A levels are separate qualifications and must be recorded separately, even though the same AS modules contribute to the overall A level result. If you have resat modules and re-certificated the AS level you have to record each update of your overall grade as well.

I have done A level maths in 1 year, my teacher is not cashing in the whole A level just the AS units. Do I still declare my A level result on UCAS? (Or leave it as pending/not mention it?)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1199
Original post by Jammie Dodgers
I have done A level maths in 1 year, my teacher is not cashing in the whole A level just the AS units. Do I still declare my A level result on UCAS? (Or leave it as pending/not mention it?)
You should enter the AS as an achieved qualification and the A level as a pending one; you should be able to enter module grades in both cases.

Latest

Trending

Trending