The Student Room Group

The hardest A Level subject?

Scroll to see replies

Out of the ones I do, politics.
I can do the sciences. They're fine. Essay subjects kill me.
I found art pretty challenging. Not so much the actual technique (you can be a crap artist and still get an A) but more the sheer amount of work you're expected to produce >__> My teachers wanted us to do at least 4-6 hours work per week on top of our 4-5 hours of lessons, which was quite steep compared to my other subjects (essay based; essays usually take me 30mins-1hour to complete).
Reply 182
Chemistry- I spent half my time on bio and physics and the other half on passing chem. Still only got a C though :frown:

My chem A2 course was like the large quantity of info biology consisted of combined with the difficulty of concepts that physics presents and then some.
Reply 183
Further Maths.

I didn't even do it at A2, but FP2 looked pretty scary from what I saw.
Easily Chemistry, followed by Combined English. I got a B in Chemistry, but it took about four hours of revision a day. :s-smilie:
Music is SO easy! Granted there's a lot to learn, but apart from that there's barely any exam technique and all I've used is stuff from GCSE and ABRSM practical/theory.
Psychology was the same, just common sense and knowledge. LOVE it. :biggrin:
Reply 185
Feeling very nervous now, I picked Chemistry for AS :gasp: Strangely though my school has a higher pass rate in Chem than Bio and Phys...
Reply 186
Chemistry by an absolute mile !
I did Biology/Chemistry/Physics and Maths and Chemistry was by farr the worst!
Reply 187
Original post by Folks
Feeling very nervous now, I picked Chemistry for AS :gasp: Strangely though my school has a higher pass rate in Chem than Bio and Phys...

Don't worry about chemistry AS, its a nice and lovely subject if you work hard from the beginning of the year and don't believe what people say about it. I was told a lot of things about chemistry but I worked hard and had a high A in it and hopefully you get the same thing.
Government and Politics.

I did, English Literature, Psychology and History. Politics, for me, was the hardest subject 'exam-wise.'
(edited 12 years ago)
Ancient Greek/Travel & Tourism
Reply 190
Original post by TNT-TAZ
Don't worry about chemistry AS, its a nice and lovely subject if you work hard from the beginning of the year and don't believe what people say about it. I was told a lot of things about chemistry but I worked hard and had a high A in it and hopefully you get the same thing.

This makes me feel a little better. :biggrin: It's my favourite of the 3 sciences I'm taking so I'm sure that will help!
Reply 191
Original post by hellomoto170

Original post by hellomoto170
Out of interest for people who say Chemistry, is AS just as hard or is A2 the real killer? I plan on doing it for AS then dropping it, will I still struggle?

I would say the jump from AS to A2 is as big as (if not bigger than) the jump from GCSE to AS.
I would definitely say that A2 is the killer ! They took 90% of the real maths out of chem AS and crammed it all into A2 where not only do you have to learn new concepts but now you have to work out a whole bunch of pointless stuff that doesnt quite match the theories you thought you knew. Also as somebody previously mentioned it is a pain in the ass when you hit AS and they say right ......now.... everything you learnt at GCSE was utter **** now we're really guna screw with your heads.
Take it at AS by all means, if you're willing to work hard and seriously stay on top of all the work (i cant stress how important it is to reinforce things you learnt in lessons) then you'll probably be fine. But a huge huge tip from me, do not take it on to A2, absolutely the worst choice i made, Maths was easier than chem.
Reply 192
Original post by Letterbomb31
It's something that happens across the country every year with English Literature at A-level so it's not just my teachers, bro.

Well then there must be a lot of poor teachers, only the linguistically inept struggled at my school, everyone else did just fine.
For me it was Physics, but it depends on the person really.
Original post by bramz19
Well then there must be a lot of poor teachers, only the linguistically inept struggled at my school, everyone else did just fine.

Well, I managed to get a B in English Language so I wouldn't describe myself as "linguistically inept".
Reply 195
Original post by Letterbomb31
Well, I managed to get a B in English Language so I wouldn't describe myself as "linguistically inept".

If you got a B, then no, you aren't linguistically enept. You did okay.
Reply 196
aqa biology is definately the hardest a level course!
Original post by Rahul.S
aqa biology is definately the hardest a level course!

A couple of my friends completely bombed in Module 2. One got a U and one got an E, but they both got B's in January, so it wasn't there actual ability that was the problem.
How did you find Module 2?
Original post by ash121
English Literature and the languages

It's not particularly hard... I didn't read any literature that we were studying but I still got a B. It was pretty easy to blag.

Personally the hardest was Latin. The set texts killed me. My memory is not great so having to memorise roughly 20 pages of prose and 20 poems in Latin and English was a nightmare.
Reply 199
Original post by DoubleNegative
A couple of my friends completely bombed in Module 2. One got a U and one got an E, but they both got B's in January, so it wasn't there actual ability that was the problem.
How did you find Module 2?

got A this june :biggrin: the paper was wierd duo :confused: a kid with very little knowledge could of got C quite easily :eek: wbu?

Quick Reply

Latest