The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AAnonymous
Guys, i really need some advice :frown:
I really wanted to apply for Medicine but i didnt get the right grades at AS..
So after listing to my teachers, i applied to Pharmacy at KCL, UCL and Manchester and ive recieved offers from all 3 universities.

Is rejecting these offers and taking a gap year to apply to Medicine a bad idea? Im aiming to get A*A*A this year in Biology, physics and chemistry. If i did apply to medicine and i rejected my MPHARM offers, would i be able to reapply to these universities if i didnt get any medicine offers? Would UCL or KCL give me another offer for MPHARM if i reject them this year?

Sorry if my question is badly worded :frown:
Thanks for the help

Hi,
If your heat's set on medicine then i'd say go for it, take a gap year and re-apply :smile:
If you get the grades UCL and KCL require then i don't see why they wouldn't offer you another place next year.
Personnaly I would wait for results day and if your grades are indeed A*A*A (or whatever is needed for medicine) then pull out of the 2016 UCAS cycle. that way if you don't get quite so high grades you can still go to uni to do pharmacy this year. If your A levels go really well and you pull out of pharmacy you can re-apply for 2017 entry to do medicine and re-apply for one pharmacy course (as a sort of insurance for if you don't get into medicine).
i don't think doing a gap year is a bad idea at all! you could volunteer in smth medical abroad (i saw this kind of volunteeing opportunity just a few days ago) or get some work experience here in the uk.
hope this helped :smile:
good luck with your decision!
Can you apply to Oxford whilst at another university through UCAS. If so, can the current institution remove you from the course if they find out? Many thanks
Original post by IHaveaQuestion.
Can you apply to Oxford whilst at another university through UCAS. If so, can the current institution remove you from the course if they find out? Many thanks

https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/548/~/how-do-i-apply-if-i-am-already-studying-at-another-university%3F

Oxford would want you to get a reference from your university - that means you would have to speak to your tutor as soon as you start the course to convince them to help you reapply to Oxford and get a reference from them within a couple of weeks of arriving.

In other words - it's a terrible idea. You're starting a course with no intention to finish - that isn't appealing to Oxford and it isn't a sensible use of your time. If you want to apply to Oxford take a gap year don't start another course.
Original post by PQ
https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/548/~/how-do-i-apply-if-i-am-already-studying-at-another-university%3F

Oxford would want you to get a reference from your university - that means you would have to speak to your tutor as soon as you start the course to convince them to help you reapply to Oxford and get a reference from them within a couple of weeks of arriving.

In other words - it's a terrible idea. You're starting a course with no intention to finish - that isn't appealing to Oxford and it isn't a sensible use of your time. If you want to apply to Oxford take a gap year don't start another course.

To meet the UCAS deadline I would be applying a week after lectures began. Would it still be appropriate to use my school reference as nobody would know me at the university yet?
Original post by IHaveaQuestion.
To meet the UCAS deadline I would be applying a week after lectures began. Would it still be appropriate to use my school reference as nobody would know me at the university yet?

Oxford are specifically asking for a reference from your university. They wouldn't say that if they wanted a reference from your school.
Hey everyone,

If you are thinking about going to university then check out this video and it might help you make your mind up!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:

https://youtu.be/N6C5CgzOIHM

Laura :smile:
Okay. I was wondering that because I got really bad grades at AS - DECC. I had to work extremely hard for my A levels and had to resit some modules. If I get better than my predicted grades and have the chance to get into a better university as a result. If I take a gap year and do some work experience for my course etc. On the Ucas application do I have to state my AS results even though I have my actually A levels.

Sorry if what I'm saying is not that clear - I'm really bad at explaining myself.
Original post by helpneeded13
Okay. I was wondering that because I got really bad grades at AS - DECC. I had to work extremely hard for my A levels and had to resit some modules. If I get better than my predicted grades and have the chance to get into a better university as a result. If I take a gap year and do some work experience for my course etc. On the Ucas application do I have to state my AS results even though I have my actually A levels.

Sorry if what I'm saying is not that clear - I'm really bad at explaining myself.

You have to declare all qualifications - that means you'd have to put in your AS grades. Both universities aren't going to give a crap about poor AS grades if you've managed to get good A level grades....they're looking for applicants who will peak academically while at university so showing vast improvement between Yr 12 and 13 is a very positive thing in your application.
I've had a couple of bad exams and needed AAB to study Economics at Manchester University next year, but may get as low as BBC depending on results. I could be forced to retake as many as 5 exams during a gap year, so would universities discriminate against me for taking another year to resit A-Levels?Also, would self-teaching another full A-Level in the gap year be worth looking at? I will have a lot of time and will have the resources to do this to an A grade standard, so I was wondering if that would be an option.
Hi guys I need your help with a query I've got!

Basically to keep it short, I applied for uni last september 2015 for a course in Architecture. Grades where sound, portfolio etc got sent and eventually got accepted where I wanted to go. But due to a few personal issues I had to reject my offer, basically I want to know if I go to reapply lets say this upcoming year or even 2017/18, will applying with the same portfolio cause any problems? Or will I have to start from scratch again? (And yes I'm applying for the same course, just at a different Uni)
Original post by benfrank12
Hi guys I need your help with a query I've got!

Basically to keep it short, I applied for uni last september 2015 for a course in Architecture. Grades where sound, portfolio etc got sent and eventually got accepted where I wanted to go. But due to a few personal issues I had to reject my offer, basically I want to know if I go to reapply lets say this upcoming year or even 2017/18, will applying with the same portfolio cause any problems? Or will I have to start from scratch again? (And yes I'm applying for the same course, just at a different Uni)

Hi Benfrank,

Personally I do not see a major issue with applying with the same portfolio as it is your work at the end of the day. A portfolio being a combination of pieces you are most proud of and feel reflects your skills and yourself, even now I am adding to my portfolio but I do not feel you cannot re use the same pieces.We are always looking to update and improve our body of work but ultimately it is a reflection of yourself to interviewers and potentials clients.

If you are very worried, you could message them and double check, however as long as the work is yours then I think that is fine :smile:

Hope this helps,
Jay :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1371
How many years until an alevel qualification is void to enter a university? I plan to study further maths by myself with time duration either 6months-1year depending on peer opinions.
Hi Everyone,

Sorry to be a pain. Trying to write an article on the importance of work experience and having some trouble getting views from the student body. Would love the input of anybody who has a free moment to have a quick look through the survey below - 8 easy questions no sign up required.

https://goo.gl/forms/AAKcJYKlXZMu4wnU2

Much appreciated.
Oops, I made a thread, but didn't see this one!

I did my A-Levels in one year and sat all the exams in June and I'm not sure if I've met my offer. I badly mistimed two consecutive AS units for one of my subjects. I'm thinking of reapplying during a gap year.*

Now, some of the unis I want to apply to aren't fond of resits. However I'm not sure what constitutes a resit. *My understanding is that those who do A Levels over two years can retake some AS units in June alongside A2s without it being considered a "resit". Thus, they apply to uni before exams have been sat & certificated (cashed in).

None of my exams will be certificated (cashed in) and I wouldn't be sitting the entire thing, just 2-3 units across my 3 subjects (2 for one subject, 1 for another). Does that still count as a "resit"?

My understanding is that it constitutes a resit if it's either retaken after being cashed in OR you're resitting all of the units for an AS or A2 subject. Is this correct?

(PS. Ignore the asterix in my post - they seem to appear whenever I post via online browsers)
Original post by salty_candy
i sort of did, i have just decided i don't really want to go this year :tongue:
i'm just getting myself sorted out and am a bit worried if i go off to uni this year i'll go on a bit of a mad one and ruin my life somehow, so i'm going to work/travel/not have to get up for a year. Looking forward to it tbh

how did your gap year go?
Hi everyone! I am currently a Politics and IR with Philosophy minor student at New College of the Humanities! Please feel free to post any questions you have about studying at NCH, student life in London, our 1:1 tutorial system, our liberal arts curriculum etc. and I'll reply as soon as I can. We still have places available for September 2016 on all of our liberal arts-inspired, combined honors degree programs and any Clearing/Adjustment students wishing to apply can speak to a member of our Admissions Team by calling +44 0207 637 4550. Every student who applies is automatically considered for an academic scholarship worth up to £2,000 per year.
Hi everyone! I am currently a Politics and IR with Philosophy minor student at New College of the Humanities! Please feel free to post any questions you have about studying at NCH, student life in London, our 1:1 tutorial system, our liberal arts curriculum etc. and I'll reply as soon as I can. We still have places available for September 2016 on all of our liberal arts-inspired, combined honors degree programs and any Clearing/Adjustment students wishing to apply can speak to a member of our Admissions Team by calling +44 0207 637 4550.
Hi everyone! I am currently a Politics and IR with Philosophy minor student at New College of the Humanities! Please feel free to post any questions you have about studying at NCH, student life in London, our 1:1 tutorial system, our liberal arts curriculum etc. We still have places available for September 2016 on all of our liberal arts-inspired, combined honors degree programs and any Clearing/Adjustment students wishing to apply can speak to a member of our Admissions Team by calling +44 0207 637 4550.
I had a deferred offer for AAA which I missed and phoned up but no hope. I had A*AB and want to gap year and reapply.

I have extenuating circumstances which I didn't enter when first applying initially, then did enter after a few rejections to be told they would have counted but it was too late.
Is it worth reapplying with them, would they help a resit too if I tried to up my B to another A? And is there no hope in trying clearing then deferring the offer?
Thanks!
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions as to what to do...Today i found out that i got a DDE. D in AQA A Psychology, D in AQA English Literature and an E in OCR Economics. I was wondering if i could re-sit my AS and A2 modules in the summer of 2017 in an attempt to get better grades. But i'm not sure if this is possible. Can someone help me!

Latest