The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoshFlySon
Is it too late to deter entry for next year, meant to be starting in September but don't feel ready.

Ask your university, asap :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Just wondering if I'm able to resit my a2 levels this year as I got bbb and wanted aaa, so seeing as they are no longer taught wouod I still be able to apply to university's with them next year if I went to a private college and did resits

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know how St Andrews perceives retakes? And how they view mitigating circumstances?

The lady on the phone gave pretty careless answers to my questions and said she wasn't sure about my queries (there was nobody else to talk to) so I don't know how much weight to place on the fact that she said I would make a less competitive applicant.
Got 11A*s at GCSE and AAAAB at AS but missed my prediction of A*A*A to get AAB + an A in EPQ.
Is the gap year worth it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by flameskid0909
Anyone know how St Andrews perceives retakes? And how they view mitigating circumstances?

The lady on the phone gave pretty careless answers to my questions and said she wasn't sure about my queries (there was nobody else to talk to) so I don't know how much weight to place on the fact that she said I would make a less competitive applicant.
Got 11A*s at GCSE and AAAAB at AS but missed my prediction of A*A*A to get AAB + an A in EPQ.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi- I have just spoken to our friendly admissions advisers (I'm currently a student at New College of the Humanities (NCH)) who are quite knowledgable about these things, and they have said that St Andrews will often make your offer conditions higher if you do retakes, so, for example, if your offer this year was AAA, next year it might be A*A*A*.

Depending on the subject you are looking for, there are still good universities who would be willing to take good students.

What are you thinking of applying for?
Original post by flameskid0909

Posted from TSR Mobile

Call them again and ask - only St Andrews can answer this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
On my ucas it says conditional offer (firmly accepted) what does this mean?
hey guys quick Q for gap year applications on UCAS. my tutors pretty scary so id rather ask dumb qs here sorry. For my reference, UCAS says I should request the schools buzzword going through the 'options' section on the left hand side and it'll send them an email which the school can either accept or decline. But the 'Reference' section says i should fill in the reference details and then click the link which will send them an email to fill it in? what do I do.. Im applying independently but reference is from school teacher. Also can i ask them to fill in the reference section any time or does it have to be the last thing to be done before I send it off. (sorry this was long)
Hi,

I missed my firm choice Unis offer of ABB by getting BBC (I was one UMS away from BBB - remark came back the same), and really wanted to go there for distance - it's only 40 minutes away which would make it easier on me as for personal reasons I'd prefer not to be too far from my family. My insurance choice was three hours away, but I did like it which is why I kept it on there. I got in here, but am unsure what to do. There's only one other university nearer which takes my interest, it's an hour and a half away and I didn't visit it originally so am not sure if I'd like it there. I've considered waiting a year and going back to college in order to bide my time a bit, get extra UMS from coursework to achieve BBB, but due to the new spec I won't be able to retake my AS modules in Psychology (Got 2 As in the A2 exams, but it lowers to a B due to AS), and would have to go a year picking up a completely new subject to get an A in it - which I don't even know yet if I'll like - and without getting to study my chosen degree subject.

I struggle quite a bit with decisions, and unfortunately this one has put me in a dilemma; I want to go to university and feel this would be a great opportunity, I like the insurance choice Uni and the degree seemed good - but I'd rather be close to my family who also feel this way and some of which would struggle emotionally without me being there, and I don't feel I'm as ready as I'd like to be, but I'm scared of wasting a year.

Thanks to anybody who can even follow this, let alone give advice xD
Hey, I applied to Oxford (rejection), UCL (withdrawn), LSE (rejection), Warwick (offer) and Durham (offer) for PPE last year and now I am wondering if I can/should apply again also to universities which offered me a place? Will Warwick and Durham hold a grudge against me for rejecting them/ should I rather pick other unis instead?
I have exceeded all standard offers of these unis.. But I am just scared that I will end up with no place because another Oxford rejection is likely, I don't even want to reapply to LSE (and they might reject me again as well) and Warwick and Durham might not offer me a place again..
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by miri123456
hey guys quick Q for gap year applications on UCAS. my tutors pretty scary so id rather ask dumb qs here sorry. For my reference, UCAS says I should request the schools buzzword going through the 'options' section on the left hand side and it'll send them an email which the school can either accept or decline. But the 'Reference' section says i should fill in the reference details and then click the link which will send them an email to fill it in? what do I do.. Im applying independently but reference is from school teacher. Also can i ask them to fill in the reference section any time or does it have to be the last thing to be done before I send it off. (sorry this was long)

I applied individually last year too (international applicant - school was not registered).
You just send the request and then they can fill it in whenever they want (it just has to be completed before you send it off). If it's completed, the reference section will be ticked, so you would see it :smile:
Original post by scblx
Hey, I applied to Oxford (rejection), UCL (withdrawn), LSE (rejection), Warwick (offer) and Durham (offer) for PPE last year and now I am wondering if I can/should apply again also to universities which offered me a place? Will Warwick and Durham hold a grudge against me for rejecting them/ should I rather pick other unis instead?
I have exceeded all standard offers of these unis.. But I am just scared that I will end up with no place because another Oxford rejection is likely, I don't even want to reapply to LSE (and they might reject me again as well) and Warwick and Durham might not offer me a place again..

Universities don't hold grudges.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi need some information regarding UCAS my son is taking Gap year applying to medicine schools. With achieved Grades ,He has improved his personal statement,just asking when he registers Will he have same ID number and will they allow the personal statement to be changed he improved it a lot but some of it is same will it get flag as plagiarism or will they know it's the same person .He wants to use some of same information like GCSEs,AS results and add Achieved A levels and also wants to write about gap year ago of plans.
Original post by ronaldo222
Oh, that's fine I wasn't looking to go that high. How about unis like Leeds, Warwick, Loughborough?
I saw that a couple universities do clearing each year for the course I would like to do so does that mean they are more likely to give me a conditional offer at least?

Hey mate, I am taking a gap year to reapply for Leicester as this would be great for me but I'm worried BBC won't be enough, and this is what I'll likely get ? Would this be ok if I put them as first choice and is this what you did?
Cheers
Original post by alexp98
Hey mate, I am taking a gap year to reapply for Leicester as this would be great for me but I'm worried BBC won't be enough, and this is what I'll likely get ? Would this be ok if I put them as first choice and is this what you did?
Cheers

I got ACC and got Leicester through clearing, I don't see why you're aiming for BBC, just study hard during the gap year, get some motivation and use the gap year wisely.
I'm retaking and I'm aiming to get to a better uni than Leicester
Original post by ronaldo222
I got ACC and got Leicester through clearing, I don't see why you're aiming for BBC, just study hard during the gap year, get some motivation and use the gap year wisely.
I'm retaking and I'm aiming to get to a better uni than Leicester

I'm aiming for BBC cause I got CCC so that's realistic. I've also got to resit maths so isn't this the best I can aim for, any more is unrealistic
Original post by S1966
Hi need some information regarding UCAS my son is taking Gap year applying to medicine schools. With achieved Grades ,He has improved his personal statement,just asking when he registers Will he have same ID number and will they allow the personal statement to be changed he improved it a lot but some of it is same will it get flag as plagiarism or will they know it's the same person .He wants to use some of same information like GCSEs,AS results and add Achieved A levels and also wants to write about gap year ago of plans.

Hi. I took a gap year and reapplied last year. When you create a new UCAS account, your son will be given a new UCAS ID number. However once the application is sent off to universities, UCAS should automatically change the ID number back to your son's previous ID number that he had used to apply the year before. This happened to me - maybe it's because they knew I was the same applicant although I did reapply to UCAS through my sixth form.

I had also improved my personal statement but kept some of it the same and it didn't seem to cause a problem with plagiarism on UCAS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AS grades: AAAb
A2 grades: A* AA (2016)

Missed law place cos of Edexcel's incompetence in not marking A* in English Lit first time, didn't get deferred entry either.

Do I need a reference / or predicted grades considering I've already achieved A* AA in my first sitting?

And my old SFC is full of useless staff members and teachers for the most part, they probably won't even give me a reference.
Original post by naomi288
Hi. I took a gap year and reapplied last year. When you create a new UCAS account, your son will be given a new UCAS ID number. However once the application is sent off to universities, UCAS should automatically change the ID number back to your son's previous ID number that he had used to apply the year before. This happened to me - maybe it's because they knew I was the same applicant although I did reapply to UCAS through my sixth form.

I had also improved my personal statement but kept some of it the same and it didn't seem to cause a problem with plagiarism on UCAS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the information really appreciate it.However he is applying as independent but school still going to give him reference .He rang UCAS they said the same information regarding how the ID number will be changed back when he registers again they will know it is the same applican.
Original post by tanyapotter
I got my results (A*AAB) and despite meeting and exceeding my offer and gaining a place at University College London, I really, really don't want that B and I want to defer entry to redo it. My teachers are calling me dumb for even thinking about resitting exams for no reason. When will I get over it?

I know how you may feel wanting a clean sweep of grades A and above but don't waste your time trying to improve one grade when you have a place at a prestigious university, so effectively you don't need to, you may end up regretting it later, if you look at it in the way that you did 4 A levels and got amazing grades in them whereas many people just stick with 3, that should make you feel much better and motivated to do amazing in your degree. Good luck!:smile:
You'll mostly get over it within probably hours of moving in and starting your degree.

Which is not to say that you won't feel pissed off from time to time... I still feel that about one of my grades several decades on and I am quite sure that my son will occasionally feel a twinge about one of his.

It's no bad thing to have something like this lurking... it can mean you start university a bit less complacent than you otherwise might have.

Latest