The Student Room Group

What GCSE results do you consider to be good?

Scroll to see replies

For me good results would be all A*s and 8s with maybe 1 A max. I would be over the moon with any 9s, but anything below 8s/ A*s would probably make me feel a bit disappointed in myself (which is pretty ridiculous, yet I know I'm capable of getting those grades).
That's in terms of myself. For others, I just think anything worked hard for is good. But if I am going to be completely objective and honest, I'd say anything like mostly As and Bs is 'good' in my eyes.
Good luck for results day everybody!
(edited 6 years ago)
Personally, no B's. At least 7 A* and 3 A would be amazing. 5A* would be good too. I've always seen B as disappointing and A as 'average.'
Original post by chinkilicious
Personally, no B's. At least 7 A* and 3 A would be amazing. 5A* would be good too. I've always seen B as disappointing and A as 'average.'

Yeah same
Being Asian though, I'm not actually expecting straight A*s. No B's would be satisfactory in its own right...
The thing so different about TSR is that,everyone wants As as minimum which is quite crazy considering where I live the majority of people would be happy with Cs
A* for physics.
8 for maths
A's for the other sciences.
B for spanish
B (hopefully more) for history
At least a B for spanish
6's for English (tho it is quite possible that I might get 5's).
A for comp sci.
A for further maths AQA
Reply 226
This is what I would consider to be good in GCSEs currently:

Maths: 8/9 (A*/above A*)
English: 5 (C/B)
Science: 6 (B/A)
Geography: 6 (B/A)
Resistent Materials: 5 (C/B)
Systems and Control: 6 (B/A)
Computer Science: 8/9 (A*/above A*)

I might consider different results to be good in the future.
Are these good gcse grades ?
A* art
A* Spanish
A* English lit
A* Biology
A* French
A * georgraphy
A Physics
A Chemistry
A Maths
9 English lit
Original post by tbag1
It's completely subjective.

One person might be happy with enough passes to get them back into school to do A-levels. Personally, I got 9 A*s and 2 As and was slightly disappointed about the 2 As. I know my GCSEs are fantastic, but I still had that wee bit of disappointment.

Everyone is different :smile:

Same here I got 5As ,2Bs and 3Cs and I wanted 7A's , 2B's and 1C
Original post by mashman9
I really wouldnt worry about gcse's tooo much, there not a good indicator of ability...

Unless you want to go to oxbridge, a handful of A's, B's and C's should be fine :smile:

I had no A*, was very lazy scraped an A in maths, but now have A*A in maths, further maths at A level, aswell as a B in phyeics when i got a B in gcse physics.

So as long as you do enough to get onto the a level courses you want, i wouldnt worry too much :smile:

Omg that is exactly like me . I wish I tried harder on a few subjects but my grades were average
A* fantastic
A terrible
B rubbish
C worthless
additionl maths doesn't count as half an A-level. Yes it does cover most of the AS maths course but it is considered as a level 2 qualification, although people are aware that it is significantly harder than GCSE and there are elements in it (i.e. Matrices) that are not even in A-level maths, only Further Maths A-level
Original post by N_young
tell me about it, + im abroad on results day so im gonna have to wait for my bro to call me n tell me...

2013 law?

im not the one to hate but who wants there results online? like if its online you cant constantly keep that web page through your whole life and people ca n hack it and change them to lower scores. for example you may be thing i only got 4 u's and yes u is the lowest but what about oh im a hacker oh lets see 4 u's. how many head have i got 1 oh lets just erase 3 subjects
The irony is that people are constantly typing on here that GCSE results aren't all that and most Uni's take little or no notice of them......except for Oxford that considers them as part of the application.
Original post by GLOB
:yep: I'm a wannabe lawyer, what are you hoping to do at university?

did you become a lawyer?

Quick Reply

Latest