The Student Room Group

What GCSE results do you consider to be good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Personally, i think that if you feel you have done your best and worked as hard as you could, then whatever you get on results day you should be pleased with.:smile:
I'm hoping to see a piece of paper with a load of A*s and As but if I get Bs and below I know i did my best. I started revising back in February/March time so if i had revised any more I think i would have made myself ill.:biggrin:
Reply 21
Original post by oboesian
Personally, i think that if you feel you have done your best and worked as hard as you could, then whatever you get on results day you should be pleased with.:smile:
I'm hoping to see a piece of paper with a load of A*s and As but if I get Bs and below I know i did my best. I started revising back in February/March time so if i had revised any more I think i would have made myself ill.:biggrin:

Such long revision would have prob killed me. Although i started revising back in March / April. And yh thats true, but it doesnt really work for me, im the kind of person that thinks, ppl before were able to get 10A*s so why shouldnt i be able to?
Reply 22
Although I was hoping for an A in my Enlgish Lit AS last week I'm happy with a C cos its my weakest subject and i took it a year early! However i was dissapointed with the E that I got in the exam, luckily the A in coursework brought the overall grade up to a C! :smile:
It depends on your an awful lot more on your socio-ecomnomic circumstances and upbringing than your intellingence.
Reply 24
Original post by oboesian
Although I was hoping for an A in my Enlgish Lit AS last week I'm happy with a C cos its my weakest subject and i took it a year early! However i was dissapointed with the E that I got in the exam, luckily the A in coursework brought the overall grade up to a C! :smile:

Coursework is a pain, im happy that im taking subject with almost NO coursework :biggrin:
Reply 25
I consider B to be a good grade, whilst C being average. Depends on the subject and the school where you have been taught, with a whole host of other enviromental factors contributing to the standard of a 'good' GCSE. 'Good' itself is a subjective term so there will of course be no correct answer and at best only a general consensus.
Reply 26
Even though the colleges I'm going to want minimum of B, I think A and A* Grades. I mean these days it's very competitive and to make things easier I think those grades help.
Personally I'm not even predicted those grades but I feel I going to get them and wave my big fat 'Who's laughing now' flag. :lol:
Reply 27
Original post by N_young
Maybe ur GCSEs made you realize that sitting back n being lazy isnt the best idea so u started working hard n got good grades on A level

Id agree on that

No gcses were boring, repetetive, tought by uninspiring teachers and didnt challenge me, thats why i didnt try...however when im faced with 2nd order differential equations and 3 dimensional vector and plane equations in fp3, i thought this is challenging, its interesting, my teachers are passionate about it...im going to give it my best shot.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Fantaisie
It depends on your an awful lot more on your socio-ecomnomic circumstances and upbringing than your intellingence.

Yes to some extent however a clever child with a large potential can succeed in even a very poor school, compared to a rich yet rather "thick" child who although has the best possible education still cannot exceed his/her capacity and thus will remain someone behind for the rest of their life. Intelligence cannot be taught, it is something you are born with / or not for some unfortunate ppl
Reply 29
I got 2A*, 5A 2B and 1C and I thought that was good enough for me.

On the day I remeber looking at the OCR results slip (the first to come out of the envelope) and I stared at the History - A* for 5 whole minutes. That was the only one I got massively excited about. As long as I passed the others I knew I'd be fine, and I got As in both Englishes and both Sciences, they were my next best. And getting a B in maths was an extra cherry on the icing :smile:

(The A* in Food Tech, A in RE, B in Drama and C in German were tbh less important to me)
Reply 30
Original post by Hullo
Even though the colleges I'm going to want minimum of B, I think A and A* Grades. I mean these days it's very competitive and to make things easier I think those grades help.
Personally I'm not even predicted those grades but I feel I going to get them and wave my big fat 'Who's laughing now' flag. :lol:

LOL!

Original post by rosee92
I got 2A*, 5A 2B and 1C and I thought that was good enough for me.

On the day I remeber looking at the OCR results slip (the first to come out of the envelope) and I stared at the History - A* for 5 whole minutes. That was the only one I got massively excited about. As long as I passed the others I knew I'd be fine, and I got As in both Englishes and both Sciences, they were my next best. And getting a B in maths was an extra cherry on the icing :smile:

(The A* in Food Tech, A in RE, B in Drama and C in German were tbh less important to me)

Everyone interprets Good in a different way, thus the reason i made this thread so that I could kinda see what ppl are aiming for, just in perspective one of my friends got on his A2 3A*A , the A was in bio and he missed the A* by 1 mark, due to that he didnt get accepted into Cambrdige
I got 8 A*'s 3 A'S and a B
I was over the moon.
One of my mates who I met at at hospital work experience got 10 A*'s from some private school and he was dissapointed with that.
So, it really depends. Also, depends what course you want to do, medic wannabe's usually need high grades in everything. Which is
a complete contrast to someone who wants to do plumbing after school.
So it really depends.
Reply 32
10 A*s and disappointed? erm what else could he get? there is not A**
BBBBBBBBBBBB or higher is pretty good.
Reply 34
Original post by ilickbatteries
BBBBBBBBBBBB or higher is pretty good.

You lick batteries? loooool xd
Reply 35
Original post by N_young

Original post by N_young
10 A*s and disappointed? erm what else could he get? there is not A**

My sister managed to get 11A*'s and 8A's, so I'm hoping for near enough the same... No less than a B- or I'll be crushed.
Original post by N_young
You lick batteries? loooool xd

Shocking, isn't it?
Reply 37
Original post by Ash07
My sister managed to get 11A*'s and 8A's, so I'm hoping for near enough the same... No less than a B- or I'll be crushed.

Your Sis did 19 GCSEs? I think thats a bit excessive, like colleges dont even give you 19 boxes to write ur GCSEs in it :O + the fact that if you have 19A*s or 9A* you are pretty much considered to be the same
Reply 38
Original post by ilickbatteries
Shocking, isn't it?

Ever tried that 9V one? stings pretty nicely
Hey everyone :P
I know the feeling! I was convinced I'd failed everything last year!
in the End I got
A* A* A A A A A B B C (C was in French, it was a compulsory subject :rolleyes:)

Now I was actually quite happy with that! Granted, it ain't all A*'s and it wasn't the highest in the school but don't kill yourself if you don't get all A*'s! It's frankly irrelevant!
AS Levels is a whole new ball game, word of advice, cramming works at GCSE. It doesn't work so well with AS :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest