The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ecokid
That's great and would definitely give you fantastic experience - my only concern would be that in 2 years time the situation regarding places/finances could be very different. For instance, funding could easily be slashed or withdrawn completely by the government - sure you'll be able to get a loan, but that depends if you fancy paying 9k per year? Also the job market is currently becoming more competitive, which is likely to only increase in the next few years.

Ultimately, you'd have more experience and money, plus you'd get to see what working in the NHS really is about before you commit; however, things could potentially change for the worse. It's really a toughie, but you'd have to go with your gut feeling about what would benefit you more. There's also a lot to be said about going to university after a few years of working life behind you. :smile:

This is a serious concern of mine too, but as you said, the job market is contracting and I could spend 3 years doing a degree (paying for accommodation and such) to end up jobless at the end, if I do this pharmacy technician thing then ill have 2 years pay, a skill, 2 qualifications (all in all equivilant to three A levels in Pharmaceutical science) and experience of working within the NHS. But its a hard one. Too many choices!!!
Reply 1981
Original post by JordanUK
I'm thinking of withdrawing from UCAS this year despite having two good offers. I have just been offered a job as a pre-reg hospital pharmacy technician which is a two year program. At the moment I think I will accept this, and reapply with deferred entry this September, it will give me time to save money for accommodation so I will hopefully leave with no loans at all.

which unis had u got into? xx
Reply 1982
Original post by JordanUK
I'm thinking of withdrawing from UCAS this year despite having two good offers. I have just been offered a job as a pre-reg hospital pharmacy technician which is a two year program. At the moment I think I will accept this, and reapply with deferred entry this September, it will give me time to save money for accommodation so I will hopefully leave with no loans at all.

with places being so in demand, i doubt you would be able to defer. they would also wonder if your heart was really in radiography, if you went off and studied pharmacy for a few years, as the two are fields are so different

people seem to be under the misconception that knowing the ins and outs of the NHS, gives them a foot in the door for working in any department within the care sector. its not viewed like that, its the transferable skills you acquire that allow you to chance direction

pharmacy technician roles tend to be BTEC or NVQ Level 3 qualifications which pay around £15k. even once qualified you are only looking at early £20k, with little room for career progression after that. i also think you would have a tied in contract, so that you couldnt leave within a certain period of qualifying

also realistically how much do you think you could save over the 2yrs?

i get the impression that you arent really sure what you want to do careerwise and at the back of your mind think 3yrs of uni is just too much of a commitment at the moment?

B
Original post by Mel27x
which unis had u got into? xx

Cumbria and Liverpool x
Anybody else leaving secure employment which isn't badly paid to take up their degree?
Reply 1985
Original post by zoe1992
Yeah I think so, plus I think some lectures are shared with radiotherapy students too.

I didn't see the lecture theatre on my interview day did you? they must be huge.
Reply 1986
Original post by Mr Student
Anybody else leaving secure employment which isn't badly paid to take up their degree?

I did. I had a half decent job before but I was unhappy. Money isn't everything is it.
Original post by J3551CA
I did. I had a half decent job before but I was unhappy. Money isn't everything is it.

Nope it isn't. It makes life easier when you have enough of it to get by though. Are you also a mature student? Are you finding it possible to cope on a bursary?
Reply 1988
im quitting my low paid, but secure job to go to Uni. ive been with this company for over 12yrs, so tbh im bricking it at the changes ahead

i will actually receive more money as a student than i currently earn, so im not too worried moneywise.

hubby got the brawn and i got the brains, so we decided once the kids were all at school i would finally get myself a career, with earning potential. once i qualify though, hubby will become the SAHD, so complete role reversal ahead for him too.

B
Reply 1989
does anyone know what unis were in clearing last year? x
Original post by berlingo
im quitting my low paid, but secure job to go to Uni. ive been with this company for over 12yrs, so tbh im bricking it at the changes ahead

i will actually receive more money as a student than i currently earn, so im not too worried moneywise.

hubby got the brawn and i got the brains, so we decided once the kids were all at school i would finally get myself a career, with earning potential. once i qualify though, hubby will become the SAHD, so complete role reversal ahead for him too.

B

Also bricking it. I've enjoyed not studying for a few years.
Reply 1991
Is anybody doing Radiography at Derby uni this year from 2012?! X

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1992
Original post by Becki.ox
Is anybody doing Radiography at Derby uni this year from 2012?! X

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Me! I've got a conditional offer, I recently had my healthcare questionnaire to complete from them and I'm waiting for the dates of attendance for the first year so I can complete the childcare form for the bursary.
Original post by Mel27x
does anyone know what unis were in clearing last year? x

I can't remember loads but I know Cumbria had some spaces and so did Derby.
I think BCU, UWE and City did. I know Queen Margaret Edinburgh and Portsmouth did too.
Reply 1994
Original post by razzmatazz rach
I can't remember loads but I know Cumbria had some spaces and so did Derby.
I think BCU, UWE and City did. I know Queen Margaret Edinburgh and Portsmouth did too.

oh brill thanks :smile: im deffo interested in derby and bcu...do they usually lower their grades needed through clearing cos derby want 18 credits in science but i cnt get that on my chuffin course xx
Original post by Mel27x
oh brill thanks :smile: im deffo interested in derby and bcu...do they usually lower their grades needed through clearing cos derby want 18 credits in science but i cnt get that on my chuffin course xx

They don't usually because there will be people with the grades out there and they would accept them first. Sometimes they will adapt their offers, if their offer is usually BCC with C in science but someone got B in science CD or A in Science and CD they will usually accept them. If someone has BCD and the D is in science some still won't accept them because they need the C in science as science is important on the course. When I first applied I tried clearing because I had only dipped on Biology but had the rest of the grades but I couldn't find anywhere in clearing because they all specifically wanted a C in a science subject.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1996
Original post by razzmatazz rach
They don't usually because there will be people with the grades out there and they would accept them first.

true haha makes sense :P i would love birmingham city tho if it was on clearing :smile: x
Original post by Mel27x

true haha makes sense :P i would love birmingham city tho if it was on clearing :smile: x

They have quite a high intake compared to other uni's from what I remember so they are usually in clearing.
Has anyone who is on a 40 week course (going to UCS) had their bursary confirmed? mines come back but without the extra weeks (says 210 days which is 42 weeks) but according to the calculator I should have the extra weeks payment? Just want to check if its a mistake or not before making a fuss!
Reply 1999
who is more lenient with grades herts or BCU ?? and is herts ever on clearing ?just wondering ? thanks xx

Latest