The Student Room Group

Imperial College Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Netferatu
For 2011 entry, a score of 4.9 in each of sections 1 and 2, coupled with a score of 2.5 and grade C in section 3, were the minimum scores required.

Nobody knows this year's cut off scores yet, so stop go going crazy people! Just take a deep breath and start the waiting game...

I read that as "For 2012 entry..." and nearly died :tongue:
Original post by NightBear
I read that as "For 2012 entry..." and nearly died :tongue:

lol
Reply 582
Original post by englishman129
good luck :smile: should have applied cambridge with those s1/s2 :P and then rejected them after getting an imperial offer cuz we're better :P

"You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!" :redface:
Reply 583
Guess it's goodbye to the Imperial dream... I got 3.8, 5.5 and 4A :-( my section one is so bad, though I partially anticipated that as in the exam I wasted too much time and had to guess about 12 questions.
(edited 12 years ago)
do you think the cutoff this year will be lower? or same? what does everyone think
Original post by PENGUINS PENGUINS
do you think the cutoff this year will be lower? or same? what does everyone think

I "hope" it is lower :P Only time can tell, I suppose.
Reply 586
When I applied to Imperial last year I missed the cut off for interview by 1 mark in S1, and when my rejection arrived I was completely devastated because I was hoping they would look at my application overall. Speaking from past experience the only advice I can offer to those who scored under last years cut off in this years BMAT, is to just accept that an Imperial rejection may be on its way. I don't want to sound harsh when I say that but I can tell you that accepting it earlier on is less painful then waiting in hope and then getting rejected. Besides I think the most important thing to realise is that nearly all of Imperials applicants will be called for interview at other medical schools, and at the end of the day med school is med school.
Reply 587
Original post by PENGUINS PENGUINS

in 2010 it was :

The BMAT scores will vary from year to year, and so it is not possible to publish a cut-off point. However, on the basis of our previous experience candidates would generally need to obtain 50% in each of the three sections of BMAT in order to be amongst those who are selected for interview.

in 2011 it rose to 4.9 4.9 2.5 B

im guessing the increase in applicants last year led to that rise....

so (correct me if im wrong) in theory it would be reasonable to expect the cutoff to be roughly the same as the 2010?
Original post by praj1
in 2010 it was :

The BMAT scores will vary from year to year, and so it is not possible to publish a cut-off point. However, on the basis of our previous experience candidates would generally need to obtain 50% in each of the three sections of BMAT in order to be amongst those who are selected for interview.

in 2011 it rose to 4.9 4.9 2.5 B

im guessing the increase in applicants last year led to that rise....

so (correct me if im wrong) in theory it would be reasonable to expect the cutoff to be roughly the same as the 2010?

So is that implying that 50% = 4.5 in each section, as opposed to 5 (which is the average)?
There are fewer applicants this year, so it could be like you said. However, the quality of applicants could be higher, which would in effect increase the cut off scores. I hope that the former is the case :redface:
Reply 589
Have a question regarding the cut-off and would be very grateful if anybody could offer to help.

Last year the cut-off was something like 4.9, 4.9, 2.5C

My question is if the C is by itself or belonging to the 2.5?

The reason I'm asking is because I received 5.7, 6.4, 3.5 D and am wondering if the D has completely ruined my chances?

Am getting it remarked as well, because I received an A last year and English is my mother tongue, refuse to believe that an examiner would give me an E (C+E=D)

Reply 590
Original post by NightBear
So is that implying that 50% = 4.5 in each section, as opposed to 5 (which is the average)?
There are fewer applicants this year, so it could be like you said. However, the quality of applicants could be higher, which would in effect increase the cut off scores. I hope that the former is the case :redface:

yeh the cutoff was 4.5 4.5 .....so i just seriously hope thats the case this year......if you look at last years madicine stalking page.....people who got less than 4.9 in S1 or S2 got interviews !? :eek:????????
Original post by praj1
yeh the cutoff was 4.5 4.5 .....so i just seriously hope thats the case this year......if you look at last years madicine stalking page.....people who got less than 4.9 in S1 or S2 got interviews !? :eek:????????

Yeah, but it was quite rare, I believe. I do hope the cut off is a bit lower than last year's :frown:
Reply 592
woah are you sure the cut off was 4.5? From what I know the BMAT cut off stays relatively constant throughout.
Reply 593
Cut off for 2010 entry was 4.7, 4.7, 7.5
Cut off for 2011 entry was 4.9, 4.9, 2.5C

Judging from previous graphs and this year's graph I have a feeling it may be 4.8, 4.8, 2.5C (possibly)? I'm assuming from past cut-offs that S1=S2 cutoff? O=)
Although we won't really know because the graph shows a distribution of the whole of the BMAT average, we need one just for imperial :tongue:
Reply 594
my dream is over section two was rubbish!
Reply 595
What do people think about the chances of the section 3 cutoff going up to 3.0??? (i got 2.5A so i'm a bit worried lol)
Original post by 04biswass
When I applied to Imperial last year I missed the cut off for interview by 1 mark in S1, and when my rejection arrived I was completely devastated because I was hoping they would look at my application overall. Speaking from past experience the only advice I can offer to those who scored under last years cut off in this years BMAT, is to just accept that an Imperial rejection may be on its way. I don't want to sound harsh when I say that but I can tell you that accepting it earlier on is less painful then waiting in hope and then getting rejected. Besides I think the most important thing to realise is that nearly all of Imperials applicants will be called for interview at other medical schools, and at the end of the day med school is med school.

Being above the cut off doesn't actually guarantee you an interview, does it? (I got 4.9 in S1+2 so it's pretty borderline :/)
Original post by <XOXO>
Does anyone know when Imperial release their BMAT cut off scores?

Thank you

Original post by TheDannyManCan
I think they model them off of what everyone got...not sure. I think either way we can expect to hear soon.

I called them today, they said they don't release them and look through in BMAT rank order and then come up with a cut off depending on the lowest people they interviewed.
Reply 598
Original post by joker12345
Being above the cut off doesn't actually guarantee you an interview, does it? (I got 4.9 in S1+2 so it's pretty borderline :/)

If you meet the cut off, they look at the other aspects of your application. You have to have ridiculously bad AS's like B's and C's, horrendous GCSE, or a really bad personal statement I suppose they may reject you prior to interview. But it really does guarantee you an interview from what I gathered last year
Reply 599
Original post by 04biswass
If you meet the cut off, they look at the other aspects of your application. You have to have ridiculously bad AS's like B's and C's, horrendous GCSE, or a really bad personal statement I suppose they may reject you prior to interview. But it really does guarantee you an interview from what I gathered last year

I would think about it like this.

In each section, approximately 50% will meet the cut-off, and 50% will not.
So for each section, 1 in 2 will have a good enough score.

so by probability, only 1 in 8 will meet the cut-off in ALL 3 sections.

This is because 1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/8

So i would guess that the majority of people who meet the cut-off would be called for interview, as many most likely will not meet the cut-off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending