The Student Room Group

King's College London Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StudentAT
I was pretty upset with my results, was hoping for a little better and was only a few UMS off A*s in most of the subjects that I got As in, oh well, i'm just going to give it my best these next two years. What sort of score do you think i'd need to be in for a decent chance? And thanks for your help :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

I'd say if you got a UKCAT score in the very high 600's - early 700's you might stand a good chance. But this also depends on the standard of Applicants for your year of application. :smile:

Original post by lossy1234
How does everyone know that a high number of A*'s are needed for Kings because the admissions department don't mention it? And does this count for graduates who apply?

You don't always need a high number of A*s but it helps. It works on a sliding scale. The higher the number of A*s the lower the UKCAT can be and vice versa. But if you're grad this isn't important. For grads GKT give interviews for those with the top 25% UKCAT scores. Generally speaking and from what I've seen, it's always those that get 720 and above that get interviews. :smile: I could be wrong, so you might want to go through this thread and previous ones to check.
Hi everyone,

Yes - I'm sure you can guess what my question will be :smile:

To cut it short, I didn't do so well in the UKCAT (637), but I do have 9A*s at GCSE to my name! If it's at all relevant, I'll be predicted at least A*AAA for A-levels (5 A's at AS).

Do I have a reasonable chance of being considered? I'm assuming the sliding-scale between GCSEs and UKCAT score is still in place. . .

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth putting King's down (with my UKCAT score in mind), or if I should be placing my bets on more lenient/less pretigious universities?

I'd be grateful for any help.
Original post by dunnicare
I'd say if you got a UKCAT score in the very high 600's - early 700's you might stand a good chance. But this also depends on the standard of Applicants for your year of application. :smile:

You don't always need a high number of A*s but it helps. It works on a sliding scale. The higher the number of A*s the lower the UKCAT can be and vice versa. But if you're grad this isn't important. For grads GKT give interviews for those with the top 25% UKCAT scores. Generally speaking and from what I've seen, it's always those that get 720 and above that get interviews. :smile: I could be wrong, so you might want to go through this thread and previous ones to check.

Ok Thank You For your help :smile:
Reply 2783
Hello, do you think I could apply to King's college with UKCAT of 700 and 6A*s and 6As? (Would i get an interview?)
Hey!

Where on the website can I find this info about the sliding scale etc? I can't find it anywhere!

Do you think I'd have a decent chance with 8A*'s and 3A's at GCSE, 707.5 UKCAT and AABC AS levels? Thanks so much!
Original post by blueeyedgirl
Hey!

Where on the website can I find this info about the sliding scale etc? I can't find it anywhere!

Do you think I'd have a decent chance with 8A*'s and 3A's at GCSE, 707.5 UKCAT and AABC AS levels? Thanks so much!

They may be abit funny about your AS grades, seeing as they want a B in the 4th AS :/
Original post by AtomicMan
They may be abit funny about your AS grades, seeing as they want a B in the 4th AS :/

Thanks for replying :smile: That's why I'm undecided about risking it, even though I'm resitting the C and I'm fairly confident I'll be able to get it up to a B. The prospectus says "For many applicants, AS-level results will be available when your application is made through UCAS. These results will supplement your referee’s A-level predictions but will not replace them for selection purposes." I wasn't really sure how to interpret this but I'd really love to go to King's!
hey guys. i am applying with exenuating circumstances(if kings will accept them. if not i won't apply)(re-sitting chemistry)

in the case they allow me to apply

what are my chances with:

697.5 UKCAT

7A*'s 2A's

AAAB at a/s

thanks.
Original post by StudentAT
I was pretty upset with my results, was hoping for a little better and was only a few UMS off A*s in most of the subjects that I got As in, oh well, i'm just going to give it my best these next two years. What sort of score do you think i'd need to be in for a decent chance? And thanks for your help :smile:

A lot of people say that GCSEs are really important, and they do matter, but many other people that I've spoken to have also told me that your A Level results are more important. You can get all A*s at GCSE but come out with Cs at A Level, or it could be the other way around. I'm an currently an AS student and I keep telling myself this when I meet people who have achieved really good grades at GCSE! Don't worry too much about it :smile:

Original post by CautiousOptimist
Hi everyone,

Yes - I'm sure you can guess what my question will be :smile:

To cut it short, I didn't do so well in the UKCAT (637), but I do have 9A*s at GCSE to my name! If it's at all relevant, I'll be predicted at least A*AAA for A-levels (5 A's at AS).

Do I have a reasonable chance of being considered? I'm assuming the sliding-scale between GCSEs and UKCAT score is still in place. . .

I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth putting King's down (with my UKCAT score in mind), or if I should be placing my bets on more lenient/less pretigious universities?

I'd be grateful for any help.

Last year, I had 640 avg UKCAT score, 9A* GCSEs and a prediction of A*AAAA and I got rejected without interview at King's. If you have your heart set on the place then you should definitely apply, but otherwise it's a bit risky. You could always do the BMAT and apply to Oxbridge/UCL/Imperial? Your academics are certainly good enough :smile:

kings did not accept my extenuating circumstances.

i had 7A* and an average of 697.5

good luck to the rest of you
Original post by medicine gapper
hey guys. i am applying with exenuating circumstances(if kings will accept them. if not i won't apply)(re-sitting chemistry)

in the case they allow me to apply

what are my chances with:

697.5 UKCAT

7A*'s 2A's

AAAB at a/s

thanks.

You had 3 A's at a2, surely King's will accept you anyway? My offer was AAAC (not specifying A in chemistry) last year ...
Original post by joker12345
You had 3 A's at a2, surely King's will accept you anyway? My offer was AAAC (not specifying A in chemistry) last year ...

they won't accept my extenuating circumstances.

i have AAB with extenuating circumstances. They said if i had a diagnosis i would be allowed to apply. the issue is, i got a diagnosis on holiday, and brought back image scans + first hand saw i have the ilness lol.

oh well=p

i'm glad to have the oppurtunity to apply to medicine

grats on your offer
Original post by medicine gapper
they won't accept my extenuating circumstances.

i have AAB with extenuating circumstances. They said if i had a diagnosis i would be allowed to apply. the issue is, i got a diagnosis on holiday, and brought back image scans + first hand saw i have the ilness lol.

oh well=p

i'm glad to have the oppurtunity to apply to medicine

grats on your offer

Oh I see, I thought you said AAAB. Good luck on your application anyway. :smile:
Thanks, but it doesn't really matter now since I missed the grades, I'm resitting and reapplying too ...
Original post by joker12345
Oh I see, I thought you said AAAB. Good luck on your application anyway. :smile:
Thanks, but it doesn't really matter now since I missed the grades, I'm resitting and reapplying too ...

good luck this time round :smile: never give up! we will get there in the end.
Reply 2795
Hey, im really unsure bout applying to kings....

Gcse 5A*, 5.5A
A-levels achieved 4A
Ukcat 707.5

Do you guys think i have a good chance of an interview? If its gonna be risky, i might just apply somewhere else :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh

Original post by kizuna123

Original post by oHellno

Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh

Sorry guys for quoting you from a long time ago, but i was wondering how your interview was and what sort of questions they asked? THANKS
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey I wanted to knwo what kind of extra curricular King's like

I have 9A*s 2As GCSE
CURRENTLY doing as levels in chem, bio, double maths and french
3 years St john's Ambulance Cadets
1 week old people home, 2 weeks care home, 1 week with disabled children
School netball team 5 years
D of E bronze
Grade 5 Theory, Grade 2 Piano

What other extra curricular do I need or could better my application?
Reply 2798
Original post by carbonita
Hey I wanted to knwo what kind of extra curricular King's like

I have 9A*s 2As GCSE
CURRENTLY doing as levels in chem, bio, double maths and french
3 years St john's Ambulance Cadets
1 week old people home, 2 weeks care home, 1 week with disabled children
School netball team 5 years
D of E bronze
Grade 5 Theory, Grade 2 Piano

What other extra curricular do I need or could better my application?

This is more than enough but you could gain some kind of shadowing experience in a hospital! But if you can't this is fine too :smile: (i've applied to KCL for 2013 entry)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone international who's gotten an invitation for interview yet? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending