The Student Room Group

King's College London Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by kingcoltzan
Think you are :biggrin: You will meet my friend there :smile: You can tell us all about it

mine is at 12, when is your friends?
it's horrific timing, the day after the BMAT
Reply 581
Original post by kingcoltzan
Solid I would say anything above 650 is solid. Anything above 700 is very good. Anything above 750 is :eek:

Yeah I guess that's the general formula, you never can tell though, when I went to Sheffield open day I was told anything below about 720 is not worth applying with for them! Seems stupid to me but meh. Yeah haha anyone who got above 750 must be some sort of wizard.
Reply 582
Original post by LiveOne
Yeah haha anyone who got above 750 must be some sort of wizard.

Fanks! I got 767.5 :tongue:

Not a wizard, unfortunately. Just plenty of practice and luck with questions asked.
Reply 583
Original post by adsyrah
Fanks! I got 767.5 :tongue:

Not a wizard, unfortunately. Just plenty of practice and luck with questions asked.

Hmmm yeah! I guess so, I would have got above 700 if it wasn't for my horrible score in the stupid shapes section. Instead I got 655 :frown: which I guess is enough but still.
Reply 584
Original post by LiveOne
Yeah I guess that's the general formula, you never can tell though, when I went to Sheffield open day I was told anything below about 720 is not worth applying with for them! Seems stupid to me but meh. Yeah haha anyone who got above 750 must be some sort of wizard.

Mmm thats because last year they had an INSANE UKCAT cutoff which IIRC was 720!
Original post by marc_h94
Are the teaching standards as good as they make out they are? :smile:

I think they are :biggrin: the dissection sessions are really useful mainly because you get to be taught by a doctor (ours is FY2 I think) and they go over the lecture material in more detail and quiz you to make sure you understand everything. Professor Ellis still helps with the teaching in dissections too.
I suppose it depends on how you learn but I'm not keen on pbl or being taught by other students via presentations and there isn't any of that so I'm happy. Some people can't learn from lectures, so all you have to keep in mind is that lectures do make up a lot of the teaching.
Reply 586
Original post by samir29
mine is at 12, when is your friends?
it's horrific timing, the day after the BMAT

Don't know - but he's got a football match as well before it :biggrin:
Original post by Holliberri

Original post by Holliberri
I think they are :biggrin: the dissection sessions are really useful mainly because you get to be taught by a doctor (ours is FY2 I think) and they go over the lecture material in more detail and quiz you to make sure you understand everything. Professor Ellis still helps with the teaching in dissections too.
I suppose it depends on how you learn but I'm not keen on pbl or being taught by other students via presentations and there isn't any of that so I'm happy. Some people can't learn from lectures, so all you have to keep in mind is that lectures do make up a lot of the teaching.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I think it sounds like it would suit me :smile:
My 2nd-year medic brother-in-law showed me round the campus today as well as the interview area in preparation for my interview next week :afraid: also sat in on two lectures on the thyroid and adrenal glands, must say the lecturer wasn't the most thrilling person haha, but all of this just made me love King's even more :biggrin:
Just need to make sure I don't mess up the interview...
Original post by marc_h94
Are the teaching standards as good as they make out they are? :smile:

You'll get great, average and not so great lecturers wherever you go :smile:
Original post by instrumentalist
My 2nd-year medic brother-in-law showed me round the campus today as well as the interview area in preparation for my interview next week :afraid: also sat in on two lectures on the thyroid and adrenal glands, must say the lecturer wasn't the most thrilling person haha, but all of this just made me love King's even more :biggrin:
Just need to make sure I don't mess up the interview...

Ah! They were pretty hard :frown: he gave us 4 lectures today! Glad you liked kings though :smile:
Reply 591
Got given my Kings interview the day after I sent my UCAS (14th oct). Had pretty abysmal ukcat (<650) but they didn't seem to care! Guess I was lucky.
Original post by Micket

The reason is that you got >10A*s at GCSE
Reply 593
Original post by Micket
Got given my Kings interview the day after I sent my UCAS (14th oct). Had pretty abysmal ukcat (<650) but they didn't seem to care! Guess I was lucky.

They don't even have our UKcat scores yet...those invited to.interview atm are people who's gcses are so good that their score won't matter.
Reply 594
today i heard that kings do multiple mini interviews, so short interviews/ exercises at different stations. is this correct?! please tell me its not, as i have my interview next week.
is it just normal, with 2 medical related people and a lay by?
Reply 595
Original post by samir29
today i heard that kings do multiple mini interviews, so short interviews/ exercises at different stations. is this correct?! please tell me its not, as i have my interview next week.
is it just normal, with 2 medical related people and a lay by?

Where did you hear this??? I thought it was a traditional interview?
Reply 596
someone told me they did this a few years ago, hopefully its changed
...last year the interviews for A100 (the standard, 5 year undergrad course) were normal (non-mmi)...this is what i had...

so unless they've specified in the prospectus that the format has changed, assume that this is the case
Original post by LiveOne
They don't even have our UKcat scores yet...those invited to.interview atm are people who's gcses are so good that their score won't matter.

Does that mean that the people who have already been invited for interview won't have their UKCAT scores taken into consideration at all? Or that they might still use them to decide between applicants after interview?? :confused:
Reply 599
Original post by WoefullyUninspired
Does that mean that the people who have already been invited for interview won't have their UKCAT scores taken into consideration at all? Or that they might still use them to decide between applicants after interview?? :confused:

From what I have heard most places once you have an interview disregard all your academics as they believe you to be academically sound and then base whether you get an offer on your interview performance alone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending