The Student Room Group

King's College London Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1820
I was on the 2nd, and yet to hear!
Original post by DarkSunshine
Has anybody who's had an interview on the 7th got a reply yet?

I heard 9 days after my interview, so maybe you'll hear tomorrow! Be patient though, I imagine they have loads of paperwork to sort before christmas...
Reply 1822

nope. I too was interviewed on 7th.
Original post by Karalily
I was on the 2nd, and yet to hear!

Ahh, that sounds painful!
Reply 1824

Original post by eliteDNA
nope. I too was interviewed on 7th.

I haven't either. Waaaa I want an offer now!
Reply 1825
Original post by momories
It's been proven by research that UKCAT has no correlation whatsoever with how you're going to perform in medical schools. I have a birmingham interview, so I'm just going to do my best to completely ace it!
Oh and my PS, I think it was good! But I'll ask for some feedback and see what they say.

Sorry for that one.
Do you mind sharing your feedback?
It's just that your profile reminds me of mine, I scored exactly the same on the ukcat but the rest of my academics are good...
And yeah, standardized test are such a nonsense.

And good luck at your interview!
Just had my interview today... All I can say is "DAT ORANGE ROOM!":coma:

I'm worried when I'll hear back from them seeing as the two week period goes over Christmas and edges close to new year... :s-smilie:
Original post by Joseppea
I heard 9 days after my interview, so maybe you'll hear tomorrow! Be patient though, I imagine they have loads of paperwork to sort before christmas...

nine days after today is christmas eve :afraid:

Original post by SirMuffin
Just had my interview today... All I can say is "DAT ORANGE ROOM!":coma:

I'm worried when I'll hear back from them seeing as the two week period goes over Christmas and edges close to new year... :s-smilie:

what time were you?

am i the only one who thought the waiting room was as hot as a desert??? :tongue:
Reply 1828
Original post by Flcheese
I also just got rejected before interview :frown:

Just in case anyone's interested:
9A*s, 1 A GCSE,
4As at AS
1A* 3As predicted
639 ukcat

I was also rejected before interview :frown:

7A*s, 6A's GCSE
AABC at AS
3A*s predicted
620 UKCAT

I assume it was my UKCAT score, as I was one of the first to be offered an interview at Bristol, and the only difference in their admissions statement to King's is the UKCAT. I HATE UKCAT!!!!
Original post by laurie:)
nine days after today is christmas eve :afraid:

what time were you?

am i the only one who thought the waiting room was as hot as a desert??? :tongue:

2.40. How about yourself? And yeah! You're right it was boiling! I sat on the seat closest to the door and that god damn heater fan was blowing in my face. Luckily the receptionist turned it off after a while...
Reply 1830
Anyone here is an international applicant that HAS NOT sat UKCAT?? If so, any news?? I still haven't heard from King's and have been rejected by Edinburgh and Leicester within the past two days... sigh I think being exempt from UKCAT has disadvantaged me...I mean wnt they rather choose applicants with UKCAT scores to assess them over those that have none?? SIGHH I dnt really care bout the other unis, only king's really...the wait is killing me :frown: anyone in the same boat...or raft...as me?
Reply 1831
Hey guys,

So I applied to Kings' 5-year program and just wanted to see if anyone could offer me any feedback. I'm a non-traditional student in that I already have a bachelor's degree from a US university in a non-science field, and I'm also 26. For the past couple years, I've been taking science classes at Harvard to help with my medical school applications. I received As in two semesters of general chemistry and a B in physics. I'm currently taking Molecular & Cellular Biology and Organic Chemistry. I attained a 3.8 GPA at my four-year university and currently have a 3.67 science GPA. I took the UKCAT this summer and scored a 662.5 (not great but not terrible). I also have extensive volunteer and laboratory experience and feel confident about the personal statement I submitted.

I've already been rejected by Leicester and Dundee without interview. I'm still waiting to hear from Kings and Southampton, but I'm feeling discouraged. I was told earlier this year by a representative at Dundee that as long as I maintained a 3.5 GPA in my science classes and scored at least a 625 on the UKCAT, I would be considered a highly suitable applicant.

I guess I'm just trying to make some sense out of this discouraging news. Does anyone think I have a shot at Kings or Southampton? I'd really appreciate any advice you could offer.

Good luck to all of you with your applications.
Reply 1832
Original post by momories
do you mind sharing your stats?
I'm still waiting... sensing a rejection anytime soon...
is there anybody else who still hasn't heard from king's at all apart from an acknowledgement?
feeling quite alone! :frown:

yeah sure
7A*s, 3As 3Bs C

UKCAT = 652.5
predicted grades - aaa
Original post by emmy1313
Anyone here is an international applicant that HAS NOT sat UKCAT?? If so, any news?? I still haven't heard from King's and have been rejected by Edinburgh and Leicester within the past two days... sigh I think being exempt from UKCAT has disadvantaged me...I mean wnt they rather choose applicants with UKCAT scores to assess them over those that have none?? SIGHH I dnt really care bout the other unis, only king's really...the wait is killing me :frown: anyone in the same boat...or raft...as me?

Please excuse me for asking, but isn't the UKCAT compulsory for all applicants? How on earth did you get an exemption? :confused:

I'm an international applicant, and I haven't seen anyone who has been exempted from sitting the UKCAT, and hence my confusion.

EDIT:nvm. LJY0560 kindly answered. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1834
Original post by hslakaal
Please excuse me for asking, but isn't the UKCAT compulsory for all applicants? How on earth did you get an exemption? :confused:

I'm an international applicant, and I haven't seen anyone who has been exempted from sitting the UKCAT, and hence my confusion.

UKCAT exemption is specifically for applicants whose country they live in doesn't have Pearson VUE centre. I also got an exemption because I'm living in Vietnam and apparently it doesn't have the centre. I just couldn't be bothered to travel to other countries and take the exam, so yeah.
Original post by LJY0560
UKCAT exemption is specifically for applicants whose country they live in doesn't have Pearson VUE centre. I also got an exemption because I'm living in Vietnam and apparently it doesn't have the centre. I just couldn't be bothered to travel to other countries and take the exam, so yeah.

Ah, right. Forgot about such cases, my bad.
Reply 1836
Original post by emmy1313

Nice to meet you, fellow exempted applicant lol
Well, I applied to Edinburgh and King's like yourself and I haven't heard anything from both of them. I've contacted Edinburgh admissions team previously and they said they give average UKCAT score of edinburgh applicants to exempted ones, but really UKCAT plays a very tiny part in selection procedure in Edinburgh.

And about King's, as I've talked to them before, they said they will put more emphasis on other parts such as grades and PS, and my application won't be disadvantaged in any way. But it turns out that they give interviews to applicants whose UKCAT score is really high, or academic record in general is the best. As you know, there are only about 20-ish spots for international students at King's and it's possible that having an interview too late (after these spots have been pretty much filled out) might be disadvantageous :frown:

I've got an offer from Birmingham recently so other unis don't really mean much to me anymore, but if I can go back, I would have travelled to another country and taken the UKCAT :mad:

Let's try to be patient.. that's perhaps the only way :confused:
Reply 1837
I got rejected without an interview on Tuesday :frown:

GCSE: 6A* 4A
Predicted grades: AAAA
UKCAT: 635

I think it was probably my UKCAT that let me down. I know they use a sliding scale with GCSE's/UKCAT - I'd hoped that my GCSE's would be enough to get me an interview, but obviously when you're competing against applicants with 10+ A*s, 6 A*s isn't good enough.

Good luck to everyone else :smile:
Hearing all of these rejections without interview is making me really rather nervous! I had an interview at St. Andrews yesterday which didn't go as well as it could have done, so if I get a rejection from one of my others I think I may have a break down :lol:

Every time my phone notifies me of an email, it almost gives me a coronary.
Reply 1839
I think were now starting to get an idea of the GCSE/UKCAT combo this year now, worryingly high...do we know if they've looked at everyone's applications and are rejecting, or are they rejecting as they look at each application? Just trying to assess whether if you haven't been rejected yet is it because they havent looked at your application, or is it because you are a possible for interview later on but not definitely if everyone interviewed first gets a place?
Hope this makes some sense :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending