The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Hi Everyone

Thank you to those who have provided such useful information.

I had no idea how competitive the GFS is until I looked at the Recruitment Report for 2010 this afternoon.

To reassure people, on the self assessment tests I got the 'you will have to do significantly better to pass' message. I almost didn't bother taking the online tests because I thought that based on that I wouldn't pass. But then I thought there's no harm in trying. I can't remember what I got on the practice tests but I passed the online tests. It seems to be just a matter of remembering your GCSE Maths. I found differentiating between cannot say and false quite difficult at times on the verbal reasoning section.

Having looked at the numbers for 2010 I am now feeling quite proud for getting through the online tests and invited to e-Tray! I thought pretty much everybody got through to that stage. To be honest, that probably really helped as I wasn't feeling quite so stressed out about the process as I am after reading through this thread!

From what I've read here so far is it true to say that those already invited to e-Tray stage scored higher than the people still waiting to hear whether they will be invited to e-tray? Or is it based on when you applied to the scheme?

In terms of the competency questionnaire, I just answered honestly as I think if you try to second guess what they're looking for you will misrepresent yourself. And also, I trust that if I have the right characteristics I'll get through and if I don't then this probably isn't the right path.

Also, I got emails alerting me to the fact I had a message in the system at every stage and they even called me to confirm my attendance at the e-tray event as I hadn't realised I had to accept it inside the system. Hopeless!

Good luck to everyone else anyway. Look forward to hearing how everyone else gets on.

:smile:
Reply 441
Does anybody have any idea of a typically successful score on the verbal reasoning test? I scored 27/32 on the practice but have no idea how this compares to most people!
Oh dear, did shockingly bad in the practice tests: only got 21/32 on verbal, then fell apart on what I thought was a very difficult numerical test only getting 5/15. Hope it doesn't forebode anything for the real test because I did reasonable on the self assessments. In my defence I'm feeling in a terrible frame of mind right now because I had a terrible night of sleep, but really not happy with the way the practice went considering I've been revising for pretty much a month.
Reply 443
Original post by Sirocco11
Oh dear, did shockingly bad in the practice tests: only got 21/32 on verbal, then fell apart on what I thought was a very difficult numerical test only getting 5/15. Hope it doesn't forebode anything for the real test because I did reasonable on the self assessments. In my defence I'm feeling in a terrible frame of mind right now because I had a terrible night of sleep, but really not happy with the way the practice went considering I've been revising for pretty much a month.

I thought the practice test was horrible (and I think I got about 2), but I thought the actual test was a lot easier! That said I havn't heard back yet, and its been nearly a month, so maybe I am not the best person to go off.
Original post by Willowi
I thought the practice test was horrible (and I think I got about 2), but I thought the actual test was a lot easier! That said I havn't heard back yet, and its been nearly a month, so maybe I am not the best person to go off.

Maybe give them a call? I called about something and they were really nice :smile:
Reply 445
Original post by Tensa_Zangetsu
Maybe give them a call? I called about something and they were really nice :smile:

well it says they will let people know anytime up until mid-december, so I guess I have to wait until then. If I do get through I am probably going to have about a day before the E-Tray at this rate! Though getting through is looking increasingly slim.
Original post by Willowi
well it says they will let people know anytime up until mid-december, so I guess I have to wait until then. If I do get through I am probably going to have about a day before the E-Tray at this rate! Though getting through is looking increasingly slim.

To be fair It's impossible to say as I started my app in Sep and I was only told last week that I got through, the lady said they are still going through the applications.

Hope you hear the good news soon! :biggrin:
Original post by Willowi

I've actually heard a lot of people say that (and I really hope that is the case) so good to know I wasn't the only one who found the practice fiendish! I mean some of the calculations required were crazy in terms of what you had to extrapolate from the data; not saying the calculations are advanced mathematics, but it was so much harder than any of the other practice tests that I've done on the internet.

Staying positive because I know I can do better, and try not to panic too much next time :P
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, if anyone has already sat their e-tray, if you could tell me a bit about the written part? What were you asked to do?

Good luck to everyone about to take theirs, mine is tomorrow!

xx
Original post by CathyLou_xx
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, if anyone has already sat their e-tray, if you could tell me a bit about the written part? What were you asked to do?

Good luck to everyone about to take theirs, mine is tomorrow!

xx

As much as I would like them to say, it seems a little unfair on them, like telling someone the exam questions after you've taken the exam!
There's different questions so it's not like we'll be getting the question before we go. I just want to know what kind of thing to expect. I'll post what mine was tomorrow after I do mine
x
Reply 451
Does anyone know if we're tested again on our numerical and reasoning skills at the e-tray event? Or is it purely the e-mail and written excercises? Thanks.
Reply 452
hi mate, good luck 2moro. mine is comn up too. made it all the way to the AC last year but was unsuccessful there. make sure u read fast for the e-mail responses and the written part ensure your answer cut across all the major governement department. for example if you are are asked to write a briefing for a minister regardin the best ways of addressing youth unrest in the uk, your response you include department of education, defence, health, etc... All the best and keep me posted.
Reply 453
Hey guys :smile: Exciting that so many people are doing this. I've only just started the application process and have some issues already!

My problem is - UCAS tariffs.

I'm a postgrad currently and did my A Levels before there was an A* grade, yet if I had done them after the intorcuction of the A*, I definitely would have got an A* in at least one of my subjects (I got full marks)... So do I say I got A*AA on the tariffs? Or do I use the grades I was awarded (As) and get a lower UCAS tariff on the application?

I don't want to sell myself short just because I was born too early!
Reply 454
Original post by Bramble88
Hey guys :smile: Exciting that so many people are doing this. I've only just started the application process and have some issues already!

I'm a postgrad currently and did my A Levels before there was an A* grade, yet if I had done them after the intorcuction of the A*, I definitely would have got an A* in at least one of my subjects (I got full marks)... So do I say I got A*AA on the tariffs? Or do I use the grades I was awarded (As) and get a lower UCAS tariff on the application?

I would imagine that the recruitment people are aware of when the A* grade came in and so wouldn't expect anyone who took their A Levels before it was introduced to have achieved one (and would view the marks with regards to that). To be honest I am not sure if the A* was introduced in 2006 or 2007. If it wasn't until 2006 then no one who has graduated yet/is graduating this year would have been able to get an A*, and so no one applying would have one.
Original post by Bramble88

All you have to do for the tariff is be 'good enough' (i.e. meet the minimum criteria) and you certainly do that. AAA is absolutely fine, whereas lying about your grade (no matter how well-intentioned) can only cause you problems in the future; after all, your certificates do not say 'A*'.

Why not put it in the extenuating circumstances box if you feel strongly?
Reply 456
Thanks guys :smile:
Reply 457
Original post by RudeBoy
Does anyone know if we're tested again on our numerical and reasoning skills at the e-tray event? Or is it purely the e-mail and written excercises? Thanks.

Yes. I did last year.

No.
Reply 458
Is there anyone else here who has applied to the ESF (European Faststream) and received their online test results? I still haven't had mine.
Reply 459
Original post by Willowi
I would imagine that the recruitment people are aware of when the A* grade came in and so wouldn't expect anyone who took their A Levels before it was introduced to have achieved one (and would view the marks with regards to that). To be honest I am not sure if the A* was introduced in 2006 or 2007. If it wasn't until 2006 then no one who has graduated yet/is graduating this year would have been able to get an A*, and so no one applying would have one.

Do the fast stream have UCAS point requirements??? If so what are they because i havnt seen anything stated on the website?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending