The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by legalcheerleader
I did the real tests today and the numerical reasoning was a lot easier than I thought it would be :s

Yeah, I thought that too. I actually had time to go back and recheck my answers!

Original post by legalcheerleader
anybody know how long they take to get back to us?

I had a quick look through last year's faststream thread and the first results appeared in mid-to-late October. I'd assume a similar time frame for us. It'll be a long four or so weeks!
Original post by jakemittle
When I do the practice tests I dont get any scores back?

Really? I don't think you get a percentile, as in the regular fast stream practice tests, but I was told I got around 85% on each. Maybe send them an email since it's good to know. How did you find them anyway?
Reply 102
Is anyone else here applying for the GSR scheme?
Reply 103
Just completed the online tests. Not convinced with my performance. I seemed to put 'cannot say' for a lot of the verbal questions and only managed to answer 15/20 of the numerical ones. Going to do the questionaire in the next few days.

Pretty annoyed with myself to be honest, could have done much better! Gd luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 104
Found a good site for preparing for the competency questionnaire:

http://www.personal.psu.edu/faculty/j/5/j5j/IPIP/ipipneo300.htm

The feedback from this is really indepth, well indepth enough for me anyway. There's also a shorter versions which is available on the site too.

Link below has some numerical and verbal reasoning practice stuff.

http://www.wikijob.co.uk/

Also Imperial uni has a good list of sites to visit for practice and advice:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/careers/resources/weblinks/app/psychometrictesting

Hope this helps everyone.
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/careers/resources/weblinks/app/psychometrictesting
Reply 105
I don't think there is any negative marking however from reading about these tests accuracy seems to be pretty important.
Reply 106
I'm applying for the GES part, did the tests a couple of days ago. Thought the numerical bit went okay, but had no idea for a lot of the verbal questions, loads of 'cannot say' answers. Now onto the questionnaire, I hate all these questions about extra-curriculars and competencies and so on. Has anyone on the economist scheme decided which departments to put as their preferences? I'm finding it hard to just pick three out from the long list, but OFT sounds kind of interesting so far.
Hey, I am slightly confused as to which combinations of the Faststream I can apply for. I want to keep my options as open as possible. I plan on applying for the general streams (Houses of Parliament and the Diplomatic Service). However, I assume I also can't apply for the analytical fast stream too? Can you apply for any other combinations?

Thanks
Reply 108
Original post by fivebyfive
Hey, I am slightly confused as to which combinations of the Faststream I can apply for. I want to keep my options as open as possible. I plan on applying for the general streams (Houses of Parliament and the Diplomatic Service). However, I assume I also can't apply for the analytical fast stream too? Can you apply for any other combinations?

Thanks

This page has some detail on the combinations you can apply for: http://faststream.civilservice.gov.uk/The-Fast-Streams/

In short, you can't apply for the analytical stream if you're applying for any other streams, but you can apply for anything in the general (graduate) stream, the European Fast Stream and the Technology in Business Fast Stream.
Reply 109
Just finished both tests for the GES fast stream. One word. Brutal. It was a lot harder than the practice tests and I panicked! My mind just went blank. It was as if twenty years of maths just conveniently flew out the window at a time when I needed it most!

I'm not expecting too much. In retrospect I probably should have done more practice tests. Well there's always next year...
Reply 110
I got through! Unbelievable! Its 10pm but I have so much pent up energy from the excitement that I need to go for a celebratory jog!
Reply 111
Original post by Daui
I got through! Unbelievable! Its 10pm but I have so much pent up energy from the excitement that I need to go for a celebratory jog!

you got results when!!
Reply 112
is anyone else applying for the northern ireland fast stream ?
Reply 113
Original post by jimmy1975
you got results when!!

About 5 hours after I took the test on Saturday.

Edit: When I say 'I got through' i meant I passed the verbal reasoning and numerical exams. I still have the first sifting process to go through. Sorry if I was too ambiguous.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 114
Original post by Daui
About 5 hours after I took the test on Saturday.

Edit: When I say 'I got through' i meant I passed the verbal reasoning and numerical exams. I still have the first sifting process to go through. Sorry if I was too ambiguous.

Did you get any feedback yet? What marks did you achieve in the tests?
Reply 115
I'm planning to take the tests today as today is the last day that I can do it :s I am so worried I'll mess it up as maths and numbers aren't really my strong points :frown: Does anyone know what the passing score is?

Every time I take a timed practice test, I always seem to score average or a little below average :frown: hopeless!!
Reply 116
Original post by tekno
Did you get any feedback yet? What marks did you achieve in the tests?

I didn't get any feedback or an exact score: simply told I passed.
Reply 117
Original post by jennnny
I'm planning to take the tests today as today is the last day that I can do it :s I am so worried I'll mess it up as maths and numbers aren't really my strong points :frown: Does anyone know what the passing score is?

Every time I take a timed practice test, I always seem to score average or a little below average :frown: hopeless!!

Good luck. Best tip I can offer is to make sure you don't spend too long on any individual question because some of them are much harder than others and you will end up missing out on the easier ones.
Reply 118
Thanks @Daui! You were absolutely right! I did have to skip one or two questions :l but other than that I think it went ok. Fingers crossed!

Goodluck to everyone else too! :smile:

*update: I passed the tests!!! :biggrin: I'm so pleaaased!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Daui
Just finished both tests for the GES fast stream. One word. Brutal. It was a lot harder than the practice tests and I panicked! My mind just went blank. It was as if twenty years of maths just conveniently flew out the window at a time when I needed it most!

I'm not expecting too much. In retrospect I probably should have done more practice tests. Well there's always next year...

Good luck!

Original post by jennnny

im biding my time as well :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending