The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tbtommyb
Likewise. Oh well, always a chance...

Also the same, although I'm trying to be optimistic that they may be taking fewer HoP people this year and the pass mark may be much higher as a result of this.
Did you just apply for HoP and CD too?

Also has anyone on here applied for Science and Engineering GFS? Doesn't seem to be much being said about that and it's my first choice so would be nice to know how others are getting on! (I'm awaiting results...joy...)
Original post by treachb453
Also the same, although I'm trying to be optimistic that they may be taking fewer HoP people this year and the pass mark may be much higher as a result of this.

I believe they only hire a couple of HoP people each year so I can't see them inviting *that* many to the FSB, but the record from last year's threat doesn't look good.

DS as well, though CD was probably what I wanted more. I'm still waiting on the EFS so a chance there too I suppose.
Has anyone heard back from their application to HR stream? Mine still haven't changed.
Reply 1183
Original post by treachb453

Also has anyone on here applied for Science and Engineering GFS? Doesn't seem to be much being said about that and it's my first choice so would be nice to know how others are getting on! (I'm awaiting results...joy...)

I think I've read somewhere they only took on 12ish last year

and going off last years thread the pass mark was eventually only about 0.8 higher than for CD (I think, cba checking again!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TomDixie
Results updated:

Scheme Option Preference Option Status Option currently being progressed

Graduate Fast Stream 1 Diplomatic Service Unsuccessful
2 Houses of Parliament Awaiting Results {*}
3 Central Departments Awaiting Results

I'm unsure whether to still be optimistic :frown:

Aww I'm sorry you didn't hear yet :frown: I'm sure something will come along soon.

Managed to get awaiting results for Diplomatic Service and HoP and a Pass for Central Departments so I'm pretty happy.

Guess I was one of those immediately successful after all THANK GOODNESS. Thansk for all the help and advice over the past few days
Reply 1185
Original post by ellie_flower
Aww I'm sorry you didn't hear yet :frown: I'm sure something will come along soon.

Managed to get awaiting results for Diplomatic Service and HoP and a Pass for Central Departments so I'm pretty happy.

Guess I was one of those immediately successful after all THANK GOODNESS. Thansk for all the help and advice over the past few days

Well done :biggrin:

I'm gonna have to find someone else in this thread to be neurotic with :tongue:

Happy with CD?
Original post by TomDixie
Well done :biggrin:

I'm gonna have to find someone else in this thread to be neurotic with :tongue:

Happy with CD?

Haha i'm still a tad neurotic because I want DS!! I'm not sure but the word on the grapevine around my uni friends are that if you're still awaiting results for DS now because the marks have been narrowed so much theres a very high chance you're going to be invited to the final sift.

Just really hope that I get through to the final sift for DS. Otherwise, I am OVER THE MOON to actually have a job for next year (well, abstractly, but you know what I mean!)

Still going to be watching this thread like a hawk lol
Reply 1187
Original post by ellie_flower
Haha i'm still a tad neurotic because I want DS!! I'm not sure but the word on the grapevine around my uni friends are that if you're still awaiting results for DS now because the marks have been narrowed so much theres a very high chance you're going to be invited to the final sift.

Just really hope that I get through to the final sift for DS. Otherwise, I am OVER THE MOON to actually have a job for next year (well, abstractly, but you know what I mean!)

Still going to be watching this thread like a hawk lol

Well good luck with DS, but if you don't get it there's no shame! I think they take something like the top 50 through to FSB, out of 30000+ applicants :biggrin:

You're in the top few hundred and have a job, it is your duty to get in the wine :wink:
Congratulations to ALL.
Really thought as I was still 'awaiting results' up to today that I had a good chance- but I have now been told I am unsuccessful. First time in trying so I'm happy I got to FSAC- can't wait to see what I was strong/weak on. Still I'm really gutted - you'll all have amazing experiences!.

If I was to try in the future for different schemes- I wonder what is the easiest (i.e lowest pass mark) to get into.

I think EFS has to be the hardest, whereas TiB and HR are easier with Gen somewhere in the middle - however I was wondering whether NI would be a good option to try next time? Or if I don't get into Gen, it'd be the same/similar outcome with NI. Any thoughts?

I'm really gutted, my only hope is they've done a mistake!
Original post by cha4zz
1 Houses of Parliament Unsuccessful
2 Central Departments Awaiting Results {*}

Not holding out much hope at all now, must be fairly low score in order to be unsuccessful for the HOP, as the pass mark is normally only a point or so higher than the CD. Oh well.

Edit: Having read last year's thread, not one person that posted made it through after being told they'd failed HOP. At least I can stop refreshing now though I guess.

tbtommyb
Likewise. Oh well, always a chance...

Same as you guys. Gash.
Reply 1190
Anyone else awaiting results for both HoP and CD?
Original post by UnderPost
Congratulations to ALL.
Really thought as I was still 'awaiting results' up to today that I had a good chance- but I have now been told I am unsuccessful. First time in trying so I'm happy I got to FSAC- can't wait to see what I was strong/weak on. Still I'm really gutted - you'll all have amazing experiences!.

If I was to try in the future for different schemes- I wonder what is the easiest (i.e lowest pass mark) to get into.

I think EFS has to be the hardest, whereas TiB and HR are easier with Gen somewhere in the middle - however I was wondering whether NI would be a good option to try next time? Or if I don't get into Gen, it'd be the same/similar outcome with NI. Any thoughts?

I'm really gutted, my only hope is they've done a mistake!

I'm lead to believe there were 6000 applications for the NI fast stream with only four places so not likely to be that easy an option.

Anyone else on here applied to NI FS - if so what is your progress saying? I had my FSAC last week and it changed to awaiting results on Monday. I've been a fast streamer for two years but moved home to NI - have things in my favour having passed FSAC before and done the job for two years but if those statistics are accurate thats 0.000167% chance...lol.

Granted, by my thinking 99.something% of the cutting will have already taken place by the time the NI applicants get invited to FSAC but it's still tight odds. These figures could be wrong I guess but have them from a reasonably reliable source.

Maybe you've applied to NI FS and read this but haven't posted before....if so come out of the woodwork and let me know where you are at in process (PM if more comfortable for whatever reason)...
Original post by jonbar123
I'm lead to believe there were 6000 applications for the NI fast stream with only four places so not likely to be that easy an option.

Anyone else on here applied to NI FS - if so what is your progress saying? I had my FSAC last week and....

Wow- I cannot believe that 6,000 applied for NI as according to their 2010 report 21,000 was the number of applicants to all schemes (see: http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/sites/default/files/resources/fast-stream-2010.pdf )
However if you are right then I'm sure I made the right decision.

Although I wanted to join the NI scheme (if I could have any choice- this would be it). I felt that although there may be less applicants, the number of jobs would naturally be lower - so I thought I'd have a better chance going for the main "GB" one. It'll be interesting to find out.

Good luck though- I'm sure you'd do well! However was it not possible for you to go on secondement rather than go through the FS process again!?
Reply 1193
Original post by Rice_Daddy
Has anyone heard back from their application to HR stream? Mine still haven't changed.

Hi. I am also on the HR path - if I get thru the FSAC!
crazy but no...unfortunately not
Original post by Evidza
Hi. I am also on the HR path - if I get thru the FSAC!

Hello there! When did you do the FSAC? I wonder if anyone have heard back, but not many people here seem to have applied for the HR stream, or maybe they're just not very vocal.
Original post by cherno_samba
Taking the lead isn't necessarily a bad thing. During the group discussion I made suggestions on how to structure the discussion, how long to spend on each section and kept track on time.

I was successful at the FSAC and my best competency was drive for results with most of these sort of things listed as positive behaviours.

Congrats on getting through FSAC! Mine is coming up fast and I'll be very interested to see my feedback once it's over!

As I said in my original post that was all advice given by an assessor at a Familiarization Session so it is good to head what someone who's done FSAC and passed thinks of that advice.

I think the assessor meant that you should not be controlling the group. Taking the lead, done well, is not the same as being controlling. Also, in the practice group exercise we did there were three people all trying to take the lead and therefore competing with each other to be the one in charge rather than actually moving towards the objective of the exercise. Aside from anything else it made them look a bit petty to be falling over each other to be the one to mention the time constraint again! My guess is that that is part of the reason he gave us that specific advice.

Drive for results is also only one competency so you could do fantastically in that by leading the group in the group exercise but, if you lead with being top dog as your only concern, do terribly in the maintaining relationships competency.
Reply 1197

1 EFS Diplomatic Service Pass {*}
2 European Fast Stream Pass

took it 25th jan so its been a while but im superchuffed. just a question tho - if you're efs rather than gfs, there's still no guarantee of a job right, unlike the gfs?
Original post by lm222

1 EFS Diplomatic Service Pass {*}
2 European Fast Stream Pass

took it 25th jan so its been a while but im superchuffed. just a question tho - if you're efs rather than gfs, there's still no guarantee of a job right, unlike the gfs?

As far as I know, EFS DS requires an FSB, whereas if you pass FSAC for normal EFS, you're in the same position as someone on the GFS (i.e., you have a job subject to checks).
Reply 1199
Original post by Rice_Daddy
Hello there! I don't think I did well either, by chances are you did better than you think, if you didn't read it, there is a fairly lengthy post on P.59 that put me at ease somewhat.

If you don't mind, can you elaborate on why you think you did poorly?

Hello,
Most of the exercises went sort of OK (although I generally failed to shine, and I think the group exercise was pretty bad). But the interview, oh, it was awful. I've been having little cringeworthy interview flashbacks every since! Until then I'd been feeling fairly positive (not like I'd passed positive, but at least like it hadn't been a disaster and it was an interesting day and I'd wait and see) but after that I felt pretty rubbish about the whole thing!:frown:

Who was it on here who was saying they'd had a bad interview experience too...I guess I could trawl through and try and find the post, but I can't remember when it was, so I'll take the lazy route and hope they see this and announce themselves :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending