The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by Canary Girl
Just stumbled across this whilst looking for info for FSAC on the web and I'm up to London tomorrow for FSAC.

I couldn't look through this whole thread but any essential tips for preparing for it? I'm going to write down some competency based examples but I can't think of much else after reading the guide book.

Try to think in depth about your competency examples - the interviewer can take otherwise unexpected routes to dig out some competency element or other, so have really thorough and reasoned examples.

Otherwise, I agree there's not a lot to prepare, especially for the written exercises. If you think you struggled with the written exercise at the end of the e-tray, figure out why and try to avoid the same mistakes (timing, structure, etc). W.r.t the group work, there's some very good advice somewhere on this thread (c. p45?) about how (not) to behave - sorry I cant dig up the exact place, but it basically said dont be too bossy, make sure you stay calm and relaxed (it is possible) and dont be the person who prevents consensus by obstinately sticking to your position. Someone in my group did that and this threatened the ability of the group to make a final decision - it doesn't reflect well with the assessors.

Finally, get to sleep early. It is, as everyone says, a long and tiring day. But, despite that, it is actually quite enjoyable. If you act like its your job, not a selection process for that job, then you're far more likely to relax and show off your best sides on the day.

Very best of luck to you!

EDIT: definitely not p45 for the group work discussion, sorry. p59 has some stuff on it but there's more somewhere, for sure.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by piemuncher3
see you tomorrow :smile: must be in mine!

See you there!

Thanks for the advice, I will dig out the page on the group exercise.

I felt like the task at the end of the e-tray exercise went well, but obviously I can't be sure, so will have a think about it later.

I had to do a competency based interview for the NHS graduate scheme app a few weeks ago, so have gained some experience with that.
Original post by lovers in japan
Nope just got the email, hence why I think we've got a chance...

Sorry to hear that... whoa I feel so young now, I'm only 21 :s-smilie:

Haha, I turned 21 a couple of days before the FSAC..ruined my birthday plans, but never mind...my mum came down to London so that we could do treats/tourist stuff the day after the assessment.

And being young makes it more impressive that you've done well!
Hi all

I will be attending the Fast Stream Assessment Centre soon and was wondering what the dress code is for men? Smart only?

Thanks!!!
Reply 1384
Original post by loopylooper
Hey quick query, I've my FSAC on Thursday and will be staying in London the previous night. Is it possible to bring your luggage with you to Tufton Street? Is there anywhere relatively safe to leave it? I could leave it in the hotel reception but I may be a little pushed for time to get out to the airport depending on when the FSAC finishes up. I dont want to turn up with luggage if its going to be awkward. What would people advise? Thanks

There's a cupboard bit like a wardrobe lol where you can put your luggage. There's also small lockers so leave valuables out of your case and put them in a locker. Good luck!
Original post by pingu99
Hi all

I will be attending the Fast Stream Assessment Centre soon and was wondering what the dress code is for men? Smart only?

Thanks!!!

Most men at my FSAC day wore suits shirt and tie, but there was the odd lady in jeans. I personally wore a cardigan not a suit jacket. Wear what you'd feel comfortable in, but obviously look smart, you want to give the right impression!
Most men at my FSAC day wore suits shirt and tie, but there was the odd lady in jeans. I personally wore a cardigan not a suit jacket. Wear what you'd feel comfortable in, but obviously look smart, you want to give the right impression!

Thanks!

Is anyone else moving career, as opposed to straight out of university? I'm wondering about the acceptable level of experiences I can use from my one year post university job as compared to outside 'real life' experience. I worry I may talk about X project and Y project for different competencies but that it too seem too focussed. It has been an exceptionally busy learn of personal learning + development for me though!
Original post by pingu99
Thanks!

Is anyone else moving career, as opposed to straight out of university? I'm wondering about the acceptable level of experiences I can use from my one year post university job as compared to outside 'real life' experience. I worry I may talk about X project and Y project for different competencies but that it too seem too focussed. It has been an exceptionally busy learn of personal learning + development for me though!

I'm straight out of university, but every other person I met wasn't; there was an investment banker, a commodities broker, a couple working for law firms, a couple who were just temping etc. So definitely use a lot of experiences from your year's work, but my interviewer actually told me to use different experiences, ie part-time work, full-time, voluntary work, travel...
Reply 1388
Original post by pingu99
Thanks!

I used my work experience and think this helped me in my interview but just make sure its relevant to the competancy you are being asked about and try not to use the same example more than once.
Reply 1389
Original post by pingu99
Thanks!

Please don't only look for work-related examples. You may have more appropriate examples that might better demonstrate your abilities.

A while ago I was on an interview panel where a candidate who had a law degree was asked if she had any experience presenting information to groups. She gave an example of speaking to a group at a meeting. It was not particularly strong as examples go. When I spoke with her some time later, I asked if her course had not involved seminar work, or even defending her dissertation. It had; she had not thought that was something to refer to.
I'm straight out of university, but every other person I met wasn't; there was an investment banker, a commodities broker, a couple working for law firms, a couple who were just temping etc. So definitely use a lot of experiences from your year's work, but my interviewer actually told me to use different experiences, ie part-time work, full-time, voluntary work, travel...

EVERYBODY I met at mine was straight out of university, including myself. Didnt meet anyone whohad a job, apart from one unemployed guy who was vague;y working as a pizza delivery man but off the books. Weird!
Original post by ellie_flower
EVERYBODY I met at mine was straight out of university, including myself. Didnt meet anyone whohad a job, apart from one unemployed guy who was vague;y working as a pizza delivery man but off the books. Weird!

I know the average age of people who get in is 25 so there's obv a lot of employed people just hiding from you :p:
Reply 1392
I know the average age of people who get in is 25 so there's obv a lot of employed people just hiding from you :p:

Either that or they've all done what I did and follow up undergrad with a Masters :tongue:

With regards the examples for competencies: In my interview, I tried to use 2 examples from the same job (different competencies, same example-source) and the interviewer said something like 'how about we move to some other area of your experience for this example'. So while you can use the same things if you want, have other examples up your sleeve in case the interviewer throws a curveball...
I'm working towards at least two examples for each sub-competency which is about 40 discreet snippets. Thanks for the advice, found it useful guys!

Any one in for the Technology in Business FS?
Original post by HLS
Attended FSAC today. On the whole highly enjoyable and stimulating. The one exception was the actual 'interview', which I really didn't enjoy and thought I performed terribly in.

I was there today too! I'm glad someone else genuinely enjoyed the day - some people there seemed to be finding it quite terrifying but I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun I had! I didn't have any major nightmares but I'm sure there is still a large chance I was a distinctly average candidate. Not 100% sure how my interview went, and I'm sure I could have done a better job on the second policy recommendation task...but there you are!
Reply 1395
Original post by comeluckyapril
I was there today too! I'm glad someone else genuinely enjoyed the day - some people there seemed to be finding it quite terrifying but I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun I had! I didn't have any major nightmares but I'm sure there is still a large chance I was a distinctly average candidate. Not 100% sure how my interview went, and I'm sure I could have done a better job on the second policy recommendation task...but there you are!

I ran out of time on the second Pol Rec task so by the end I was just typing as quickly as possible to make sure I had at least something resembling an answer written down.

However I enjoyed the task even if I ran out of time. The interview I just didn't enjoy.
Reply 1396
Having been told there was a pass mark adjustment in early March, that could be either this Friday (2nd) or the following Friday (9th).

However, my gut feeling is that the 9th would be too close to the end of the process. Any opinions?

This adjustment seems to be an extra one when compared to last years thread...
Reply 1397
My results status has changed to "awaiting results" - I attended FSAC on Monday. Is there anything to divine from this?
Original post by HLS
My results status has changed to "awaiting results" - I attended FSAC on Monday. Is there anything to divine from this?

Not initially. For the first week of 'awaiting results' it is purely administrative - you can claim expenses etc. Hopefully, on the Friday or Monday, you'll get an email saying you've passed. If not, you've been amberbanded and may have to wait until all the FSACs have been done.
Reply 1399
Original post by more tea vicar?
Not initially. For the first week of 'awaiting results' it is purely administrative - you can claim expenses etc. Hopefully, on the Friday or Monday, you'll get an email saying you've passed. If not, you've been amberbanded and may have to wait until all the FSACs have been done.

Many thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending