The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by nexttime
61.5% A* - average interviewee had 89%A* last year, with the average offer holder having 91%. About 73% of applicants had better GCSEs than you last year. Source

This %A* measure is very important pre-interview, forming half of the criteria along with BMAT score. Given that only about 30% of applicants are interviewed, it would take a very good BMAT (even by Oxford standards) to get an interview. I would suggest applying elsewhere.

Do bear in mind that all medical schools offer top-quality courses though, and that uni attended has no direct impact on job allocation.

This really cunfuses me... does this mean to say that my grades are actually worse than say, 8A*s and 1A? Thank you.
Original post by The Mr Z
Actually one person in each college for each subject (or less, given that several smaller courses have the same admissions tutor). To Cambridge applicants only 1 person's decision is relevant, to Oxford applicants 2. Narrows it down a lot.

Also, they may be separate individuals but their decisions are not independent of each other, they are linked through common guidelines and policy.

that's still hundreds. also what? my experience of interviewing involves a group of six of us for a given subject. we decide between us. we each have different approaches to what we think is important, we often disagree, and certainly vary in terms of how much we care about things like gcse performance. given that variation in a group of six admitting for one subject in one college, i think it's fair to say that there's wild variation. "common guidelines and policy" just means "take the best people" - what we think of as "the best people" varies by individual. sure, if i thought "the best people" meant "the people who'd been to the most expensive schools", someone would have a word. but asking for a single line on "what does oxford care about" is a fool's errand.
Reply 162
I have AABBBBBBBC at gcse and in my first AS level year i got CDE. My GP has put this bad peformance down to mental health issues/stress. I retook my AS levels and got AAAA in biology, chemistry, psychology, and english Lit (with an A in an extended project too) I am hoping to be expected A*A*A at least.

I want to study Biomedical Sciences.

Would i have a chance?
Original post by IWMI
I have AABBBBBBBC at gcse and in my first AS level year i got CDE. My GP has put this bad peformance down to mental health issues/stress. I retook my AS levels and got AAAA in biology, chemistry, psychology, and english Lit (with an A in an extended project too) I am hoping to be expected A*A*A at least.

I want to study Biomedical Sciences.

Would i have a chance?

apply for nat sciences at Cambridge..they won't care as much about your GCSE's
Reply 164
Original post by hockeyjoe

I can't admissions said i don't stand much chance without physics A-LEVEL :frown:

lol?! :s-smilie:

It's not the sole-factor in deciding their places, but they do care about them...

Even if there is lack of emphasis, the OP's lack A*s and As would be severely detrimental. He should still have a chance of other Russell Groups.
HELL NO.
Reply 168
Original post by Reminisce
Even if there is lack of emphasis, the OP's lack A*s and As would be severely detrimental. He should still have a chance of other Russell Groups.

kings college London?
Original post by IWMI
kings college London?

I think you would have a fair chance there.
Reply 170
Original post by Reminisce
I think you would have a fair chance there.

Really? For biomedical science? I was told by my college not to apply becuase i wont get in, :confused:
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, does Oxford only use % of A*s at GCSE to shortlist for Medicine, or does it apply to any other course?

Thanks for the help guys!
Original post by InspirationA
Hey guys,

I was just wondering, does Oxford only use % of A*s at GCSE to shortlist for Medicine, or does it apply to any other course?

Thanks for the help guys!

%A*s is taken into account for every course, along with aptitude tests, when deciding who to interview.
Original post by Jordan B
This really cunfuses me... does this mean to say that my grades are actually worse than say, 8A*s and 1A? Thank you.

Original post by Jordan B
That really makes no sense at all? Surely one of the best unis in thw world can tell that 8A*s 5As is much better than just 8A*s?

That's correct.

A bit unfair i know, but Oxford seems to view anything lower than an A* as below the standard they want, so as a sort of 'fail'. More As = more fails! Its also because a lot of state-schooled kids don't get the opportunity to do more than 10 (or even 8) GCSEs, so disadvantaging them would be unfair.

%A*s is taken into account for every course, along with aptitude tests, when deciding who to interview.

Is that certain? Source?
(edited 12 years ago)

Does anyone know the average % A* for a successful law applicant?
Hi

I was just wondering, for Oxford (medicine) the bmat is taken after applying so you can't change your university choices after getting a bad bmat let's say.
I just wanted to know how confident Oxford applicants were about achieving high marks (according to Oxford standard) in their bmat in the September before they applied.

What I mean to say is did you feel really confident that you would do very well in the bmat before applying to oxford? and did you do past papers before applying to Oxford just to see if you could potentially get high marks with enough practice?

Original post by Insanity514
Hi

I was just wondering, for Oxford (medicine) the bmat is taken after applying so you can't change your university choices after getting a bad bmat let's say.
I just wanted to know how confident Oxford applicants were about achieving high marks (according to Oxford standard) in their bmat in the September before they applied.

What I mean to say is did you feel really confident that you would do very well in the bmat before applying to oxford? and did you do past papers before applying to Oxford just to see if you could potentially get high marks with enough practice?

Personally, i had not paid much attention to the level of competition before i applied! I had not found the stats about how high average %A* was, etc. I just thought i liked the place and course, and thought that i could make a competitive application whatever they threw at me (including this mysterious BMAT thing, which i had not even looked at).

In hindsight, i was very immature about how i approached it. A much better plan would be to, like you say, do some practice papers before even applying to see how competitive you might be. Have you done the UKCAT? A good performance in that probably correlates with BMAT success, especially section 1.
A heads up for everybody discussing the validity and direction of this thread. I'm going to try out a system where we have two separate grades threads - one for Oxford and one for Cambridge. I would like to move towards the two universities being treated as largely separate entities on here, because although they do share some things, there are significant differences and these should be acknowledged. I think grades questions are specific to each university, and I'm hoping that having an Oxford thread and a Cambridge thread will encourage posters to consider which one they should be applying to rather than just asking whether their grades are good enough for either - admissions procedures are different enough that answering this question will usually require two people anyway. I can't pretend to know as much about Oxford admissions as I'd like to, but I know a lot about Cambridge, and Oxford people like TLG are the opposite! Two separate threads should ensure that people receive the right information from the right people, and obviously keenos such as myself will be keeping an eye on both threads for any cases where we can pitch in with knowledge overlap.

However, I am currently working on an 'Oxford or Cambridge?' sticky in the Oxbridge forum precisely to highlight the differences that I mentioned earlier. The thread will serve a slightly different purpose to the grades threads, but will hopefully be useful in helping people to decide.

Hope that everyone's happy with that, and feel free to make any further suggestions :smile:
Original post by Insanity514
Hi

lets put it this way - there are 4 choices of medical school, only 1 will ever require the BMAT (because you can only apply to one of Oxford and Cambridge)

Confident enough to try, but not always with empirical justification. Only 30% get shortlisted, so only 30% were right.

Taking a past-paper before applying is a good idea if you're worried about how well you'll do, but remember that your school may provide additional help to BMAT candidates after application, and practice does help.

Original post by Zoedotdot
...:smile:

Sounds fair enough, thanks Zoe.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
Personally, i had not paid much attention to the level of competition before i applied! I had not found the stats about how high average %A* was, etc. I just thought i liked the place and course, and thought that i could make a competitive application whatever they threw at me (including this mysterious BMAT thing, which i had not even looked at).

In hindsight, i was very immature about how i approached it. A much better plan would be to, like you say, do some practice papers before even applying to see how competitive you might be. Have you done the UKCAT? A good performance in that probably correlates with BMAT success, especially section 1.

I did my ukcat today.
Didn't do as well as expected ( 550, 730, 670, 760) average 677.5.
I've tried a couple of the sciency bmat questions and got most of them right within the timelimits

Latest

Trending

Trending