The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

They don't have any 'requirements' for your AS grades, but I presume they'd probably be expecting (at least) ABB to be predicted A*AA overall.
Original post by Octohedral
You'd be very lucky to get an offer with less than 4 As at AS, without exenuating circumstances, due to the sheer number of candidates they get with those grades and better.

Certainly go for it, but be aware of how competitive it is. Good luck though :smile:

Really? This surprises me. I may be wrong though, OP :tongue:

yep! My friend got an offer with AAB at AS (with the B in the subject she was applying for). I know a few other people on here/the facebook group who got Bs in the subjects they dropped and got interviews/offers.
Reply 1782
Ah okay. I'm basically asking because I've just been doing my AS exams and I'm a bit worried about quite a few of them which is pretty dire :P Comp2 was cruel; I felt horrible coming out of my Spanish written exam; my Chinese speaking was embarrassing and to top it off I have Core 3 maths on Thursday :biggrin:
I've had friends go for interviews this year:
One went for English with AAAC
One went for History with AAAB (the b was in history and she got an interview)
One went for Music with AAABD
Another went for Music with AAA
but then there was someone who went for sciene with AAAA and didn't get an interview so i think your statement and the course is important
Original post by doloroushazy
yep! My friend got an offer with AAB at AS (with the B in the subject she was applying for). I know a few other people on here/the facebook group who got Bs in the subjects they dropped and got interviews/offers.

hey, what facebook group is it? :smile:
Original post by Maixiu
Sorry if this has already been answered like a million times; I'm just curious but I couldn't find a decent answer and I did search around :tongue:

What kind of minimum grades do you need at AS to get an interview at Oxford? If the course matters, I would be applying for Oriental Studies (Japanese) at Wadham for 2013 entry.

Thanks! :smile:

Four or more As of which ideally the three most related to your course of study should be 90% (of max UMS) or greater. At least they don't want 1 module in the subject you want with 100% like cam :P mainly it's their aptitude test and interviews that count. GCSEs don't matter much as long as you have at least 4 A*s.
Any chance of an offer you got 3As and a C, but with a UMS of 95% in the single subject you're applying for, and the C being in an irrelevant subject that will be dropped for A2s?
Oxford: do not see your AS module marks unless you mention it in your application (normally the referee does this)
As such it's a bit silly to say you need a minimum of 90% UMS when a large chunk of applicants don't specify.

You do not need all As at AS level - that would help, but as long as you are predicted 3 As at A2 and perform well at aptitude tests/give in good submitted work then you have a pretty good chance of getting an interview, which is also a significant factor.

I don't know where people are arbitrarily pulling figures like "minimum 4A* at GCSE" from.... they consider each application on a case by case basis, looking at many different indicators of aptitude.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1788
I have just finished AS levels and im pretty sure im going to have to redo more than half of them (those were my first goes ever in the summer) in January. I think i will do a lot better by then. I was planning to apply for oxford, but im not sure if my resits will cut down my chances. The subject im planning to choose is Arabic which isn't really competitive and i think i have quite good extra curricular relating to it though i have no a-level for it (but i have a gcse).

Will they really look at my resits for AS....worrying me silly 1:confused:
Original post by Octohedral
You'd be very lucky to get an offer with less than 4 As at AS, without exenuating circumstances, due to the sheer number of candidates they get with those grades and better.

Really? This surprises me. I may be wrong though, OP :tongue:

You're wrong. It does happen more often than you think :smile:

But of course it's true that most will have three or more A grades at AS
Original post by CurtisDean
hey, what facebook group is it? :smile:

Probably https://www.facebook.com/groups/oxford2012entry/
Reply 1791
Original post by Maixiu
Ah okay. I'm basically asking because I've just been doing my AS exams and I'm a bit worried about quite a few of them which is pretty dire :P Comp2 was cruel; I felt horrible coming out of my Spanish written exam; my Chinese speaking was embarrassing and to top it off I have Core 3 maths on Thursday :biggrin:

Hope not or you missed it (last Thursday!).

Hope you just meant Core 4 (the one that has got a new exam paper being issued ready for next Thursday, due to an issue in Egypt as mentioned on the BBC website).
Original post by Lizzy12
Hope not or you missed it (last Thursday!).
Not all exam boards have the C3 exam on the same day :smile: (OCR MEI has C3 this week I believe)
I got into Oxford with AABB with one of the Bs in Spanish (I got in for French)

I don't think they're bothered too much as people are at different stages - I think they care more about GCSEs as everyone is on an even playing field.
Reply 1794
Hi, I have just been informed that despite having the correct entry requirements to study History, my application may not be given full consideration just because one of my As is in Design and Technology. A c/w heavy subject. Does this sound accurate to you? If this is the case, I obviously am not going to waste an application.
Original post by ARK94
Hi, I have just been informed that despite having the correct entry requirements to study History, my application may not be given full consideration just because one of my As is in Design and Technology. A c/w heavy subject. Does this sound accurate to you? If this is the case, I obviously am not going to waste an application.

There is sometimes a difference between the official line and what really happens. Any application depends on a variety of factors. What are your other A-levels? If they are good traditional subjects I'm sure it's not too big a deal. It's much more likely that your interview performance and aptitude tests will be of greater interest to the tutors.
(edited 11 years ago)
I got in with AAAB for Law, and the B was in an essay writing subject- but I did well in the other aspects, so yeah.
I think GCSEs are important to Oxford. That's what my college was told, anyway...
I'm considering applying to Oxford for Philosophy and Maths. My AS modules have been good so far (100,100,90) and I think I should do quite well in August.

However, I only moved to the UK in August so instead of taking GCSEs, I spent two years an American high school earning 'credits' towards graduation which I didn't complete as I moved. :tongue:

I know that Oxford looks at the MAT and GCSEs when looking at who to interview, so I'm wondering if having no GCSEs will be a huge disadvantage to the extent that there is no point applying?
Original post by Americaniamh
I know that Oxford looks at the MAT and GCSEs when looking at who to interview, so I'm wondering if having no GCSEs will be a huge disadvantage to the extent that there is no point applying?
No it won't disadvantage you at all! :smile:
Original post by fluteflute
No it won't disadvantage you at all! :smile:

OK thanks! :smile: Still not 100% sure I want to apply but at least that concern is out of the way. :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending