The Student Room Group

Are my AS level choices 'weak'?

I'm starting college next week and was wondering if my choices are 'respectable' or not.

English Language
Media Studies
Law
Psychology

Was planning on doing Law or Journalism at university

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Well they differ. Psychology is a science, but not considered with the same regard as the traditional sciences like chemistry. English Language is a traditional subject but you may be better taking English Literature if you want to do Law/Journalism. Media Studies is ok, but there are other subjects that carry more weight. Law depends upon the exam board.

But this is the important thing. Take subjects that you like and enjoy, not because of the status. Plus do not take my word to heart, I am not 100 percent.
None of those subjects that you have listed are considered as 'hard' or 'traditional' subjects.

From Trinity College's list:
LIST B
A-levels of More Limited Suitability

Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Arts)
Business Studies (Economics)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Land Economy & Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

Non-preferred subjects from LSE
:
Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Law
Media Studies

Music Technology
Sports Studies

But as the above said, do what you think you will enjoy.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you want to go into Journalism you should really have English Literature.

For Law you should take English Literature, History and preferably either Classics or Philosophy.

Your A-Levels aren't the worst but they could do with strengthening.
Reply 4
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

this link suggests your subjects are weak.
Reply 5
Original post by michaelhaych
If you want to go into Journalism you should really have English Literature.

For Law you should take English Literature, History and preferably either Classics or Philosophy.

Your A-Levels aren't the worst but they could do with strengthening.

This and add a science or two if possible. Showing a good variety can't hurt.
Original post by leedsmad94
This and add a science or two if possible. Showing a good variety can't hurt.

There is absolutely no need to have a science if you want to study Journalism or Law. There's plenty of Law students on this site who say that taking a Science to "broaden there options" was a complete waste of time and a mistake.

Universities would much rather see you have relevant A-Levels than a "broad range" of A-Levels.
Original post by Paintgirl50
I'm starting college next week and was wondering if my choices are 'respectable' or not.

English Language
Media Studies
Law
Psychology

Was planning on doing Law or Journalism at university

Thanks in advance :smile:

Not at all. Law, EngLang and Psychology are all academic A-levels, which Media Studies being the only real "mickey mouse" one. If you want a good set of A-levels, I'd either drop Media Studies after AS or swap it now for a more academic A-level.

There is absolutely no need to have a science if you want to study Journalism or Law. There's plenty of Law students on this site who say that taking a Science to "broaden there options" was a complete waste of time and a mistake.

Universities would much rather see you have relevant A-Levels than a "broad range" of A-Levels.

I can't say for Journalism, but actually plenty of Law students have studied Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A-level and have been very successful in their legal studies. If you look at university law faculties, you'll find that as long as they A-level is academic, there is no real preference for subjects, as long as you can demonstrate that you'd be a good law student. The only way that English, History etc help you is that they develop the kind of skills you need to study law, which may help you through an interview/admissions test.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
One misconception is that Law A level will help you in Law at degree level, however the general consensus here is that taking the "hard" subjects at A level will better prepare you for the rigours of university Law (more so for the Russell Group). Although Law A level may seem like the obvious choice, other subjects such as History and English Literature are often looked at as more favourable then Law.

I'm sure taking those A levels won't hinder your chances of getting in to university for Law or Journalism (except for perhaps for very top universities, where most applicants have top grades so they need to use subject choice as another deciding factor) however taking English Literature instead of Language will probably prepare you more as an individual for the undergraduate course.
Reply 9
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=33772862#post33772862

guys i have a similar question to this. i would really appreciate the advice you have. please check it out.

thank you :smile:
Reply 10
^ oh and its about law degree and my a level subjects :smile:
Original post by Rascacielos

I can't say for Journalism, but actually plenty of Law students have studied Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths at A-level and have been very successful in their legal studies. If you look at university law faculties, you'll find that as long as they A-level is academic, there is no real preference for subjects, as long as you can demonstrate that you'd be a good law student. The only way that English, History etc help you is that they develop the kind of skills you need to study law, which may help you through an interview/admissions test.

Yes but I was referring to people who studied Arts and then included a Science subject. They tend to find that the Science subject would have been no more helpful than any other subject, regardless of how "broad" it made their A-Levels appear.
Yes but I was referring to people who studied Arts and then included a Science subject. They tend to find that the Science subject would have been no more helpful than any other subject, regardless of how "broad" it made their A-Levels appear.

What if they have an interest in that science subject? What's to stop them studying it just because it's different from the rest of their choices? A little bit of variety is nice and, which can be helpful for subjects like Law and Journalism where you need a good knowledge of lots of different things.
Seem fine to me. Depends on what you think and what the uni wants. Best of luck OP :yy:
I really hate it when i see 'government and politics' in the black list :angry:
I'd love to see some of them take the test, see how far they get :yes:
Original post by Rascacielos
What if they have an interest in that science subject? What's to stop them studying it just because it's different from the rest of their choices? A little bit of variety is nice and, which can be helpful for subjects like Law and Journalism where you need a good knowledge of lots of different things.

Well obviously if they WANT to study it but I was referring to (as I'm sure you know fine well what I was referring to) people who decide to take a Science A-Level because they feel that they should in an attempt to broaden their subject choices rather than taking it due to a desire to want to study Science. Any other well respected A-Level would be just as acceptable as a fourth subject when it comes to applying for Law.
Reply 16
Original post by elitepower
Well they differ. Psychology is a science, but not considered with the same regard as the traditional sciences like chemistry. English Language is a traditional subject but you may be better taking English Literature if you want to do Law/Journalism. Media Studies is ok, but there are other subjects that carry more weight. Law depends upon the exam board.

But this is the important thing. Take subjects that you like and enjoy, not because of the status. Plus do not take my word to heart, I am not 100 percent.

The problem with Literature - I don't like reading fat books :colondollar: though I did get an A at GCSE. The exam board for Law is OCR.
Reply 17
Original post by rubadubdub
None of those subjects that you have listed are considered as 'hard' or 'traditional' subjects.

From Trinity College's list:
LIST B
A-levels of More Limited Suitability

Archaeology (Arch & Anth)
Art & Design (Arts)
Business Studies (Economics)
Design & Technology (Architecture)
Drama/Theatre Studies (Arts)
Electronics (Engineering)
English Language (Arts)
Film Studies (Arts)
Government & Politics (Arts)
Law (Land Economy & Law)
Media Studies (Arts)
Psychology (Arts)
Sociology (Arts)

Non-preferred subjects from LSE
:
Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Law
Media Studies

Music Technology
Sports Studies

But as the above said, do what you think you will enjoy.

I don't understand this :colondollar: loll
care to explain please? :smile:

Unis put lists of A Level subjects they like seeing candidates having up online. This is because poorer schools often encourage children to take easier A Levels so they look better- whereas private schools encourage children to take "harder" and "respectable" a levels so they can get kids into oxbridge.

Psychology is "of limited suitability" because you don't need it for any degree- even for psychology its not needed. Whereas maths/physics/chemistry/english lit/history are usefull for a lot of degrees!!

Psychology isn't easy- but its not respected... the essays nothing compared to english lit.

^ what Iammichaeljackson said.

It would benefit you if you took English Literature instead of English language, or even combined lit/lang if you think straight literature would be too hard for you.

As for the Law As, it's not really necessary for someone going into the law/journalism career path so you would be better taking a more respected Arts in the long run.. maybe philosophy?

Unis allow one subject from the non-preferred lists so keep psychology and swap media studies for something else?

Quick Reply

Latest