The Student Room Group

Just got one of my remarks back. Not happy. :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by worker13
It just feels like an injustice based on my experience these last two years but I'm guessing there are students up and down the country in the same situation.

I can only apply to like two medical schools but oh well. I guess there's nothing I can do now. Even though I'm still waiting on one remark I doubt it'll change tbh. I hear OCR are notorious with remarks. :frown:

Are you sure about that? I'm sure only a few medicial schools specify that you need an A in AS Chemistry? usually the most importance is placed on A2 predictions.
Reply 21
No they definitely won't change it if you just ask, you have to send them money - it's a bank in nigeria, if you want I can give you the details :wink:
Reply 22
Original post by Tsunami2011
Apparently OCR never change their marks.

They do. My Psychology went up by 3 UMS, so it's not OCR's fault that the OP actually really did get 1 UMS below an A.

OP there's nothing you can do now, just get your teacher to predict you an A and work harder next year to get it.
Reply 23
Are you sure about that? I'm sure only a few medicial schools specify that you need an A in AS Chemistry? usually the most importance is placed on A2 predictions.

For AS chemistry I would be fine. But I just finished A2. Nearly all med schools require 3 A's including Chemistry. Chemistry is the most important.
Seeing as this is the A level and not AS level If I resit a paper I'll go beyond the 2 year A level sitting requirement that nearly all med schools have so I won't be able to apply.

I should've made that clearer. Sorry.
Original post by Lollyage
They do. My Psychology went up by 3 UMS, so it's not OCR's fault that the OP actually really did get 1 UMS below an A.

OP there's nothing you can do now, just get your teacher to predict you an A and work harder next year to get it.

Please note the use of 'apparently'.
Reply 25
Original post by Lollyage

They're very stingy with grade changes. Something like 1 in every 13 who request a remark have there actual grades changed. They're not bad with giving an extra mark or 2 but very stingy if it means it will change the grade. This is a fact and OCR have said it themselves.
Research has also gone into this.

Congrats on your grade change.
It just feels like an injustice based on my experience these last two years but I'm guessing there are students up and down the country in the same situation.

I can only apply to like two medical schools but oh well. I guess there's nothing I can do now. Even though I'm still waiting on one remark I doubt it'll change tbh. I hear OCR are notorious with remarks. :frown:

Why does this guy think that getting a grade A in chemistry is part of his human rights?
Reply 27
Original post by Computerised
Why does this guy think that getting a grade A in chemistry is part of his human rights?

Instead of trying to act like an arse, imagine how you would feel if you were in my situation.

And no you're not funny. :rolleyes:
Instead of trying to act like an arse, imagine how you would feel if you were in my situation.

And no you're not funny. :rolleyes:

I would be upset too, but as everybody else here as said if you didn't get the grade you didn't get the grade. You can't go to OCR and say "just give me an A because I want it".
Reply 29
OP, instead of applying directly for medicine, why don't you do a degree like biochem etc and then apply as a graduate? You could resit one paper in chem a level during this time and have your A as well as another degree.
Reply 30
Original post by wanab
OP, instead of applying directly for medicine, why don't you do a degree like biochem etc and then apply as a graduate? You could resit one paper in chem a level during this time and have your A as well as another degree.

This is good advice but it's far too late. I'll have to go through 2012 cycle for definite. Thanks. :smile:
Apparently OCR never change their marks.

This. My remarks never changed, neither did my friends. So different to AQA where you can go up 10 marks easily (English lit).
I was originally one ums off an A in chemistry and asked for a remark in two exams. One of them came back today. No change. :frown::frown::frown:

It's really important that my grade goes up because I need to to apply for courses I want to do that require an A in chemistry. Is there any way I can convince the exam board to raise my grade consider my situation?. The men and women who work on exam boards are not the type of indivduals who would change grades beacuse you say pretty please, unless you have extenuating circumstances which is suported by you collegeI was just 1UMS and I'm very doubtful now the other one will go up. The exam board is OCR.
What a terrible start to the morning.:frown::frown::frown:

I should also say I'm just finished A2 not AS.

Edit: OK guys, even though I've got one more remark to wait for I'm just going to assume it didn't change. Thanks to the very few who decided not to take this as an opportunity to try and be funny and score some points and were kind enough to be sensitive about my situation.
Thanks.

At the end of the day, in Exams, everyone gets what they deserve
Reply 33
Please note the use of 'apparently'.

Yes I saw it. I just didn't want the OP to think that the grade didn't change because of OCR not wanting to change it, but rather because they got his mark correct the first time.
Reply 34
The sooner you accept you achieved a B, the sooner you can correct it
Thanks for a decent response. Getting predicited an A really won't make a difference seeing as I want to apply for medicine. I guess this means I can only apply to like 2 medical schools.

Someone from my school's sixth form got into oxford for medicine with a B in chemistry at AS this year (it was due to teacher being absent most of the year though). So as long as you have an A predicted it should be ok.

edit: sorry just read your post saying it was A2, nevermind :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 36
This is good advice but it's far too late. I'll have to go through 2012 cycle for definite. Thanks. :smile:

Aw I'm sorry :frown: I hope it all works out ok for you, can you resit one of the papers in January if you have to apply in 2012?
Reply 37
Original post by Wenger
The sooner you accept you achieved a B, the sooner you can correct it

I know I achieved a b but if there's a way for me to get that 1 ums I'll try everything. At the end of the day if there's nothing I can do I'll just have to retake.
Reply 38
Original post by wanab
Aw I'm sorry :frown: I hope it all works out ok for you, can you resit one of the papers in January if you have to apply in 2012?

Thanks and yes you can it just means if I get an offer it will be conditional.
But most med schools won't accept my resits it because i'll go beyond the 2 years of study i.e. by definition I'll be a retake applicant.
Reply 39
Thanks and yes you can it just means if I get an offer it will be conditional.
But most med schools won't accept my resits it because i'll go beyond the 2 years of study i.e. by definition I'll be a retake applicant.

I think certain schools are funny about it from what I've found (I'm going to be applying as a graduate) but others are more lenient about the 2 year requirement if you have any circumstances which may have caused your performance to not be to your potential then there is an even better chance that you'll do fine. Consider putting a BSc as your 5th choice, and genuinely consider taking it if you (and I hope you don't need this option) don't get an offer in 2012. Graduate entry is actually really interesting, I'm really enjoying my degree...and it has given me plenty of time in the holidays to get some work exp in.

Really hope it all works out well for you, I'm sorry your remark didn't come back with that 1 extra mark :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest