The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Can I still apply to Leeds?!

My predicted grades will be BBC, maybe ABC. The entry requirements for the course that I want to study at Leeds is ABC. I've been told that even if my predicted are BBC, then I can still apply to unis which are asking for ABC. but i dont understand? what happens then? If they give me an offer would it be for BBC? (my predicted) or ABC?
Help please! :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't tell you for certain, because obviously each university and each department differs, but I know people who applied with lower predictions than the entry requirements and were rejected. If they did give you an offer I'm pretty sure they'd give you the offer of ABC and just expect you to achieve that.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Abnegation
I can't tell you for certain, because obviously each university and each department differs, but I know people who applied with lower predictions than the entry requirements and were rejected. If they did give you an offer I'm pretty sure they'd give you the offer of ABC and just expect you to achieve that.

Ok thanks for the reply! do you think it's worth it or are my chances very slim?
Reply 3
Original post by JakeE10
Ok thanks for the reply! do you think it's worth it or are my chances very slim?

No problem :smile: Well if it's somewhere you really want to go to, it's worth it just to see. If possible I'd see if you could get your prediction raised so it meets the entry requirements - talk to your head of sixth about it if you can, and just emphasise the fact that Leeds is somewhere you'd really like to apply.
Reply 4
No problem :smile: Well if it's somewhere you really want to go to, it's worth it just to see. If possible I'd see if you could get your prediction raised so it meets the entry requirements - talk to your head of sixth about it if you can, and just emphasise the fact that Leeds is somewhere you'd really like to apply.

Thanks! Yes I will. I don't think i'll have to persuade them too much! I got 75% (strong B) in german but i'm resitting the written exam as i only got a low B this year, which pulled my grade down. but by the time the resit comes next year I will be so much better at german so i'll probably gain a good amount of marks! So I can probably get predicted an A in german! then a B in english and a C in economics (was only few marks off this year but resitting one of the units that i did bad in) :smile: so it is possible!!

BUT....... If i'm predicted ABC, and I apply to somewhere which is asking for BBC too (manchester, bristol) and get an offer, what will they offer me? just BBC which is the lowest entry requirements? or will they offer me my predicted? (ABC) If this is the case then I don't know if it's a good idea to push for slightly higher predicted grades because what if I end up getting BBC and I don't meet the offers of Manchester and Bristol? Even though i'd have probably got in if i'd had been predicted BBC in the first place? (because then they'd have given me an offer for BBC and i'd have met the offer?)

Reply if you can help please! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by JakeE10
Thanks! Yes I will. I don't think i'll have to persuade them too much! I got 75% (strong B) in german but i'm resitting the written exam as i only got a low B this year, which pulled my grade down. but by the time the resit comes next year I will be so much better at german so i'll probably gain a good amount of marks! So I can probably get predicted an A in german! then a B in english and a C in economics (was only few marks off this year but resitting one of the units that i did bad in) :smile: so it is possible!!

BUT....... If i'm predicted ABC, and I apply to somewhere which is asking for BBC too (manchester, bristol) and get an offer, what will they offer me? just BBC which is the lowest entry requirements? or will they offer me my predicted? (ABC) If this is the case then I don't know if it's a good idea to push for slightly higher predicted grades because what if I end up getting BBC and I don't meet the offers of Manchester and Bristol? Even though i'd have probably got in if i'd had been predicted BBC in the first place? (because then they'd have given me an offer for BBC and i'd have met the offer?)

Reply if you can help please! :biggrin:

Generally, it doesn't matter what your predictions are in the case of applying to somewhere with lower requirements. In this case, you'd be given the entry requirements of BBC for those universities, regardless of whether you're predicted ABC or not. If each university gave you an offer which was equal to your predicted grades, there'd be no point in having an insurance choice :P
Reply 6
Generally, it doesn't matter what your predictions are in the case of applying to somewhere with lower requirements. In this case, you'd be given the entry requirements of BBC for those universities, regardless of whether you're predicted ABC or not. If each university gave you an offer which was equal to your predicted grades, there'd be no point in having an insurance choice :P

Ah right ok, i'm thick :P haha!
So if i'm predicted ABC and i apply to Manchester and get an offer, it will be BBC?!
lol :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by JakeE10
Ah right ok, i'm thick :P haha!
So if i'm predicted ABC and i apply to Manchester and get an offer, it will be BBC?!
lol :biggrin:

Haha, you're not - I've just done all of the UCAS nonsense already so I have a vague idea of how it works :P

Yeah, that's right :smile:
Reply 8
Haha, you're not - I've just done all of the UCAS nonsense already so I have a vague idea of how it works :P

Yeah, that's right :smile:

Haha ok! Thanks for the help! How come you've already done it?! :biggrin:
Where are you applying to?
Original post by JakeE10
My predicted grades will be BBC, maybe ABC. The entry requirements for the course that I want to study at Leeds is ABC. I've been told that even if my predicted are BBC, then I can still apply to unis which are asking for ABC. but i dont understand? what happens then? If they give me an offer would it be for BBC? (my predicted) or ABC?
Help please! :biggrin:

Your choices ARE too ambitious. My friends who applied for German all got ABB offers from Manchester, I applied for Arabic there myself fooled by the BBC entry requirement and was given ABB too :/ and if I'm completely honest with you, I seriously doubt Bristol would give out a BBC offer for German too.

You should be fine for Leeds and Liverpool- perhaps have 2/3 unis with a UCAS points offer as back up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by lechaton-x
Your choices ARE too ambitious. My friends who applied for German all got ABB offers from Manchester, I applied for Arabic there myself fooled by the BBC entry requirement and was given ABB too :/ and if I'm completely honest with you, I seriously doubt Bristol would give out a BBC offer for German too.

You should be fine for Leeds and Liverpool- perhaps have 2/3 unis with a UCAS points offer as back up.

ahhh no :/ how come they put BBC on the entry requirements then?! :/
So did you not get into manchester?
Reply 11

Ah, in that case I misunderstood. I wasn't aware you were talking about a course with minimum/maximum entry requirements - I thought it was just one set entry requirement of BBC and you were worried that they'd increase it for some reason if you were to be predicted higher than that. Sorry for any confusion - in that case you should definitely err on the side of caution, particularly if you're closer at the moment to BBC than ABB.
Reply 12
but Liverpool and sheffield are BBB too, and i could possibly get ABC, but not BBB. So they're out of the window too :/
Original post by JakeE10
ahhh no :/ how come they put BBC on the entry requirements then?! :/
So did you not get into manchester?

If you look properly, you'd see that the entry requirements are BBC-ABB. This is the case for all MFL at Manchester. Usually the European languages departments want the A in the language you're studying too. They put BBC on the entry requirements to encourage people to apply there, that is the only reason. Same with Bristol. I honestly don't want to sound rude, but you're being very naive about the entry requirements- I'm only telling you this because I don't want you to get your hopes up/get given an offer you don't think you'll match.

I'd still apply to Leeds and Liverpool as they're more 'lenient' unis and you should be okay being predicted ABC to apply there especially with a good personal statement...however I'd look at these unis as they deal in UCAS points, as these will be good back ups. Maybe even go for Manchester, but there is a very good chance that you will get an offer of ABC/ABB rather than the BBC you desire :/

If you want to apply to those three, then I seriously recommend that you apply 2 two universities where you are certain you'll make the requirements.

(I did get into Manchester, but I chose Exeter over it- as they both gave me the same offer, but Exeter was the better uni.)
Reply 14
If you look properly, you'd see that the entry requirements are BBC-ABB. This is the case for all MFL at Manchester. Usually the European languages departments want the A in the language you're studying too. They put BBC on the entry requirements to encourage people to apply there, that is the only reason. Same with Bristol. I honestly don't want to sound rude, but you're being very naive about the entry requirements- I'm only telling you this because I don't want you to get your hopes up/get given an offer you don't think you'll match.

I'd still apply to Leeds and Liverpool as they're more 'lenient' unis and you should be okay being predicted ABC to apply there especially with a good personal statement...however I'd look at these unis as they deal in UCAS points, as these will be good back ups. Maybe even go for Manchester, but there is a very good chance that you will get an offer of ABC/ABB rather than the BBC you desire :/

If you want to apply to those three, then I seriously recommend that you apply 2 two universities where you are certain you'll make the requirements.

(I did get into Manchester, but I chose Exeter over it- as they both gave me the same offer, but Exeter was the better uni.)

Yeah i understand exactly where you're coming from! my hopes weren't that high in the first place to be honest! I know how hard it is to get into manchester as it's a top/very competitive uni. As for bristol, I was only looking at it but i'm not going to apply there anymore. not only because of the fact i've realised i don't really have a chance but i don't really want to move so far away from home anyway (manchester) I'm now thinking of applying to Leeds (ABC) then Liverpool/Sheffield maybe, Manchester (ABB-BBC) then the last two will be unis where i'm certain i'll meet the requirements like u said! These will probably be Hull (260 points) and MMU (240-280 points)

but liverpool/sheffield....... do you know which one is more competitive for languages? which one is more lenient? AND.... if i'm predicted ABC which is very likely... the entry requirements for Leeds and Sheffield both have very specific entry req say ''BBB'' so if i apply and get an offer will it be for BBB or could they give me and offer of my predicted grades (ABC)? as they're both equal in terms of tariff points?

Thanks if you could reply!!! :biggrin:
Original post by JakeE10
Yeah i understand exactly where you're coming from! my hopes weren't that high in the first place to be honest! I know how hard it is to get into manchester as it's a top/very competitive uni. As for bristol, I was only looking at it but i'm not going to apply there anymore. not only because of the fact i've realised i don't really have a chance but i don't really want to move so far away from home anyway (manchester) I'm now thinking of applying to Leeds (ABC) then Liverpool/Sheffield maybe, Manchester (ABB-BBC) then the last two will be unis where i'm certain i'll meet the requirements like u said! These will probably be Hull (260 points) and MMU (240-280 points)

but liverpool/sheffield....... do you know which one is more competitive for languages? which one is more lenient? AND.... if i'm predicted ABC which is very likely... the entry requirements for Leeds and Sheffield both have very specific entry req say ''BBB'' so if i apply and get an offer will it be for BBB or could they give me and offer of my predicted grades (ABC)? as they're both equal in terms of tariff points?

Thanks if you could reply!!! :biggrin:

I'd say Sheffield is more competitive for MFL, so I'd go for Liverpool personally...
Reply 16
I'd say Sheffield is more competitive for MFL, so I'd go for Liverpool personally...

Ok cool.

But they're both ''BBB'' and if i apply with predicted grades of ABC will i still have a chance? because ABC is possible for me but i really don't think i get BBB. but they're both equal in points :s-smilie:
Original post by JakeE10
Ok cool.

But they're both ''BBB'' and if i apply with predicted grades of ABC will i still have a chance? because ABC is possible for me but i really don't think i get BBB. but they're both equal in points :s-smilie:

I'd say it's worth the risk, just make sure your personal statement is excellent. After all, you will have 2 unis that you should be safe to get into.
Reply 18
That's the same with me, I want to apply to Leeds but the grades they are offering are ABB, and I got predicted ABC (sooo annoying), but still apply for it, I mean its only one grade difference, that's what I've done anyway, but its up to you :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by jgruet
That's the same with me, I want to apply to Leeds but the grades they are offering are ABB, and I got predicted ABC (sooo annoying), but still apply for it, I mean its only one grade difference, that's what I've done anyway, but its up to you :smile:

ahh cool! Good luck :smile: What are you applying for?

Quick Reply

Latest