The Student Room Group

25% extra time in exams

I'm suffering with depression and seeing a mental health therapist for it. I got told that I can claim 25% of my exams' time in my GCSEs. I just don't know how to do it.. Is there anyone who has claimed 25% of the time due to something similar and how did you do it please? :smile:
Talk to your tutor/teacher(s) giving a note from your doctor and they should sort it out for you :smile:
Reply 2
i'm using it in A levels but for different reason :biggrin: u just need to tell your school exams officer :wink:
Reply 3
is it true for a level exams if you suffer from serious dyslexia you caN GET 50%? and how much is 50% ?
Reply 4
Original post by otrivine
is it true for a level exams if you suffer from serious dyslexia you caN GET 50%? and how much is 50% ?

Yeah, I'm not sure whether it's 50% but you can definitely get extra time If you have dyslexia. 50% is half the exam time and add it to the original time. eg: If your exam last an hour, you can get an hour and a half :smile:

And Thank you! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by petals15
Yeah, I'm not sure whether it's 50% but you can definitely get extra time If you have dyslexia. 50% is half the exam time and add it to the original time. eg: If your exam last an hour, you can get an hour and a half :smile:

And Thank you! :smile:

what are you joking ? do you mean if you an exam is 1 hour will you get 30 minutes extra or 1 and a half hour extra cause 25% is 15 minutes so i would imagine 50% is 30min thank you too petals :wink:
Reply 6
what are you joking ? do you mean if you an exam is 1 hour will you get 30 minutes extra or 1 and a half hour extra cause 25% is 15 minutes so i would imagine 50% is 30min thank you too petals :wink:

If your exam lasts an hour and you get 50% extra time, you'll get 30 mins extra which will give you 1 and half hours, yes :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by petals15
I'm suffering with depression and seeing a mental health therapist for it. I got told that I can claim 25% of my exams' time in my GCSEs. I just don't know how to do it.. Is there anyone who has claimed 25% of the time due to something similar and how did you do it please? :smile:

I have never heard of anyone getting extra time for depression. Could you justify why you need it, or are you just out for anything you can get? It doesn't seem very likely that you will get it but the person you need to talk to is the SENCO. They are responsible for collating the evidence of need for extra time and then give it to the exams officer to make the application online.
Reply 8

Incredibly rare. The only standard case for getting more than 25% extra time is for Braille users.
Reply 9
if your dsylexic you get 25 percent in all exams . Its great:smile: i get it .
OP you need to talk to your senco( i know it not a special education need but there normally the ones that organize it ) or your exams officer . You might be able to get it thought . But more likely you just get special consideration when there marking it .
Reply 10
People at my school had to undergo a test which determined how much extra time they were allowed. I never took the test despite suffering from anxiety as I didn't feel the need for extra time, but your circumstances may be different. The amount awarded was either 10% or 25% depending on the results of the test.
Reply 11
this. why has this guy been negged?

+rep
Reply 12
Original post by __________
this. why has this guy been negged?

+rep

?Possibly because it's not what happens? The exams officer has no responsibility to make these sort of decisions, he only acts on the evidence given to him by the SENCO. No one writes a letter of support to the exam board, the application is made on line and is not directed at any exam board.
Reply 13
Original post by Data
?Possibly because it's not what happens? The exams officer has no responsibility to make these sort of decisions, he only acts on the evidence given to him by the SENCO. No one writes a letter of support to the exam board, the application is made on line and is not directed at any exam board.

oh right sorry yeah i thought the OP had approval from the special needs dept :colondollar:

yeah, its the head of SENCO who organises it sorry

No, you won't get 50%. Up to 25% is possible. There are other rules governing physical problems which require things like rest breaks, but I've never heard of anyone getting more than 25% for dyslexia in 28 years of teaching.
Reply 15
I get 25% extra time but not for your reasons. Go to the exams officer and talk to them, and try to get a letter off your therapist if you need back up. I have a letter from my doctor and I'm going back this week to ask about rest breaks as my condition allows me to take them as well :smile:
Reply 16
hey @petals15, i suffer from anxiety, schizophrenia, and dyslexia, my school was really kind and also offered me extra time. I found it really hard at first having major breakdowns. I was also then given the opportunity to have a reader and a scribe and that seemed to help so maybe ask for one of those. Hope you get better soon. Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest