The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Detective - The Man who was Thursday
Philosophical - Crime and Punishment (obviously not philosophical as such but all about moral choices and consequences)
Scientific technical - Ian Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities
(edited 13 years ago)
'The Natural History of Selbourne' by Gilbert White. It's a well known classic of Natural History. For a mixture of nature and philosophy, there's 'Walden' by Henry David Thoreau.
(edited 13 years ago)
Natural history - Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier (also wrote Girl with a Pearl Earring) - novel about fossil-hunting in the early 19th century and the start of understanding their significance.
Reply 183
Original post by Mess.
Are there any books that anyone can recommend along the lines of:
Crime / Detective novel or interesting real life one.
Philosophy but centered around real world ethical and moral choices.
Science/Technical in the medical or any ridiculously interesting field.
Natural history, although probably not Darwin :unsure:

Any help would be greatly appreciated :h:

Consider Peter Hoeg: smilla's sense of snow
The Intepretation of Murder
Dona Tartt: The Secret History
Ayn Rand: The Fountainhead
Reply 184
Thank you for all of the books everyone :h: I am going to start from the top and work my way through them :mmm: As well as adding a couple I already had in mind!

I shall try and give my thoughts when I get round to finishing them :woo:
Original post by Mess.

Philosophy but centered around real world ethical and moral choices.

Perhaps try reading 'Walden; or, Life in the Woods' by Henry David Thoreau, if you haven't already done so.
Reply 186
Hi everyone! I have a hobby, writing about the adventures of a universal amphibians from the Cambrian in our time. Maybe someday it will publish the book ... But here's this one chapter translated from Russian via Google translator. What could I corrected, but my English is still hmmm ... This is about the adventures of a cute Cambrian amphibians - a student at Sydney University! ..
http://spacenoology.agro.name/?page_id=4919
Yes, I would ask to assess how good or bad machine translation online? Google is spending billions to develop, have any results or not?
Reply 187
And why? I'd appreciate some reading suggestions :smile:
The Grapes of Wrath. It reallys stands out for me; though that is because I'm really interested in 1930s America.

We Need to Talk about Kevin is also definitely worth reading! It's quite controversial but I thought it was beautifully moving.
The Count of Monte Cristo- Dumas. It's 1000+ pages long, yet I wished it was longer.

Everything Is Illuminated- Jonathan Safran Foer. Enthralling, simple as that. The narrative style is intriguing, and moving. I tend not to read much modern fiction, but this is one of my favourite novels.

The Woman in White- Wilkie Collins. One of the best mystery novels ever written. Again, the narrative style adds to the plot.

The Master and Margarita- Mikhail Bulgakov. Devilishly good (hint hint)

Edgar Allan Poe is also one of my favourite authors. His short stories are all great; but you can get collections of the most well-known ones rather than buying his entire works
(edited 13 years ago)
I have no affinity to any genre in particular. I have a propensity to read classic literature but have will read something modern if any are mentioned.
Counte of Monte Cristo also, American Pyscho, Fight Club, Tale of Two Cities.
Well if you like the classics I might not be able to recommend any in that department :tongue: (I'm currently reading The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer, which is good if you havent read it).

I really like John Green's books: Looking for Alaska, Paper Towns and Will Grayson Will Grayson (which he wrote with David Levithan). It's teenage fiction.
I wouldn't confine my reading to classics alone. I've read a few modern novels, only one or two I'd say were any good though.
War and peace by Leo Tolstoy. Took me ages to read.
The Art of War
Harry Potter. Never before has a book enthralled me as much, made me fantasise about the world, the characters and the story. Provided hours of speculation and theories. Made me count down the days until the next release, wait fervently for any news regarding the next book and provided the will to dash to the store at midnight or release day. No other book has provided both the enjoyment whilst reading and the level of anticipation before release. It was the epitome of escapism.

Other books that make the cream of the crop would be the Lord of the Rings, His Dark Materials, Crime and Punishment, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Dune, Foundation and 1984.
(edited 11 years ago)
The Vesuvius club by mark gatiss
The big over easy By Jasper Fforde
Mortal mischief (can't remember who it's by sorry but is on the "leiberman papers)

That's just my current favourites!
Reply 198
Dangerous Liaisons by Pierre something-something-something Choderlos de Laclos.

It was great :smile: I bought it on a whim and expected it to be rather dull, considering it's a piece of classic lit, but wow. Completely captivating - it follows two members of the French aristocracy who like to play games of seduction, daring one another to seduce apparently virtuous women or men already in love.
London - Edward Rutherford.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending