The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kka25
So...what? You're saying it doesn't matter if the lecturer is bad and the students have to self teach themselves anyway? This is ridiculous and utter garbage. I'm at to uni to learn from people not from books. If that's the case, the there's no need for me to go Uni. Stay at home and study by myself. The books are there to aid me not to teach me. The lecturers are there to teach me.

I completely disagree. If you'd studied at Cambridge or Oxford you would have had a pretty nasty shock, since both institutions teach by making you disappear into a library, produce an argument based on your own reading and then defend that intelligently in front of a supervisor. They do not see good 'teaching' as spoon feeding lazy undergrads so that they don't have to read a single thing and can just breeze through their exams on lecture notes. And none of the lectures taught are comprehensive enough to enable a student to write an acceptable supervision or tute essay without having done some serious reading.

While that might not be fun, that is the difference between University and school, and it means that people who come out with a University education are capable of independent research and applying their own critical thinking skills to a range of difficult and new problems without somebody breaking it down into 10 easy steps for them.

Original post by danny111

I see, I did indeed not read very carefully. However, I maintain that for economics it is entirely possible that you will get funding from one uni but not another or that you get more from one (my friend got straight onto phd program and he will not just have his phd fees paid, but will also receive a yearly 'living allowance' which I know he would not have gotten at our undergrad uni).

I wasn't disagreeing with that :sigh:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by the_alba

University study *is* about becoming an independent learner; of course you can learn from and be supported by lecturers, but if you're completely dependent on them, you're doing something wrong. A lot of what you learn at university is, necessarily, from books, not teachers. In many Humanities subjects, for example, a student can expect only between five and eight actual contact hours a week; the rest of the time, they are expected to be reading and grappling with their subject independently. University is not and should not be about being told what to do and how to do it every step of the way. If you had extra problems with theory and sought help you didn't get, then fair enough; but it's misguided to expect a seminar or lecture to replace the hours of reading and thinking required to fully understand difficult concepts.

It is. I'm aware of that. But some lecturers don't even bother to explain the basics properly but expect the students to fend for themselves as if they would know how to study them properly. I'm not sure about the Humanities, but for the Sciences, without the proper maturity of the basics, you'll be lost and expecting a student to go further is like asking a person that doesn't know how to start a car engine to do parallel parking. Go luck with that.

I'm not asking them to tell students what to do. I'm just saying be clear with what they are lecturing. Mind you, these two are absolutely different and I'm fully aware that that would be the basis where people will start attacking my argument and accused me of being too dependent of the lectures which I'm not. From my experience, I listen to the the lectures or seminars provided, refer to whatever references they give by myself, refer to the syllabus of the courses where it's made from for guidelines, general guidelines for the course and read up by my own from the extra resources I discovered that help me study the modules. I can basically fend for my own and start learning it myself afterwards. If I get stuck, then I 'll make an appointment, and ask around. In fact, I can tell if the lecturers know their material well from all the resources I gathered and know whether they are knowledgeable enough to defend themselves from the questions that I ask from the resources I cite.

Obviously you don't expect lectures or seminars to replace hours of reading. That is just not doable. But once the lectures or seminars cover the essential, then it's more then enough for any students to fend on their own.

The thing that I find at owe is that some lectures can't even cover the basics properly and yet they expect the students to know the topic at the tip of their finger?

I once went to this lecturer for his consultation hour and he got mad with me for asking a question that I don't understand in the lecture and from the textbook that I brought along to ask. Not only that, he accused me of not understanding the topic properly and he doesn't understand what's the root problem, which he clearly stated very aggressively during the consultation hour. He went on to say that probably it's my lack of foundation from my previous courses or I just don't understand or get the thing. So the whole consultation was trying to understand why I don't understand the topic in a very accusing and belittling way, and not at all trying to help me understand it. He asked me to solve the problem in front of him which obviously I couldn't and mock me for not being able to do it. He said "this is too simple of a problem to ask. I don't understand why you don't get it." He shook his head in disapproval.

I went back feeling guilty, bad and utterly disappointed with myself which I shouldn't. It was during my 2nd year of Uni.

At the end I struggled and managed to get a B-. I don't really care about the grade really. When I look at the course, I have this enormous resentment for it. It didn't help my future as well when I needed the course during my Grad year because I still didn't grasp some of the earlier concepts and I've become less and less confident with the topic since they way I've experienced with it was so horrible.

Now, if you're still telling me I'm not putting much effort and not being independent enough or I'm being spoon fed or I just need to man up, then please advice me so I can better myself because to this day, I'm still at lost with this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Craghyrax
I completely disagree. If you'd studied at Cambridge or Oxford you would have had a pretty nasty shock, since both institutions teach by making you disappear into a library, produce an argument based on your own reading and then defend that intelligently in front of a supervisor. They do not see good 'teaching' as spoon feeding lazy undergrads so that they don't have to read a single thing and can just breeze through their exams on lecture notes. And none of the lectures taught are comprehensive enough to enable a student to write an acceptable supervision or tute essay without having done some serious reading.

While that might not be fun, that is the difference between University and school, and it means that people who come out with a University education are capable of independent research and applying their own critical thinking skills to a range of difficult and new problems without somebody breaking it down into 10 easy steps for them.

You're generalizing here and being too embroiled with your own misguided opinion from the spoon feeding mentality accusation.

I'm talking about bad lecturing.

I never like lecture notes. I prefer text books and other references. The lecture notes and slide are only for my guidance. After class time, I usually stayed in the library and used up my time to do extra reading and find extra resource to backup my understanding.

I love arguing with my lecturers. I love how I can make them quiet for a while to try to reason out whether my research is right or wrong. That's the fun part of the Supervisor-supervisee relationship. Seeing your supervisor getting stuck at a concept that you have mastered lol. A bit naughty but you know. :rolleyes:

Let me add that, people coming out from Uni can actually explain complex stuff and break it down into 10 easy steps. It seems some lecturers can't even do that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 43

In my course what you said is not really true, people do get funding from uni directly. And supervisor is one of the other issues I meant. Not that you would know for sure who your supervisor will be before you start (at least not in my subject*) and if you go to one uni coz of one great guy - guess what, everyone wants him/her as their supervisor.

*econ

This is the complete opposite of every field I've ever heard of, when it comes to sciences you pretty much apply for a PhD with a supervisor, the university is just the place that you carry out the research with that particular supervisor.
Reply 44
Original post by LostRiot
This is the complete opposite of every field I've ever heard of, when it comes to sciences you pretty much apply for a PhD with a supervisor, the university is just the place that you carry out the research with that particular supervisor.

I see.
Original post by kka25
You're generalizing here and being too embroiled with your own misguided opinion from the spoon feeding mentality accusation.

I'm talking about bad lecturing.

I never like lecture notes. I prefer text books and other references. The lecture notes and slide are only for my guidance. After class time, I usually stayed in the library and used up my time to do extra reading and find extra resource to backup my understanding.

I love arguing with my lecturers. I love how I can make them quiet for a while to try to reason out whether my research is right or wrong. That's the fun part of the Supervisor-supervisee relationship. Seeing your supervisor getting stuck at a concept that you have mastered lol. A bit naughty but you know. :rolleyes:

Let me add that, people coming out from Uni can actually explain complex stuff and break it down into 10 easy steps. It seems some lecturers can't even do that.

Perhaps, but I only have your word to go on, and since I wasn't in the actual lecture I have no idea whether to believe you or not that it was bad. Its highly subjective. In the past I have enjoyed lectures by some academics that other students in my college/year group have taken a strong dislike to. So its very subjective.
For all your talk of 'outwitting' your superiors, I don't know how much time you've spent actually reading the theory in question and trying to figure it out for yourself. It seems to me that if you have outwitted your department and do plenty of reading then what are you going a long to lectures for, and why are you so outraged when you clearly don't need them in order to do well and get to grips with your subject?

As to not wanting to pay for your degree if somebody's not going to teach you brilliantly, well I don't agree that people only go to University to learn more about a subject area. For most people there's an element to which they need a University qualification, or highly desire one, for whichever future path they consider to pursue. I also don't think that if you went home you'd actually do all that reading on your own. Firstly you wouldn't be able to afford all the books and journal subscriptions, and secondly you'd probably be doing something else with your time that left little time for study. Going to a University to study is most peoples' only shot at having the financial independence to devote full time hours to exploring an area they like. While you are 'paying' for your degree, you do so far less meaningfully here than in almost every other country on the globe. Its a remnant of the welfare culture in this country that such an opportunity is affordable for everybody, and you are definitely still benefiting from that, and the opportunities from receiving a degree with very little inconvenience or genuine cost.

On the spoon feeding generalisation - well you'll have to excuse me but so many people I've come across who complain about teaching aren't willing to put the study hours in, so after awhile it becomes a sore topic.

I think a good lecturer is a nice bonus to your study experience and they can really help, but I would never agree with your suggestion that its somehow the fault of teaching that you didn't get a mark you wanted. I'd be very reluctant to believe that had you asked for help and attention and flagged up that you were struggling, your University wouldn't have made a big effort to give you the support you needed.
Reply 46
Original post by Craghyrax
Perhaps, but I only have your word to go on, and since I wasn't in the actual lecture I have no idea whether to believe you or not that it was bad. Its highly subjective. In the past I have enjoyed lectures by some academics that other students in my college/year group have taken a strong dislike to. So its very subjective.

If you don't believe me then the entire post has become irrelevant. Why respond if you don't believe me. Just give me a one liner "gtfo" and there's no need to bash me like you're doing now.

Or is your long post represents a more academically "gtfo" attitude? It seems to me it is.

For all your talk of 'outwitting' your superiors, I don't know how much time you've spent actually reading the theory in question and trying to figure it out for yourself. It seems to me that if you have outwitted your department and do plenty of reading then what are you going a long to lectures for, and why are you so outraged when you clearly don't need them in order to do well and get to grips with your subject?

Wow! Your accusation of the matter is outrages and really insulting. You have expended a whole new direction from my post that even I was quite shock with this revelation. You have somehow, come out with this opinion of yours that I'm doing these very awful things. Have you been spending too much time on reading your articles and journals, making 'independent thinking' on your own that have lead you to this? Or is it just your snobbery as a PhD student or an alumni of Cambridge that made you like this? I bet this would turn your face red now wouldn't it? Why? Because I believe that this will disturb you as a person as much as the bolded part has for me. You're questioning things that you yourself don't even know, and which you've admitted, and to make things worst, you have exaggerated the fact and made an entirely new one.

The bolded part is mainly your accusation and your assumption or from some hypotheses you conjure leading to meaningless and directionless accusations. You've exaggerated the fact so much even I don't know what to say. You've taken a one line of a sentence or even just a word and you turn it in into something extremely negative and towards your own benefit.

As to not wanting to pay for your degree if somebody's not going to teach you brilliantly, well I don't agree that people only go to University to learn more about a subject area. For most people there's an element to which they need a University qualification, or highly desire one, for whichever future path they consider to pursue. I also don't think that if you went home you'd actually do all that reading on your own. Firstly you wouldn't be able to afford all the books and journal subscriptions, and secondly you'd probably be doing something else with your time that left little time for study. Going to a University to study is most peoples' only shot at having the financial independence to devote full time hours to exploring an area they like. While you are 'paying' for your degree, you do so far less meaningfully here than in almost every other country on the globe. Its a remnant of the welfare culture in this country that such an opportunity is affordable for everybody, and you are definitely still benefiting from that, and the opportunities from receiving a degree with very little inconvenience or genuine cost.

Affordable? :confused: Your whole argument has crashed into this one word affordable. In which part of the degree is affordable? I can go on about 'affordable' in terms of time, money, energy, emotions and others as well since I know lots of PhD students will agree on that.

PhD students are arguing whether it's all worth it to suffer from bad supervision, bad support, bad anything where their mental health is at stake. Maybe you are having a rainbow sunny PhD experience but unfortunately, some people aren't.

On the spoon feeding generalisation - well you'll have to excuse me but so many people I've come across who complain about teaching aren't willing to put the study hours in, so after awhile it becomes a sore topic.

Well sorry, that's not my problem, it's yours. All I can say is grow up. Take a pin and burst your bubble.

The funny thing here, I would have the same mentality as you would if it weren't for whatever negative experienced I had last year. Thankfully I grew up and see things differently now.

But to be fair, I can see where you're coming from since I was as well angered by some of my peers who are unwilling to study for the subject matter and re-divert their poor academic performance to the lecturer. But some of these people do have a genuine concern with the way the lecturer is lecturing. Have you ever heard about the Uni-bomber? Have a read about him and his lecturing style.

I think a good lecturer is a nice bonus to your study experience and they can really help, but I would never agree with your suggestion that its somehow the fault of teaching that you didn't get a mark you wanted. I'd be very reluctant to believe that had you asked for help and attention and flagged up that you were struggling, your University wouldn't have made a big effort to give you the support you needed.

Again, your generalization. Lots of students complain about bad lecturers, bad supervisors and action has/should been taken. I have never filed a complain myself but I have seen first hand how they would do it. Departments will take action if necessary. I find this attitude of yours really confusing as a person that has been in Uni for so long and doing a PhD. By now, you should know that this Higher Education is about making money, especially in the UK. If it doesn't charge fees, then it isn't. By saying that, the Departments will take actions if negative comments from the students are being put up against the lecturer. If not, academic performance will decline, then; lecturers will be questioned, HOD's will be hounded by the Deans, Deans will be called by the Rectors to explain their stand and lastly, Rectors will have to face the worst thing that he would want: the media and the people's criticisms.

Got this from my lecturer and some common sense thinking.

Craghyrax, to be honest, when I think about it, I do apologize saying those things to you about the PhD and Cambridge issue. I don't think it's great of me to attack a person on such a personal level. I apologize if I hurt you or anything but what you've expended from my argument is a bit of an exaggeration, one sided ideal view and really something I have never done.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kka25
So...what? You're saying it doesn't matter if the lecturer is bad and the students have to self teach themselves anyway? This is ridiculous and utter garbage. I'm at to uni to learn from people not from books. If that's the case, the there's no need for me to go Uni. Stay at home and study by myself. The books are there to aid me not to teach me. The lecturers are there to teach me.

If I get you right, so if the lecturer is bad, we just self teach our self and we have an advantage later on? I thought like that during my 1st until 3rd year of uni. So I didn't complain much about poor lecturing style. I stopped thinking like that once I found great lectures who give a damn and lecture their topic properly. Not only my understanding improve significantly, I also can go further deep with the topic by myself without the lecture holding my hands. Now you tell me, is that spoon feeding or just plain good teaching?

If you're giving me arguments that good uni students should self teach themselves. Lame. You can't self teach yourself everything. What's the point coming then?

My point here is that saying things like "not being spoon fed" or "expected to explore" is really a poor excuse to defend lecturers who can't teach.

If they are so damn concern about their research and can't teach, then don't teach!
I had the so called brilliant research lecture who can't teach squat. Because of him, my grades suffered and I still can't grasp the basics of the theory. Directly because of that, can't do much with my grad work and was left behind. If I did get him to at least teach well, then I wouldn't be having my current problem at all.

Because they are do "damn" concerned about their research, they know, which things we have to know and can provide us research opportunities, we wouldn't have got otherwise. In addition they have a more interesting job, as they don't spend the whole time of their day teaching basics.
There are enough bad primary teachers, as their are bad University professors, but this hasn't something to do with research or not, but with personality.

Where did I glorified bad teaching? But as a matter of fact good teaching also means to stimulate the student and help him to get over borders. In the perfect university a grade D is also an achievement, so I don't know why you are so angry about getting a B, which would be at my University a very nice grade to have.
Reply 48
Original post by Nathanielle
Because they are do "damn" concerned about their research, they know, which things we have to know and can provide us research opportunities, we wouldn't have got otherwise. In addition they have a more interesting job, as they don't spend the whole time of their day teaching basics.
There are enough bad primary teachers, as their are bad University professors, but this hasn't something to do with research or not, but with personality.

:confused: I have no idea what you're talking about and how you relate that to my post. What are you talking about? How do you relate good research with good teaching? Good research is good for the researches. Although they can use it in their lecture, it doesn't automatically make them a good educator, and in fact, it doesn't mean it can make their lecture even more understandable at best.

Unless you're saying that they are putting the material they are researching on to inspire the student about the course, then that's a different story. But the funny thing here, they would usually put this at the end of the slides and no students are even remotely interested with it when the lecturer touches it.

Where did I glorified bad teaching? But as a matter of fact good teaching also means to stimulate the student and help him to get over borders. In the perfect university a grade D is also an achievement, so I don't know why you are so angry about getting a B, which would be at my University a very nice grade to have.

I agree that a D, although a bit of an exaggeration with the grade, is an achievement with a very good lecturer. I'm talking getting bad grades because of bad lecturing and bad support.
i think there's no escaping the fact that there is some terrible teaching at Universities. I had one lecturer who used to walk into the hall, down the stairs to the lecturn, wouldn't even take his coat off. just start droning on for an hour, and then when his hour was up, snap his notes shut, and leave the room again! I also had some amazing teachers. the problem is that universities employ academic staff on the basis of their research history, not their teaching ability; and even the most brilliant academics can make the more interesting of subjects dull as dishwater. however, i still used to find that the lectures were a useful introduction to the topic, and if i didn't understand there were usually 5 other things on the reading list that would explain it in a number of different ways...just had to find out. i think i only had one teacher who was absolutely useless...i could never understand it, because the text he wrote on the subject was very accessible, but in our classes he was utterly rubbish. had no idea how to guide a debate or to push the subject further, or how to explain something to a student who was clearly confused. but that's not bad for going 5 years of taught education...

I am, however, surprised at the amount of help undergrads get now. My tutorial group can get all their reading from the course webpage, and if it's not there they're told exactly how to find it. how is that teaching them to be resourceful? and the amount of course pack stuff they get is also astonishing - someone has worked very hard to give them at least 500 words of extra information about the issues and debates around the subject both prior to the lecture, and also to the seminar. i know the aim is to develop your analytical skills, but there are going to be some pupils that at the end of this year won't have had to go to the library once...
Reply 50
On bad lecturers. It is a lot worse if it happens in subjects that you cannot go and read and argue points about....in my first year our stats module was taken by 2 different lecturers, with the classes apportioned alphabetically. The one class had a terrible lecturer, and average marks in his class were nearly 20% below the other class. It's hard to see how anything but the lecturer was the cause of that.
Facts
Original post by Friktogurg
Facts

This thread is 11 years old. I will be closing it.

Latest

Trending

Trending