The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mac117
Both, obviously. :wink: Haha, joking.

I go to an international school in Germany, though my mother language is polish. I personally love both German and French, so I don't consider them hard (though I ended up taking German A for native speakers, which can be tougher sometimes...). Some take drama instead of second language, which is what most kids do, but since I can't act at all, I opted for French.

In my school most people do what I do as a subject combo, I'm just doing some things self taugh (additional maths, because we get only two classes of it per week, and even though it's a two year course we have to finish it in a year...).

CIE f'd us over because no course works means that all the grading is done with the exams...

So, private school? Yeah. Am I super smart? Ask me after my mocks when I get the results, haha.

Haha. You seem like a clever guy. I was shocked by the two languages, but it now makes sense since one is your "host country" language. I go to a grammar school so I'm guessing that's why I have no so called "easy subjects" (just look at the exam papers - Leisure and Tourism haha I could get an A* with my eyes closed without any prior revision or knowledge.). Yeah, additional maths is so hard, but here the mark scheme is ridiculously low. We have coursework/control assessment in every subject bar maths/further maths Yippe! :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ♥Samantha♥
Yes my biggest regret is taking GCSE Drama. Turns out I'm not good at non-academic subjects

Same with the crappy Design and Technology subject.I wish D&T death(thats my worst subject)
~#Academicia4theWin
#SorrynotsorryCreativepeople
Original post by Desultory
Haha. You seem like a clever guy. I was shocked by the two languages, but it now makes sense since one is your "host country" language. I go to a grammar school so I'm guessing that's why I have no so called "easy subjects" (just look at the exam papers - Leisure and Tourism haha I could get an A* with my eyes closed without any prior revision or knowledge.). Yeah, additional maths is so hard, but here the mark scheme is ridiculously low. We have coursework/control assessment in every subject bar maths/further maths Yippe! :wink:

Haha thank you.

To be honest I wanted to take a fourth language but my school didn't allow me to self-teach myself Spanish (with some help of the Spanish teacher) - bummer. They didn't allow me to self-teach myself triple science either. Too risky apparently.. -__-

Is it? For additional maths (the CIE board) I need 96% to get an A* and it's just crazy. Funny thing is, you need only 70% for an A... So far I've been scoring 100's and mid 90s, but I'm sure I'll mess up on my mock. It's just so much to remember, and geography case studies are just insane.
Original post by Mac117
Haha thank you.

To be honest I wanted to take a fourth language but my school didn't allow me to self-teach myself Spanish (with some help of the Spanish teacher) - bummer. They didn't allow me to self-teach myself triple science either. Too risky apparently.. -__-

Is it? For additional maths (the CIE board) I need 96% to get an A* and it's just crazy. Funny thing is, you need only 70% for an A... So far I've been scoring 100's and mid 90s, but I'm sure I'll mess up on my mock. It's just so much to remember, and geography case studies are just insane.

Wow! Four languages?? Are you a future Oxbridge graduate or something? In that case I'll see you there :wink: Geography case studies are really hard, but luckily the SDME (Sustainable Decision Making Exercise) paper s on rivers and coasts, so at least it does get easier. What are your a-level option just for interest?
I really regret taking history... I dont know what i would take instead tho... The content is pretty interesting but its just the anylising cartoons and stuff that i find sooooo hard and too much like in english lit!
I hate taking english lang and lit but its compulsary in our school...
Original post by Desultory
Wow! Four languages?? Are you a future Oxbridge graduate or something? In that case I'll see you there :wink: Geography case studies are really hard, but luckily the SDME (Sustainable Decision Making Exercise) paper s on rivers and coasts, so at least it does get easier. What are your a-level option just for interest?

Yeah well I speak four languages already (the three I take at school + my mother tongue, Polish), but since I love languages and sciences, I want to do as many as I can at school. See you there then, because I'd love to read medicine in Oxford - 2018 applicant here :wink:

I'm actually not going to do A-levels, as I opted for the International Baccalaureate instead. I'll be taking HL maths, chemistry, biology, English A Lang&Lit as well as SL German B and Psychology/Geography. I'm also excited about the summer course I'm taking this year at Oxford at St. Catz, so I'm looking forward to that as well ^^

What about you?
Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
I am choosing what to do atm, this is good to see what is good and what is rubbish :bhangra:
Yeah actually I regret taking 2 of my options -_-
-Media Studies(it is the worst thing ever)
-Humanities(its so bad)

Technically I didnt choose to do media as it was just my reserve but then my Product Design option didnt fit into my subject blocks so I was made to take it. :frown:
Literally one of the biggest mistakes in my life was not picking art at GCSE and subsequently at A Level because it always clashed with History/Latin. My parents would never have permitted me to substitute it for another subject. Now I can never be an architect and i'm going to regret that forever.
Original post by Sir Lagsalot
Engineering, all our teacher did was show us karate moves for 2 years

Did both History and geography, stupid asf.
I really regret taking geography it's just too difficult - I'm crap at it! Most of my options are quite academic so I have to do a lot of written work (not a lot of more creative subjects e.g art, tech) and I really wish I'd chosen at least one fun subject like that. One of the subjects I wanted to take was childcare because I'd like to be a primary school teacher but my mum talked me out of it because it's a 'soft subject' and wouldn't look good on my CV but now I wish I'd taken it and it's too late 😢
I regret choosing Art and Drama, as I probably will get 2 B's in them.
I should have taken Latin and Geography, or Latin and RS, as they are so much less time consuming than Art and Drama and actually would kind of help me in life.

The annoying thing is that I wanted to do something creative when I picked my GCSE's, but now it's not that at all as I've figured out I'm not that great at the creative subjects :redface:
Original post by george_c00per
I regret choosing Art and Drama, as I probably will get 2 B's in them.
I should have taken Latin and Geography, or Latin and RS, as they are so much less time consuming than Art and Drama and actually would kind of help me in life.

The annoying thing is that I wanted to do something creative when I picked my GCSE's, but now it's not that at all as I've figured out I'm not that great at the creative subjects :redface:

You don't want to do Latin. Really. It was a nightmare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
You don't want to do Latin. Really. It was a nightmare.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do 2 languages though, and I am carrying both on for A Level. A lot of my friends do it and say that the coursework is bad, but I'd rather do coursework than stress out about performances then have to write about how I moved my arms to create the look of my character. :frown:

I need to stop thinking about it though, I am doing the final exams in both of them in less than a month and I can't change the past lmao
regret geog, magee hates me. regret drama- too much effort
Drama.
Original post by george_c00per
I do 2 languages though, and I am carrying both on for A Level. A lot of my friends do it and say that the coursework is bad, but I'd rather do coursework than stress out about performances then have to write about how I moved my arms to create the look of my character. :frown:

I need to stop thinking about it though, I am doing the final exams in both of them in less than a month and I can't change the past lmao

For verbs, we had to learn: pluperfect, perfect, imperfect, present, imperfect future and future perfect for several different types of verbs and irregular ones.
We had to learn four different cases for adjectives, and all the different types of nouns.
We then had to learn about sentence structure and how to translate text from Latin to English and from English to Latin. And learn 2000 words in both English and Latin.

Then we had to do literature. You know what you have to do for English Lit? It's that but in Latin.

Seriously, you dodged a bullet. It was so much work and it was so hard. And it's utterly useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1538
I regret Drama. Don't ask why :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 1539
Lol just right now I realised that there are so many people regretting drama as well :colonhash:

Latest