The Student Room Group

What GCSE subjects to take?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by >Username<
May I ask when you did your GCSE's? Because the specification changes... I'm not specifically saying someone shouldn't choose French. I'm saying that it's a massive work load and you don't actually learn French you just memorise stuff.

I took my GCSEs in May and our year was the first year of the new syllabus. Of course you learn French otherwise you would never know what to write in an exam. May I ask, have you done your A-levels because Fench for that is huge workload. For GCSE I was on AQA and found I was give work but I wouldn't say it was a massive workload.
Reply 41
well today we were discussing about are future jobs by taking a quiz and it had some interesting jobs that I can do when I get older (coffin designer...)
Original post by jojo10834
well today we were discussing about are future jobs by taking a quiz and it had some interesting jobs that I can do when I get older (coffin designer...)

tbh GCSEs mean diddly sqaut in terms of employment. As long as you have maths English Language and 3 others grades A*-C you'll be fine
Reply 43
Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad
tbh GCSEs mean diddly sqaut in terms of employment. As long as you have maths English Language and 3 others grades A*-C you'll be fine

ok thanks
Reply 44
I took Drama, Art, Geography and German :smile:

Drama is good, depending on the teacher, if you enjoy it now GCSE will be dead fun :smile: I've already have one exam in it and got A* and I have my next one at the end of this month, its all good, you have some coursework based on the exams, but its easy just remember why you did it, what effect you wanted it to have, what you could of done and so forth, thats all they really want.

Art is fun .. and erm .. yeah... thats about it, LOOOAAADDDSSS of work though, and it has to be something you are sure you will like because i took it and thought it would be easy, but I have to stay after school on a thursday just to catch up on small tasks, but overall its not too stressful.

Geography is good, you have field trips and most of the topics go together and the exams are pretty easy and you will enjoy it.

German .. ah, its okay. German is kinda easy, our teacher helps us alot. I have my first exam next tuesday, its speaking. I need to learn it (I totally forgot) its simple once you have got the hang of it and taking a language makes you look impressive as everyone knows its hard

Good luck :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Smudge96
I took Drama, Art, Geography and German :smile:

Drama is good, depending on the teacher, if you enjoy it now GCSE will be dead fun :smile: I've already have one exam in it and got A* and I have my next one at the end of this month, its all good, you have some coursework based on the exams, but its easy just remember why you did it, what effect you wanted it to have, what you could of done and so forth, thats all they really want.

Art is fun .. and erm .. yeah... thats about it, LOOOAAADDDSSS of work though, and it has to be something you are sure you will like because i took it and thought it would be easy, but I have to stay after school on a thursday just to catch up on small tasks, but overall its not too stressful.

Geography is good, you have field trips and most of the topics go together and the exams are pretty easy and you will enjoy it.

German .. ah, its okay. German is kinda easy, our teacher helps us alot. I have my first exam next tuesday, its speaking. I need to learn it (I totally forgot) its simple once you have got the hang of it and taking a language makes you look impressive as everyone knows its hard

Good luck :smile:

Thank you well I choose in a month and I know what subjects i can pick i havn't choosen all 6 yet but this is what I have so far I-Media Media Studies Graphics and then possibly history and maybe ICT BETEC
Reply 46
When I chose my GCSE subjects four years ago there were eight core subjects and we had four options. As far as I know, there isn't a set subject list and it's really up to your school to decide what subjects they offer. What I would suggest is to ask for advice and pick subjects that interest you and ones that will lead to opportunities for post-16. Unfortuately my school offered very little advice other than a talk from each of the subject teachers. Though I would recommend History and perhaps a language depending on how relevant it will be (subjects such as Maths, English, etc. were compulsory). Good luck. :smile:
Try to pick academic GCSEs, not BTECs and not subjects like Cooking or Child dev!
Then you can go into A levels from your GCSEs, and go to any uni you want. Doing BTECs just limits yourself
(edited 12 years ago)
We just had a choice of 4 options.

Mandatory:
Triple Science (Top set only)
English Lang & Lit
Citizenship & R.E.
BTEC P.E. (Like, 100 hours of exercising in year 10 and 11 gets you a BTEC award or something)

Options I took:
Graphics (Regret, more about making graphic products than actual graphic design)
History
ICT (Easy as wee)
Business
As much as i loved my subjects- i did wish i took easier subjects sometimes!
GCSE ART isn't that easy- well it is if you plan your time well- and are an awesome artist- but for people like me i had to redo the pieces again, and again. Mind you- the satisfaction you feel when you receive your GCSE grades is awesome!
I found history relatively easy- it was very interesting! I didn't do geography!
And RE was the nicest exam (in my school) ever.
I heard Media studies was easy?
Haven't a clue reall though. Good luck!
Reply 50
Original post by EloquentlySpoken
I also Did Music&Food
they are both really fun
Though id reccomend Food over Music xD
I did Spanish aswell, a language is essential :P

I wish my school offered German, I would've much rather preferred speaking German than lousy French, but O'well no more French speaking in my life : )
Reply 51
i did.
chemistry bio and physics and and art.
if i could go back i would choose geography and history as well. and maybe economics.
Reply 52
I'm doing:
Maths
Further maths
English language
English literature
Separate sciences
French
Italian
RS
History
The ones in italic were options - if english lit is an option for you, definitely go for it. Your teacher will choose the books you study, but I got Romeo and Juliet, and Pride and Prejudice. It's really good, especially when you are in a class with people who want to be there!
History - I loved it last year, but I've found the course I'm doing a little boring. I don't regret taking it, but it feels like we're just being trained to pass an exam, not to actually learn anything interesting.
Separate sciences - Anyone could take it at our school. I'm really glad I took it over double, as going into more detail for the separate science stuff helps me understand the combined science stuff better.
French and Italian - You had to take one foreign language, and with the boards my school takes, you just need to revise hard and you can get an A* - just up to learning your orals and written well enough!
Hope that helped a little :smile:
Reply 53
well today i got the list of options that have been separated into 6 blocks and we can only choose one from each but one of the subjects i want to do is ICT BTEC 1st Diploma but it clashes with french and textiles
Original post by jojo10834
well today i got the list of options that have been separated into 6 blocks and we can only choose one from each but one of the subjects i want to do is ICT BTEC 1st Diploma but it clashes with french and textiles

If I were you, I'd choose French which may be slightly biased considering that I did French but with IT, alot of the coursework got messed up and very few people got a decent grade. I'm not sure about textiles, my friend did it as a GCSE in one year and it seemed like alot of work. With French you develop a knowledge of the language and is thoroughly useful (plus we got to go Paris for a week :biggrin:). Also, in terms of careers, a language is valued highly and is versatile. But that's just my opinion so feel free to disagree with me.
Reply 55
thanks but at my school we were given pathways i got the yellow one that said i had to do ict btec but for some people at my school who got yellow that has ruined what they wanna be
Reply 56
i have a vague idea what i wanna all of them apart from one involve computers ICT BETC 1st diplma I-Media BETC Computing and Graphics then maybe business studies as i'm thinking about bieng a web designer :biggrin:
Reply 57
changed mind again and this is my final decision
History
ICT BETC 1st Diploma
ICT BETC
Graphics

I could have chosen 2 more but ICT BETC 1st Diploma takes up 2 blocks
Reply 58
sorry about all the post's but HISTORY OR COMPUTING
Reply 59
ok no joke this is my final choice

Graphic's