The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE-a good place to go to?

Hi,
I am seriously considering taking my place at LSE for BA History. I know i have asked several of you already about this kind of thing but can i ask a few questions in general to anyone who might know the answers?
What is the price of alcohol there?
What kind of internationals are there? Americans, Asians etc.. regarding this, what is the integration like between nationalities?
A lot of people have told me the social life within college is poo, is this true or is the union etc actually any good?
Any views on the International History dept would be welcomed
The gym: is it a good one or a bit run down?
Thank you
xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I assume you have not visited the place. If you are considering the place, I strongly advise that you visit it. If you have not yet arranged an open day, then contact the department for a visit - a private one if needs be. You are going to spend some of the most important years of your life at university, and in the end only you can make up your mind. :smile:

J.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
hornblower
I assume you have not visited the place. If you are considering the place, I strongly advise that you visit it. If you have not yet arranged an open day, then contact the department for a visit - a private one if needs be. You are going to spend some of the most important years of your life at university, and in the end only you can make up your mind. :smile:

J.

I am well aware that i should visit it first, i'm not that stupid. In fact, i have gone there (on Friday) and I liked what i saw (i did an LSE Explorer thing). However, i was asking these questions because one open day does not constitute an informed opinion. I am well aware that on open days, universities put their best face on, so to speak, to make you want to go there. I thought some opinions of current/past students would be useful, though not instrumental, in making my decision. The open day i have been given is probably going to be too late for my UCAS decision deadline, it's the 21st April,ages away. So, if there are any past/current students that can help me, please help :-)
I have been to LSE like over 30 times now and I have to say, it's the best uni I have been to so far in London. I have an interview with UCL tomorrow though so I can't wait to see what that's like.
Reply 4
claire1985
I am well aware that i should visit it first, i'm not that stupid. In fact, i have gone there (on Friday) and I liked what i saw (i did an LSE Explorer thing). However, i was asking these questions because one open day does not constitute an informed opinion. I am well aware that on open days, universities put their best face on, so to speak, to make you want to go there. I thought some opinions of current/past students would be useful, though not instrumental, in making my decision. The open day i have been given is probably going to be too late for my UCAS decision deadline, it's the 21st April,ages away. So, if there are any past/current students that can help me, please help :-)

theres no need to be like that! hornblower was helping n u give what i think is quite a cocky reply! tut at u! at the end of the day other people's opinions on the uni shouldnt influence ur decision...what suits them may not u. just do whatevers gonna make u happy.

n ps u can arrange to visit them on a day which isnt an official open day.
Reply 5
babyboo
theres no need to be like that! hornblower was helping n u give what i think is quite a cocky reply! tut at u! at the end of the day other people's opinions on the uni shouldnt influence ur decision...what suits them may not u. just do whatevers gonna make u happy.

n ps u can arrange to visit them on a day which isnt an official open day.

It wasn't supposed to be cocky, and I fail to see how it was cocky, to be honest. I was just saying I have already seen it and i found the suggestion i'd pick a university on the basis of other people's opinions a bit absurd. However, i'm sure it was well meaning advice, it's just i've heard it all before.
1. What is the price of alcohol there?

Depends what you're drinking and where you're drinking it. A pint of stella in the Tuns is normally £1.80 though, more if you're in the Beaver's Retreat and more again if you're in the Columbia bar or in the George IV (this pub is actually owned by LSE but is leased to the massive pub chain).

2. What kind of internationals are there? Americans, Asians etc.. regarding this, what is the integration like between nationalities?

You name the country, there'll be someone from there at LSE. Quite a high percentage of Americans and Asians though, especially American general course students. Most of the time there's a lot of integration between nationalities, although general course students do tend to keep themselves to themselves sometimes.

3. A lot of people have told me the social life within college is poo, is this true or is the union etc actually any good?

From my experience, it isn't brilliant. However, it isn't that bad, just a little repetitive and also far too small. It's worth joining some societies (AIESEC is one of the best to join for a social life, even though it looks like a business orientated society) though. The union itself is pretty bad though, with one bar (well, it's more like a dodgy estate pub), a cafe/club area (friday nights it's used as a club) and a branch of STA travel. To be honest, in my opinion the union is too political and looks to wider things, at the expense of LSE students (personally, I do not feel represented by my union).

For a social life, you have to make it yourself by joining societies, meeting people from your course etc. Whatever happens, don't let yourself join a clique from people in your hall- you'll miss out on loads that LSE and London have to offer.

4. The gym: is it a good one or a bit run down?

It's OK- sure, it could be better but at the price it's not bad.

As for the international history dept, sorry but I can't help you out here.
Reply 7
MuvverRussia,
Thanks for the help, much appreciated :-). I will definately join the History Soc and the Netball team, maybe a few other sports teams like Rowing or Rowing, something like that. I hope that would improve the social life for me. Not being much of a clubber, i don't really mind the lack of clubs or anything. About the union being too political, i am quite politically minded myself but I would class myself more right wing (moderately, anyway) and traditionally LSE is a lefty so I think i may have the same problems of under-representation from the union, but i'm sure there are political associations i could join whilst i'm there.
Is it safe to say that LSE is what you make it, if you hibernate in your room people won't come looking for you but if you join in then you should have a good time?
Thanks for your help anyway,
Claire
xx
Reply 8
I don’t see that LSE is much different from any other unis in most respects. There are some Tories (though you’ll find they are a minority in pretty much every uni); people who “integrate”, people who don’t; people who go clubbing; people who work all the time. It’s a mix like anywhere else.

The only thing that does truly mark it out from other unis is just how international it is. So if you (plural you, not specifically directed at claire)care about how many white English people there are at lse, then don’t come here. If you care that there are some people who hang out with people of their own race, then don’t come here. If you are not “liberal”, then you wouldn’t enjoy it here.
Reply 9
lyd
I don’t see that LSE is much different from any other unis in most respects. There are some Tories (though you’ll find they are a minority in pretty much every uni); people who “integrate”, people who don’t; people who go clubbing; people who work all the time. It’s a mix like anywhere else.

The only thing that does truly mark it out from other unis is just how international it is. So if you (plural you, not specifically directed at claire)care about how many white English people there are at lse, then don’t come here. If you care that there are some people who hang out with people of their own race, then don’t come here. If you are not “liberal”, then you wouldn’t enjoy it here.

Yes, well I would love to meet some internationals, i think it'd be fun being on a course with them. For a subject like History i think it is useful to have other insights instead of the white, male, british, Whig line. I was just worried about the internationals not integrating very well on the whole. Whilst i can understand why sometimes people stick together in nationality groups (i would do it if i went abroad), I'd just like to be friends with them that's all :-). I sometimes agree with what lefties say, so i might find on a few issues i might agree with the union stance but otherwise i'll happily keep out of it!
lyd

LSE is very different from most other unis, including most other elite unis, especially in the UK. The focus on a broad social science approach (even towards subjects that in other colleges would be classed as arts, eg history or law) the international student body, the international teaching body, the energy, the political diversity (the School has had a major impact on all wings of the political spectrum), the constant involvement with the outside world, the critical, restless attitude, the obsession with debate and challenging conventional wisdom, all these make for a really different experience (and I make this judgement on the basis of my student experiences at several big time universities).

If you want three quiet years in a chocolate box environment go for Oxford, or Bristol or Sussex or Edinburgh, or St. Andrews. LSE isn't like that: it doesn't take prisoners, but it will give you one hell of an education, via tutors who are fully involved with the real world while maintaining the highest standards of scholarship, alongside the best young social scientists from all over the globe. Don't expect ease or comfort, but remember it's worth it: it's different, there's nowhere quite like it, and for the social sciences there's nowhere quite as good.
Reply 11
I was replying to claire’s queries about the social side of LSE, its student body, whether she will fit in with the other kids etc.

But in any case, to paint lse as you did is a bit of an exaggeration. I was a law student and most of the people I met were either fellow law students, econ or acc and finance students, most of whom didn’t bother to engage in the “critical, polemical atmosphere” of the lse. they just aim to work in the City (i.e. like most of the students in other top unis). That was my experience. A history, sociology or philo student might have an entirely different experience within their department, but they are outnumbered by the politically-apathetic. the lse student body as a whole is certainly not the activist body it perhaps once was in the 70s.
lyd
I was replying to claire’s queries about the social side of LSE, its student body, whether she will fit in with the other kids etc.

But in any case, to paint lse as you did is a bit of an exaggeration. I was a law student and most of the people I met were either fellow law students, econ or acc and finance students, most of whom didn’t bother to engage in the “critical, polemical atmosphere” of the lse. they just aim to work in the City (i.e. like most of the students in other top unis). That was my experience. A history, sociology or philo student might have an entirely different experience within their department, but they are outnumbered by the politically-apathetic. the lse student body as a whole is certainly not the activist body it perhaps once was in the 70s.

This is your personal experience of LSE, I've given mine, based on experience of several unis (I'm an LSE postgrad). Do you really think thata leading campus university will provide the same kind of elite experience that LSE does?-Oxbridge for instance does 24 weeks a year, not 30, and is focused on tiny colleges in two quiet towns that frankly do very little real social science. Their students are much less international and postgraduate than LSE, also, like most universities. I respect your own experience, but I really cannot see how LSE is typical, on the basis of my own undergraduate and post-grad experiences.
Reply 13
W.A.S Hewins : Well Said.
Reply 14
W.A.S Hewins
This is your personal experience of LSE, I've given mine, based on experience of several unis (I'm an LSE postgrad). Do you really think thata leading campus university will provide the same kind of elite experience that LSE does?-Oxbridge for instance does 24 weeks a year, not 30, and is focused on tiny colleges in two quiet towns that frankly do very little real social science. Their students are much less international and postgraduate than LSE, also, like most universities. I respect your own experience, but I really cannot see how LSE is typical, on the basis of my own undergraduate and post-grad experiences.

Very little 'real' social science? I'm curious about this, I take you know of Nuffield College, Oxf? There's Ox, Politics and its Philosophy dept. At Cam, there's the Econ department as well as the Judge Institute. Now, this is based only on my very limited knoweldge, but I think it's very fair to say that Oxbridge (at least combined) have some of the best socialsci faculties in Europe, at the VERY least. It's certainly up there alongside the LSE.

Also, Camb. has 40% grad students, Oxford will aprroach that figure very soon under the direction of its new Vice Chancellor-thereafter I'd anticipate a further increase.
Reply 15
claire1985
Hi,
I am seriously considering taking my place at LSE for BA History. I know i have asked several of you already about this kind of thing but can i ask a few questions in general to anyone who might know the answers?
What is the price of alcohol there?
What kind of internationals are there? Americans, Asians etc.. regarding this, what is the integration like between nationalities?
A lot of people have told me the social life within college is poo, is this true or is the union etc actually any good?
Any views on the International History dept would be welcomed
The gym: is it a good one or a bit run down?
Thank you
xxx

Don't go to LSE!!!!!! As I understand it, J.S went there, and well....look how he turned out!! :tongue:
Reply 16
The course looks fantastic and studying history in an international enviroment is very intellectually stimulating. Bit of a pricey place though.
Reply 17
kildare
The course looks fantastic and studying history in an international enviroment is very intellectually stimulating. Bit of a pricey place though.

A bit pricey yes, but it's going to work out no more than Durham. Durham's halls are more expensive and the living out price would only be a bit more in London because i'd be sharing with my bf. The course does look good no they've updated it a bit,i think they must have got another lecturer.
claire1985
A bit pricey yes, but it's going to work out no more than Durham. Durham's halls are more expensive and the living out price would only be a bit more in London because i'd be sharing with my bf. The course does look good no they've updated it a bit,i think they must have got another lecturer.

You can't seriously compare Durham with LSE. A lot of the private schools continue to have this private obsession with Durham, and this is picked up by a lot of privately educated BBC/Canary Wharf hacks, so we hear a lot about it in the UK but even its league table performances are nothing special(it's in the twenties in both the Guardian and the FT tables, I understand). It's not a rubbish institution, but has no real international rep, no famous academics and limited impact on the broad cosmos of scholarship.

LSE invented the social sciences in the UK (Oxford has only recently appointed its first real sociology professor, and PPE is a poor imitation of the old and discarded LSE B.Sc Econ in general social sciences). It has produced and housed masses of world leaders and Nobel people, it invented the welfare state and later the 'Thatcherite' reaction against it, and its academics are in the world's press some 300 times a month. What has Durham got to put up against that: the fact that it is full of nice people who won't steal the spoons?
J.S.
Very little 'real' social science? I'm curious about this, I take you know of Nuffield College, Oxf? There's Ox, Politics and its Philosophy dept. At Cam, there's the Econ department as well as the Judge Institute. Now, this is based only on my very limited knoweldge, but I think it's very fair to say that Oxbridge (at least combined) have some of the best socialsci faculties in Europe, at the VERY least. It's certainly up there alongside the LSE.

Also, Camb. has 40% grad students, Oxford will aprroach that figure very soon under the direction of its new Vice Chancellor-thereafter I'd anticipate a further increase.

Point taken about the grad students-but this is a fairly recent development-they're trying to increase their income because you can charge postgrads what you like-but LSE has been heavily postgrad for much longer and so it affects the whole tone of the institution. As for the social sciences, Oxbridge has come to them relatively late, after disparaging them in the beginning (with the exception of economics and maybe social philosophy). It's partly the genetics of the universities themselves-tiny mediaeval/renaissance quadrangles, in the provinces, are not the best places to study complex modern societies, although they may be ideal for studying Chaucer.

Until the 1960s LSE was the only college in the UK that studied social sciences in any breadth or depth, which gave it a tremendous head start, then the subject area developed in the 'new' plateglass universities, then in the polys, and then everybody else, in the meantime Oxbridge was still holding its nose while typically sneaking in social science subjects under fancy cover names (ie PPE)-and people like Anthony Giddens (an LSE boy) were struggling to win acceptance for their work at Cambridge.

Yes, Oxbridge does reputable social science, and it is able to buy good people (a lot of them from LSE-ie Dahrendorf and Halsey at Oxford, Sen and Giddens at Cambridge etc), but the heart of those universities is still sceptical about the project (with the exception of economics), and those laid back, 'heritage' colleges and institutes really are not the best environments for that sort of work-social science demands the sort of intensity that LSE generates. Of course Oxbridge will always do well in British league tables (half of Fleet Street is still staffed via Oxbridge networking), but for social sciences it's not where the action is-outside of LSE in the UK you should look to Essex or Sussex, or for that matter, Manchester. Sorry if I sound terribly opinionated-these are heavily subjective things...

Latest

Trending

Trending