The Student Room Group

Why are people scared of chavs?

Why are so many people scared/intimidated by chavs? I guess intimidated is a better term!
For example, if there is a group of chavs sitting around on the side on the street - many people would cross the road or do their best to avoid them.
I can understand it at night or in a closed off area, but not in town during the day etc!

As it seems what chavs want, is for you to feel intimidated.

Just wondering! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

because they've had bad experiences with people dressed & behaving in the same way in the past. They often are trouble too, in my experience.
(edited 12 years ago)
I think people cross the road to avoid the hurl of abuse chavs seem to love giving anyone who passes by, even during the daytime, would you believe it...those fearless creatures.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Because when they are together they all think they are unstoppable, at least where I live and if you looked at them, they would most likely all start on you which is pathetic imo

Also a lot around here probably have some sort of weapon on them which makes it even more important to not agitate them as no doubt they are so ****ing pathetic, they would put you in hospital for looking at them funny.
I cross the road because I don't want to be bullied by a group of people who have nothing better to do, than pick on strangers
Reply 5
I'm sure most people are not scared of them, but rather dislike them.
Reply 6
chavs cross the road when they see me.
Reply 7
Most people aren't bothered by chavs, this forum doesn't have a normal demographic though.
Reply 8
Because i've been mugged 4 times. Twice with a very large knife, once with a meatcleaver and another time with a gun that ended up not being loaded. Been chased down streets by large gangs (who from previous experience wouldn't hesitate to kick the **** out of someone for no reason), had dogs sent after me, had people follow me home and watch from outside and had stuff chucked at me countless times.

It's best to just avoid people who you think can cause trouble rather than pretending to man up and walking through/past them. All it takes lol 'ha look at his shoes' or 'oi did you just look at me?' .. or 'what you smiling at?' and you've got a knife to your throat.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm not scared of them, I just wish they didn't exist.
Reply 10
Original post by Tommyjw
Because i've been mugged 4 times. Twice with a larger knife and once with a meatcleaver. (Another time with a gun that ended up not being loaded) . Been chased down streets by large gangs, had dogs sent after me, had people follow me home and watch from outside and had stuff chucked at me several times.

It's best to just avoid people who you think can cause trouble rather than pretending to man up and walk past them. All it takes lol 'ha look at his shoes' or 'oi did you just look at me?' .. or 'what you smiling at?' and you've got a knife to your throat.

That's disgusting, i feel for you. Where do you live?
In that case, i completely understand to be honest.
There's a few times chavs have said "what you looking at" to me, unfortunately i didn't feel up to reacting - so i just walked on by.

Times like that i wish i was 6'5 and built like this dude :

Reply 11
Original post by Moontoon
That's disgusting, i feel for you. Where do you live?
In that case, i completely understand to be honest.
There's a few times chavs have said "what you looking at" to me, unfortunately i didn't feel up to reacting - so i just walked on by.

Times like that i wish i was 6'5 and built like this dude :

Just a bad part of Bristol. Sucks i have go to through some worse parts to go to family etc :P. And i have a habit of not taking my own advice really and walking through the areas in middle of night after going out rather than a taxi etc, but meh.

Then again, guess these aren't your typical 'chavs'. Do get the usual 13 year old ones drinking 50p cider bottles on the street corner that try and hurl abuse but fail too.
Reply 12
Original post by Tommyjw
Just a bad part of Bristol. Sucks i have go to through some worse parts to go to family etc :P. And i have a habit of not taking my own advice really and walking through the areas in middle of night after going out rather than a taxi etc, but meh.

Then again, guess these aren't your typical 'chavs'. Do get the usual 13 year old ones drinking 50p cider bottles on the street corner that try and hurl abuse but fail too.

Yeah that's awful mate.
The annoying thing is, get one of these chavs on his/her own away from their gang and their nothing.
Suddenly they loose all confidence and don't say a word.
People aren't scared of chavs. They just avoid talking to them or being around them because chavs tend to be uneducated, violent and morally bankrupt. Also there's usually a high chance they're BNP supporters/racists so non-whites must take extra precaution.
I think it's sad that people who dress a certain way and hang out in certain places get tarred with the same brush a lot of the time.
It may not occur to some people that the local 'chavs' may dress in that way because it's cheap and practical; may hang out on streets at night because there isn't much else for them to do.
I get that a chavs often do cause trouble, and if you feel intmidated by them then faaaair enough - cross the road and save yourself the agro haha. I just think it's unfortunate that society's got to that point where these people are so often avoided and judged
Reply 15
I'm not scared of them, but where I grew up, as a non-obese, not completely hideous woman I couldn't even walk to the corner shop at the end of my road without hearing a whole load of disgusting personal/sexist comments. Sometimes from adults, which is kind of intimidating, but more often than not from kids who looked about 12-14. Pathetic, and something I'd prefer not to encounter.
Reply 16
Original post by Tommyjw
Just a bad part of Bristol. Sucks i have go to through some worse parts to go to family etc :P. And i have a habit of not taking my own advice really and walking through the areas in middle of night after going out rather than a taxi

bit of a badman.
Original post by Moontoon
Why are so many people scared/intimidated by chavs? I guess intimidated is a better term!
For example, if there is a group of chavs sitting around on the side on the street - many people would cross the road or do their best to avoid them.
I can understand it at night or in a closed off area, but not in town during the day etc!

As it seems what chavs want, is for you to feel intimidated.

Just wondering! :smile:

I'm not intimidated or scared of them, I Just dislike racist scruffbags.
Because I dress like a chav and I am ****ing hard as nails so that whole image has become quite intimidating as a result
Reply 19
Original post by sammy-lou
I think it's sad that people who dress a certain way and hang out in certain places get tarred with the same brush a lot of the time.
It may not occur to some people that the local 'chavs' may dress in that way because it's cheap and practical; may hang out on streets at night because there isn't much else for them to do.
I get that a chavs often do cause trouble, and if you feel intmidated by them then faaaair enough - cross the road and save yourself the agro haha. I just think it's unfortunate that society's got to that point where these people are so often avoided and judged

While I get where you're coming from (as I metalhead I sometimes get judged when I'm back in a rural area where they're not used to seeing people who dress the way I do), I think there's often more to it than that. My hometown is pretty much "chav central" for the area, and no-one seems to act any differently when they see people dressed in "chav" clothing just going about their business- it's more when they're hanging out in groups, drinking and loudly giving grief to passersby that people take steps to avoid them. Also, while it's true that there's nothing to do in the evenings back home, I never felt the need to hang around on the streets drinking. It's a choice, not something they're forced to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending