The Student Room Group

Urgh, rude people on the bus.

Gah.
I was on the bus home this afternoon, sat there minding my own business, as you do. Tiring day at work (I have orthopaedic problems, so my feet hurt a hell of a lot by the end of the day), cold and dark etc, just wanted to get home. At the front of the bus (I was sat upstairs), there was a woman with two young boys (aged about 7).

Partway through the journey, some guys got onto the bus, I think they were about 18. Tbh, I wasn't paying that much attention. So, they come upstairs, all 4/5 of them come sit at the back, like the "cool" people do. :cool: (Meh, not bothered, personally.) All is well, until the guys start having their conversations.

I'm not bothered about the conversation topic etc, but what did bug me was their habit of littering their sentences (fairy liberally), with swear words - as in, every third word.
So, me with my faith in people, I turned round, and (politely) asked them to please tone down the swearing, as there were children on the bus - hardly an unreasonable request, imo.
One of them said, "OK", then, as I turned back round, added "toad". :rolleyes: (Like I care that much about what some chavvy schoolboys think of me.) I decided to rise above it and ignore them... no point getting bogged down in an argument with people like that.
A couple of minutes later, conversation is back to being littered with effs and whatever. Cba after that; I decided if they hadn't listened to me the first time, asking them again wasn't going to make a difference.

The reason I asked them to tone it down in the first place, is that in my experience, most people are perfectly happy to oblige sensible requests if you ask them nicely. (One woman I know of, got so annoyed with a group of teenage boys peppering their conversation on a long train journey with swear words, that she eventually turned round and asked them to stop it. Response: a red face, "sorry misses", and clean conversation from then on.) Obviously, didn't happen in this case. :rolleyes:

Argh, it just annoys me so much. :mad: It's not even that I'm straight-laced and prudish or whatever (I'm really not) - I just don't like it when people use foul language in earshot of children. And I hardly think that asking them to tone down the swearing, on a silent bus, with young children around, was that unreasonable a request. Grrr. :mad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It was a nice thing for you to do - to ask them to stop swearing in consideration of he kids on the bus. I'm surprised the mother herself didn't do it. She must have been grateful to you though.

There's not much you can do sometimes, some people are just really obnoxious.
A true Brit, sit back and watch as people make fools of themselves. I would have done the same thing. I doubt there would have been much more you could have done.
Reply 3
For a moment I thought this thread was going to be about racist people on another form of public transport.

Stupid chavs, just ignore them. They'll never learn
Reply 4
As soon as I read the bit about a swear word every couple of words I knew this was Scotland. Aberdeen is terrible for it, minks tend to drag out the prononcioution of "F*ckin'" especially, probably as they can't form a sentence without pausing to remember how to speak english.
Original post by Shuvel
As soon as I read the bit about a swear word every couple of words I knew this was Scotland. Aberdeen is terrible for it, minks tend to drag out the prononcioution of "F*ckin'" especially, probably as they can't form a sentence without pausing to remember how to speak english.

Ah... tis actually Croydon, not Scotland. :redface: Haven't got around to changing my location (still). Though I did go to uni in Aberdeen... and I do know exactly what you mean! :tongue:

*goes to change my location. :redface: :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Iswear a lot, scotland, nation of tourette's sufferers. Or so if would seem sometimes.
In all honesty, sheltering a child from swear words is redundant.
I was once on the bus in town, heard this and it really got to me too. It actually sounds ridiculous hearing the F word every 1.5 seconds on public transport, but what can you do?
Don't let it bother you. Swear words literally don't do any harm to anybody. People getting pissy over them is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen tbh.
Reply 10
Original post by treasureBelle
Gah.
I was on the bus home this afternoon, sat there minding my own business, as you do. Tiring day at work (I have orthopaedic problems, so my feet hurt a hell of a lot by the end of the day), cold and dark etc, just wanted to get home. At the front of the bus (I was sat upstairs), there was a woman with two young boys (aged about 7).

Partway through the journey, some guys got onto the bus, I think they were about 18. Tbh, I wasn't paying that much attention. So, they come upstairs, all 4/5 of them come sit at the back, like the "cool" people do. :cool: (Meh, not bothered, personally.) All is well, until the guys start having their conversations.

I'm not bothered about the conversation topic etc, but what did bug me was their habit of littering their sentences (fairy liberally), with swear words - as in, every third word.
So, me with my faith in people, I turned round, and (politely) asked them to please tone down the swearing, as there were children on the bus - hardly an unreasonable request, imo.
One of them said, "OK", then, as I turned back round, added "toad". :rolleyes: (Like I care that much about what some chavvy schoolboys think of me.) I decided to rise above it and ignore them... no point getting bogged down in an argument with people like that.
A couple of minutes later, conversation is back to being littered with effs and whatever. Cba after that; I decided if they hadn't listened to me the first time, asking them again wasn't going to make a difference.

The reason I asked them to tone it down in the first place, is that in my experience, most people are perfectly happy to oblige sensible requests if you ask them nicely. (One woman I know of, got so annoyed with a group of teenage boys peppering their conversation on a long train journey with swear words, that she eventually turned round and asked them to stop it. Response: a red face, "sorry misses", and clean conversation from then on.) Obviously, didn't happen in this case. :rolleyes:

Argh, it just annoys me so much. :mad: It's not even that I'm straight-laced and prudish or whatever (I'm really not) - I just don't like it when people use foul language in earshot of children. And I hardly think that asking them to tone down the swearing, on a silent bus, with young children around, was that unreasonable a request. Grrr. :mad:

Who are you, the free speech police? Mind your own business, tbh.
Original post by treasureBelle
Gah.

There's no point in trying to even reason with people like this; especially when there's so many of them. As bad as it sounds you'll just have to ignore it and hope the lady with the children get off soon / go downstairs.
(edited 12 years ago)
This thread should be called "My Bus Experience"
In all honesty that was very considerate of you but sometimes you just have to ignore people. For all we know those guys could have been carrying knives, then waited for you to get off and stab you. I heard a lot of stories of people being killed just for looking at someone the wrong way. Not to talk of telling somebody off. And yes, I know you were just informing them, but crazy teens wouldn't see it that way, they'd think you were having a go at them.
Not as bad as the Peckham Terminator

I was expecting far worse before entering this thread. I've had far worse on public transport, as in people actually insulting me directly in front of lots of people. Arguably, you were the bad one here.
(edited 12 years ago)
What age are you? If you're like 20 and they're 18, you telling them off would be hilarious to them. I believe in public decency, but it's not illegal if they weren't aiming it towards anyone - this is why public transport is cheaper than buying your own car. Should probably let them at it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kenan and Kel

What was he shouting about?
Original post by Kenan and Kel

christ.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending