The Student Room Group

I know someone who's cheating the benefit system...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by problemsolver
Well sure if there was a job needing to be done, I agree it'd be unacceptable. But there's a shortage of jobs now anyway, and plenty of other people wanting to work. Why should she take a job that they want, when she's happy on benefits?

But it's benefit fraud. She's lying.
Reply 21
Original post by problemsolver
it's a fraction of a penny each. she clearly doesn't want to work, and there are plenty of others who want jobs, and there's a shortage of jobs. it might as well be someone who's happy on benefits who stays on benefits.

If she doesn't want to work thats her choice, however she shouldn't get any money and its debatable whether she should be entitled to the benefits of the NHS, the police force or any other public services, after all its not like she has contributed towards them.

If more people worked there would be more money in the economy which would mean more jobs. Its not like there is some limit to the number of jobs in the UK, if the working population grew so would the number of jobs.

Would you rather she got £X000 pounds a year from the government or would you rather that money went to a hospital to help people who really need it? If you picked the second one you should report her.
Reply 22
I think the more important question is why have you befriended a middle aged woman?
Reply 23
Hmmm. There might be a reason as to why. She might be really desperate for money and this could be the only way for her to make enough. Are you sure she's spending it ALL on alcohol and gigs. I'm not sure I can believe that. If I were you I'd try to understand her situation a bit more see if she genuinely needs it or is just being lazy.
Reply 24
LEAVE IT!!!!!!
If you really cared "about the system being cheated", then you would be protesting against the massive corporations that pay little or no tax. The Tory's and labour won't chase then up, only working class people as they're soft targets.
The money will only go towards funding a illegal war, lining politicians pockets or buying a banker a nice new house.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by CamH
If she doesn't want to work thats her choice, however she shouldn't get any money and its debatable whether she should be entitled to the benefits of the NHS, the police force or any other public services, after all its not like she has contributed towards them.

If more people worked there would be more money in the economy which would mean more jobs. Its not like there is some limit to the number of jobs in the UK, if the working population grew so would the number of jobs.

Would you rather she got £X000 pounds a year from the government or would you rather that money went to a hospital to help people who really need it? If you picked the second one you should report her.

Can you expand on this or link me to an explanation? Perhaps you're right, but her working wouldn't necessarily increase the number of people working, it could just put someone else who needs a job out of a job: if you have 80 people applying for a job position who have no alternative, then it doesn't make a difference which one gets it and which 79 stay on benefits (all it affects is the satisfaction of that group of 80 people: if the one who wants to work most gets the job, the group of 80 has their satisfaction maximized)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Dekota-XS
Leave it be. It's her business.

It's the taxpayers' business.
Original post by Medican
Hmmm. There might be a reason as to why. She might be really desperate for money and this could be the only way for her to make enough. Are you sure she's spending it ALL on alcohol and gigs. I'm not sure I can believe that. If I were you I'd try to understand her situation a bit more see if she genuinely needs it or is just being lazy.

I may have not made myself clear 100% on this but...

This woman was my best friend for at least a year. I know she is capable of working - of doing any kind of work.
She claims full housing benefit, so her rent is paid, the 'extra' money she gets, she spends on alcohol and gigs.
Original post by KlaireDelilah
I've been looking for a few days for the best place to post this, I decided here - but with a risk, seeing as I can't post Anon here...

I know a woman who's about in her late 30's, I used to be friends with her. We were into the same music, so if we weren't wasted at a gig, we'd be at hers drunk I met her via my Mum, they were into the same music, too.

My Mum never thought about this seriously because they were best friends, but I've recently realised, this woman has been claiming full disability benefits (calming that she's 'physically' ill and can't move) for at LEAST the last 4 years.
She is in no was physically disabled, and all she spends her benefit money on is gigs and alcohol.

I know I should tell someone about this, because she's cheating the system. And I know that my Mum would support me if I did, it's just the doing it first that's the problem....
anyone know who/where i should call to report this kind of thing?
or does anyone think i shouldn't report this king of thing?!

thank you :smile:

I say you both enjoy the money together.
What harm can it do to get some booze and concert tickets for nothing? Politicians do it all the time.
If you can't beat em join em.
Good luck :smile:
Original post by Stanza
On the one hand if you report her she will have to get a job. This means one less job for people who actually want to work. When we commit to work, we know that we will be paying for people who are sitting ontheir arses, but we still commit to work as we feel happier working. I agree with problemsolver, leave her to it, she is a scum who deserves to waste her life on gigs and booze, she might actually look back one day and regret it.

On the other hand though is a whole trend of people who sit on their bottoms. If these people all decided get back to work suddenly how would it affect britain?

What planet are you living on?
I've been looking for a few days for the best place to post this, I decided here - but with a risk, seeing as I can't post Anon here...

I know a woman who's about in her late 30's, I used to be friends with her. We were into the same music, so if we weren't wasted at a gig, we'd be at hers drunk I met her via my Mum, they were into the same music, too.

My Mum never thought about this seriously because they were best friends, but I've recently realised, this woman has been claiming full disability benefits (calming that she's 'physically' ill and can't move) for at LEAST the last 4 years.
She is in no was physically disabled, and all she spends her benefit money on is gigs and alcohol.

I know I should tell someone about this, because she's cheating the system. And I know that my Mum would support me if I did, it's just the doing it first that's the problem....
anyone know who/where i should call to report this kind of thing?
or does anyone think i shouldn't report this king of thing?!

thank you :smile:

Even though what she's doing is really wrong, no one likes a snitch. Sooner or later her life will be ****ed anyway. It sounds like it already is to me, tbh

Also, she was your best friend. Again, I say what she is doing is wrong but if you report her, that'll make you a snake imo.
(edited 12 years ago)
Does she have kids? think long and hard before reporting her. I personally would not do it.
(edited 12 years ago)
ruinnnnnnnnn da b1tchez lyf

film it den put it on yoootooob so we can all laff at dem takin her alchol money away

lolllllz
Original post by FunkeyMunkey
Does she have kids? think long and hard before reporting her. I personally would not do it.

She doesn't have children.
Original post by DZJX
I think the more important question is why have you befriended a middle aged woman?

hahahaha I was thinking this too

She doesn't have children.

hmm maybe you should then. But honestly, I wouldn't get myself involved if it was me but its up to you really!
Reply 36
I may have not made myself clear 100% on this but...

This woman was my best friend for at least a year. I know she is capable of working - of doing any kind of work.
She claims full housing benefit, so her rent is paid, the 'extra' money she gets, she spends on alcohol and gigs.

Where can i adopt a middle aged friend?
Reply 37
You may THINK you know this person but how much do you actually know about there medical condition? DLA applications and criteria are quite complex and you should not just assume she is fit. I personally think you should NOT report this person. I agree that nobody should fiddle the benefits system and those who do should be brought to justice but you are this person’s friend for god’s sake? Honestly, I think you are a terrible ‘friend’... most people would do quite a lot for their friends current/past. Keep this up and you will end up lonely and miserable..
Just have a chat with her, tell her what she is doing is wrong blah.. don’t go having your friend prosecuted!!!
Reply 38
Original post by IRSP044
LEAVE IT!!!!!!
If you really share "about the system being cheated" then you would be protesting against the massive corporations that pay little or no tax. The Tory's and labour won't chase then up, only working class people as they're soft targets.
The money will only go towards funding a illegal war, lining politicians pockets or buying a banker a nice new house.

wow I agree with this so true about the bankers did you know that people are paying more taxes while the bonuses bankers gets are increasing but as you tory and labour don't want to chase them up they want to increase the gulf between the rich and poor.....disgusting!!!
Original post by IRSP044
LEAVE IT!!!!!!
If you really share "about the system being cheated" then you would be protesting against the massive corporations that pay little or no tax. The Tory's and labour won't chase then up, only working class people as they're soft targets.

...... what?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending