The Student Room Group

My Weight Gain Blog (Female)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BoxesAndBangles
This is not lucky haha, I wish I could just put some meat on! Thank you! :biggrin:

wanna swap? i got plenty of 'meat' :rofl:
I got negged for this blog. I don't understand.

People are always going on about how too skinny isn't good, how processed foods aren't good.

I have a very low BMI, and used to eat nothing but say a pot noodle and 3 packets of crisps and 4 cans of pepsi a day. No exercise.

I'm a person trying to bring about a positive change in myself and my diet by eating more whole foods, protein, fruit and not eating any processed foods and starting to exercise yet I get negged. Great!

I've not got it down perfectly yet, I don't need to be Kelly Rowland or an olympic star yet I just want to improve :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
i just gave you a poss rating
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
i just gave you a poss rating

Aww thanks :biggrin: I did the same on your blog yesterday 'cos you've actually lost so much :O And your diet's getting good right now. I wish we could somehow swap a bit of weight around :P I'm eating more than twice what you are.
(edited 12 years ago)
My BMR is about 1,600. If I could eat 900 more calories everyday, I'd put on nearly a lb a day.. unless I just got ill and couldn't digest it all..
I know that you're born with certain shapes - but if a person with that genetic makeup to be curvy has no meat on them then that won't show as much. So perhaps I used the wrong word with toned. I think I have a reasonable body shape for having a low BMI (my measurements are 34-25-35 - I mismeasured yesterday). I went to the doctor and he told me that my weight was pretty low and that I would do well to put some on but that "if I was happy with how I looked" then I could forget because I'm still technically healthy.

I think putting on weight will help me, for those reasons. One thing I do not want to do is work my shoulders and upper back because it's already hugely broad! My waist does look very small compared to it. I look like a male stripper!

Again, I've obviously used the wrong word with tone. I want to put on weight and then put on some muscle to hold it all in so I'm not very flabby. I want to get fitter but I don't want to have a very low body fat etc.

Thanks for all the advice. Will keep it in mind!

Hm, I don't think you understand how weight gain works.
If you are to put on weight, it will make your waist bigger, thus make you less curvy. You also can not guarantee that it will be evenly spread as it might go on your ass, or you stomach, your breasts, arms, legs etc. In short, you can never improve a figure with weight unless you are extremely underweight which you most certainly are not.
As for being naturally curvy, sadly you are not. This is obvious with the pictures you posted because at that weight your bust would be larger along with your hips. Anyway, even if you were curvy, gaining weight reduces curves unless your are emaciated. I think your best bet would be to get trim and toned as that would pull your waist in.
Also, your back is not broad at all. The women I talked about were rock climbers and they had very muscular backs, yet all the guys loved their figures.
Aww thanks :biggrin: I did the same on your blog yesterday 'cos you've actually lost so much :O And your diet's so good right now. I wish we could somehow swap a bit of weight around :P

i would gladly give you a bit of my weight lol

ive hardly lost anything according to some people on here :rofl:
Original post by Jimbo1234
Hm, I don't think you understand how weight gain works.
If you are to put on weight, it will make your waist bigger, thus make you less curvy. You also can not guarantee that it will be evenly spread as it might go on your ass, or you stomach, your breasts, arms, legs etc. In short, you can never improve a figure with weight unless you are extremely underweight which you most certainly are not.
As for being naturally curvy, sadly you are not. This is obvious with the pictures you posted because at that weight your bust would be larger along with your hips. Anyway, even if you were curvy, gaining weight reduces curves unless your are emaciated. I think your best bet would be to get trim and toned as that would pull your waist in.
Also, your back is not broad at all. The women I talked about were rock climbers and they had very muscular backs, yet all the guys loved their figures.

I believe you can improve some bodies with weight gain, as not everybody favours the skinny look. Slim yes, skinny no.
I'm 6 and a half stone, putting on weight is not going to hurt me. I appreciate your advice, and I know you're only posting to help me - and I am going to exercise but I do feel I'd be happier if I put on a little weight. Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
i would gladly give you a bit of my weight lol

ive hardly lost anything according to some people on here :rofl:

Almost 20lbs isn't nothing! When I commented on your blog, I didn't realise how much you'd lost. And you're not aiming to be the perfect weight, I'm starting to understand that now that I'm on my own programme haha
Almost 20lbs isn't nothing! When I commented on your blog, I didn't realise how much you'd lost. And you're not aiming to be the perfect weight, I'm starting to understand that now that I'm on my own programme haha

what are you aiming to be?

ive set my sights on 11 stone
Hi :wavey:

I've been unhappy with my body for a while. I'm a short, skinny girl of 20. I'm 4'11" and about 95lbs. I've always wanted a curvier body, especially at my height being so skinny just makes me look less feminine and, I feel, slightly childish. My sister weighs 120lbs and is only about an inch taller than me, and she looks great!

So I'm on a mission to gain weight, and fast. I also want to tone up. I'm aiming pretty high in terms of daily diet, as I feel I won't be able to eat as much as that most days. I'm trying to eat a diet low in processed foods, and richer in raw foods. I'm aiming to get more of my calories from protein than fat, for example.

So here's my diet plan, I'll post what I've achieved from this everyday. I think this journal will help me stick to it :biggrin: I've only got 2 more days of Uni until Christmas, so some meals sound like a lot but I plan on eating them over the space of about an hour. I've recently stopped drinking, too. Well, yesterday but I'm on a break for sure :smile:

9am - Breakfast
Meusli with whole milk + extra raisins, banana, kiwi, 50g nuts (brazils, pecans, cashews, hazelnuts, almonds), 4 dates, 1 glass of pure orange, a glass of high juice, a glass of milk, a multivitamin 1,200kcal, 32g protein

1pm - Lunch
Bowl of noodles, 2 cheese toasties (4 slices of bread, 70g cheddar), cup of tea with whole milk and 2 sugars, 2 glasses of high juice 1,150kcal, 37g protein

6pm - Dinner
4 baked seasoned drumsticks cooked in a couple of tablespoons of oil, with a small portion of fries and spiced rice, 2 glasses of high juice 1,200kcal, 45g protein

7pm - Dessert
Apple with 50ml cream, small portion of fruit cocktail (peaches, pears, pineapple, grapes, cherry) 150kcal, no protein

9pm - Snacks
1 slice of french toast, 2 small cookies, 2 milkshakes 1,100kcal, 28g protein

I'm also working my way up to toning exercises - starting with stretches, 20 squats and 20 lunges with a 2kg weight in each hand. I'll also do 30 sit ups a day. Every couple of days I do a bit of bellydancing too, which when done properly is really good for the abs apparently :biggrin: Every evening I take a 45mins - 1 hour walk.

Here's my starting photograph (underwear) which I took so that I can visualise my progress. As you can see, I am skinny-fat. I might not look that skinny in this photo, because I have a pot belly currently, but I am.

I saw this picture of myself on a night out recently, and aside from the fact I'm drunk and throwing a peace sign at 5am on the street, I just realised that my body looks so pathetic!

So, I am totally motivated :biggrin: I'm very open to advice, too, if anyone has any. I don't want to be a bodybuilder I just want a more feminine, curvier and healthier looking body. My current aim is 105 pounds. Depending on how I feel about it, I'll probably then aim further.

Thanks for reading :smile:

Woah! The snacks added up that much! And the breakfast! Gosh, I must eat like 10 000 calories a day :colondollar:

I know exactly how you feel like. When I was around 13/14 I was very skinny. I was always the "skinny" girl and people would always tell me "you need to eat" or "you're so skinny you should try and put on weight" or even things like "you're just skin and bones!". Argh it was so annoying and I really hated it. I couldn't understand how anyone could think its okay and not offensive to say such things. I found them really hurtful. My own friends would say it to me too often and I had enough. One day I decided I am going to put on weight no matter what it takes. I have a really fast metabolism (and still do), so I worked really hard. Unlike you though, I was only 14 and didn't know **** about carbohydrates, protein, muscle vs fat etc so all I did was eat bread. Lots and lots of it. (I am arab so there is always pitta bread in my house!) I would wake up in the morning and eat 4-6 sandwiches or just bread with houmous. I would force myself to eat it as there was never really much junk/snacks in our house besides by mum buying take out for dinner quite often, which I would eat too. I would then force myself to eat around 4 in the afternoon and again at night. At night I would eat and then try and wake up in the middle of the night again to eat some more. On average I would force myself to eat about 12 pitta breads a day, with some kind of spread or dip. I would also eat anything else there was to offer and this was just an addition.
I don't know how long it took but it was definitely within six months that I put on a significant amount of weight. No one at school really noticed or if they did they didnt say anything. But when family would come round, (the type that visit every 4-5 months), they were so surprised by my weight gain and said I look alot bigger. Before I started this regime thing, I had these size 6 skinny jeans that were really loose on me (btw I was like 5'2 at this age) but they no longer really fit when I tried them on again. I became a solid size 8 and went back to my normal eating habbits. I was alot happier and the "skinny" comments became alot less frequent. I was no longer skinny but just slim. I'm nearly 19 now, and a size 8 on top and 10 at bottom and about 5'4. You know what? People still sometimes make the "skinny" comments. It really pisses me off because I know I am not. I have no portruding bones and I do have boobs etc. I used to get pissed off and want to put on more weight but I am now really happy with my body. If anyone makes a comment, its usually when everyone is talking about their weight whereas before people would randomly drop it to me. if anyone says it now, I just think bitch...please.
Anyways really long post but the reason I wrote all that is because no matter what your shape/size you will get critisised. If you put on weight people might still not think you're curvy enough, or even worse they might think you are fat! Then you would have achieved nothing. I think you have a really good body OP in proportion to your height. I think its important to accept and embrace your body and be confident with it. Then again, I think the weight gain did give me a boost in confidence. Not because people stop commenting, because they still do. I'm just more confident because I personally like my body. I say good luck with your aims but always remember to do it for yourself and not for others because even if you have a great body (which you do), people will critisise you and make comments on it.
I hope it goes well! Your plans sound waaay better because you're exercising (i didnt do ****!) and being smart about your food intake.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ilovefashion90
Woah! The snacks added up that much! And the breakfast! Gosh, I must eat like 10 000 calories a day :colondollar:

I know exactly how you feel like. When I was around 13/14 I was very skinny. I was always the "skinny" girl and people would always tell me "you need to eat" or "you're so skinny you should try and put on weight" or even things like "you're just skin and bones!". Argh it was so annoying and I really hated it. I couldn't understand how anyone could think its okay and not offensive to say such things. I found them really hurtful. My own friends would say it to me too often and I had enough. One day I decided I am going to put on weight no matter what it takes. I have a really fast metabolism (and still do), so I worked really hard. Unlike you though, I was only 14 and didn't know **** about carbohydrates, protein, muscle vs fat etc so all I did was eat bread. Lots and lots of it. (I am arab so there is always pitta bread in my house!) I would wake up in the morning and eat 4-6 sandwiches or just bread with houmous. I would force myself to eat it as there was never really much junk/snacks in our house besides by mum buying take out for dinner quite often, which I would eat too. I would then force myself to eat around 4 in the afternoon and again at night. At night I would eat and then try and wake up in the middle of the night again to eat some more. On average I would force myself to eat about 12 pitta breads a day, with some kind of spread or dip. I would also eat anything else there was to offer and this was just an addition.
I don't know how long it took but it was definitely within six months that I put on a significant amount of weight. No one at school really noticed or if they did they didnt say anything. But when family would come round, (the type that visit every 4-5 months), they were so surprised by my weight gain and said I look alot bigger. Before I started this regime thing, I had these size 6 skinny jeans that were really loose on me (btw I was like 5'2 at this age) but they no longer really fit when I tried them on again. I became a solid size 8 and went back to my normal eating habbits. I was alot happier and the "skinny" comments became alot less frequent. I was no longer skinny but just slim. I'm nearly 19 now, and a size 8 on top and 10 at bottom and about 5'4. You know what? People still sometimes make the "skinny" comments. It really pisses me off because I know I am not. I have no portruding bones and I do have boobs etc. I used to get pissed off and want to put on more weight but I am now really happy with my body. If anyone makes a comment, its usually when everyone is talking about their weight whereas before people would randomly drop it to me. if anyone says it now, I just think bitch...please.
Anyways really long post but the reason I wrote all that is because no matter what your shape/size you will get critisised. If you put on weight people might still not think you're curvy enough, or even worse they might think you are fat! Then you would have achieved nothing. I think you have a really good body OP in proportion to your height. I think its important to accept and embrace your body and be confident with it. Then again, I think the weight gain did give me a boost in confidence. Not because people stop commenting, because they still do. I'm just more confident because I personally like my body. I say good luck with your aims but always remember to do it for yourself and not for others because even if you have a great body (which you do), people will critisise you and make comments on it.
I hope it goes well! Your plans sound waaay better because you're exercising (i didnt do ****!) and being smart about your food intake.

You're absolutely right. People will always criticise. I'm a 6 and a half stone girl wanting to eat more good foods, and exercise, and become a little bit more solid and a guy comes in and says "you shouldn't put on weight, you're obviously not naturally curvy, etc. etc." while everyone else tells me the opposite and that I need to put on weight and I'm just skin and bones etc.

I know everyone is trying to help but everyone has their individual choices and what I want isn't unhealthy. So that's what I'm aiming for.

Thank you for writing such a long post and I totally get how the weight gain boosted your confidence :biggrin: Is it hard to maintain it?
(edited 12 years ago)
what are you aiming to be?

ive set my sights on 11 stone

Good luck :biggrin: Probably about 105lbs
Good luck :biggrin: Probably about 105lbs

good luck to you too

we can both do it :biggrin:
good luck to you too

we can both do it :biggrin:

The criticism is kind of good in a way, because it makes me more motivated to do it :biggrin: Here's to both us reaching our goals!
The criticism is kind of good in a way, because it makes me more motivated to do it :biggrin: Here's to both us reaching our goals!

damn right :biggrin:

to us! :cool: :wink:
You're absolutely right. People will always criticise. I'm a 6 and a half stone girl wanting to eat more good foods, and exercise, and become a little bit more solid and a guy comes in and says "you shouldn't put on weight, you're obviously not naturally curvy, etc. etc." while everyone else tells me the opposite and that I need to put on weight and I'm just skin and bones etc.

I know everyone is trying to help but everyone has their individual choices and what I want isn't unhealthy. So that's what I'm aiming for.

Thank you for writing such a long post and I totally get how the weight gain boosted your confidence :biggrin: Is it hard to maintain it?

Exactly! He is telling you one thing when everyone else is telling you another. It's so frustrating.
I remember once I was watching a video by Fergie and my friend said how nice her body looked. I said, "if you like her body, why are you always commenting about my weight and how skinny I am" and she still tried to say I am skinner than her. Fergie looks about a 6/8 UK size max and I could not be more certain that I am not smaller than her. When my friend said that, I realised that you cant base your self esteem on what other people tell you.
And nope not hard to maintain as although I put on weight, I'm not super-toned. I just look like a healthy slim weight and dont have a proper flat stomach you'd get with exercise. On tsr, I used to always read that a size 8/10 is about the ideal weight, yet in real life I get alot more comments about me being too skinny than I do compliments about my figure (which are quite rare). Once I reached the weight I did, I was scared to go back to my old eating routine as I thought I'd lose everything again (even though my regular diet was still quite high in calories), but I didn't. I have recently discovered that I am a few kg bigger than I thought I was but I couldn't care less. People's opinions dont mean anything. Everyone has different opinions. I have noticed that it has only ever been girls telling me I am too skinny. My family tell me that I am not skinny at all and should lose weight! :s-smilie:
Who cares what anyone thinks. Who cares what your friends think, what TSR thinks, your family etc because there is always going to be a divide in opinions.
What I will say is don't give up. I always read on here about girls saying "I'm so skinny but its not my fault I just cant gain weight..." I was exactly like that before but I discovered that its not "impossible" as alot of people like to say it is. You just have to be consistent for a couple of months. The reason I am encouraging you is because you said its your own individual choice and I can see that because everyone is trying to stop you doing this but its not affecting you. You're doing it for yourself. Just don't go overboard!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
Day 2

I didn't eat everything I wanted to eat today, or exercise, because I went for a long nap. But still better than yesterday!

Breakfast
Muesli with whole milk and extra raisins, 50g nuts (10g almonds, 10g brazils, 10g cashews, 10g hazelnuts, 10g peanuts), kiwi, banana, 4 dates, glass of orange juice, 2 glasses of apple high juice, glass of milk

Lunch
2 cheese toasties
Noodles
25g pringles
3 glasses of high juice

Dinner
4 baked chicken drumsticks with skin cooked in oil
1 pack of savoury rice
2 glasses of high juice

Snack
2 milkshakes

Total - 4,200kcal, 126g protein

Do you eat much fruit and veg? There isn't much here.

OK one thing I would tell you is that people will always have something to say about your weight. When I was more than half way through losing weight people started saying (including my mum) that I was too skinny despite my BMI was above 25 and almost got into an argument with someone over my weight.

At the end of the day only you should decide what you want to do and you just gonna have to ignore the negative comments as if you do listen to others your'e just going to get even more frustrated.

With regards to you getting fat you won't get fat unless you gain weight really fast and really unhealthy. If you take your time with it and make sure you do weight training then most of that gain would be muscle rather than fat.

Also no I don't think I am going to do a blog particularly looking at some of the negativity on here. I am going to do (when I finish with the weight loss) a before and after post. Then do a before and after pics after my bulk and cut cycle in order to show people on here that gaining some muscle is not a bad thing.
Reply 79
i actually love reading this blog; i think it's great how some people embrace gaining weight and everything; and actually try and eat more, i would so love to be like that!!

i was very ill for a couple of years and am in recovery now but am still very fearful of gaining weight. i'm 5'10 and probably weigh around about 9 stone which is bordering on underweight but i can't seem to get the courage to eat more to gain that bit more weight to be healthier.

anyway, point is - you go girl. i think you're amazing and very determined. if you want to gain weight and enjoy eating lots of food then why should you care what anyone else thinks? they're probably jealous because of all the yummy things you get to eat! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest