The Student Room Group

Have an interview with sales and marketing company that has no website - alarm bells?

I got invited to an informal interview tomorrow morning with a company called Blue River Advertising, which I think I applied to through TotalJobs. Problem is, I can hardly find any information on them when I Google them, and this is a bit worrying. From what I can tell in the email and the ad, they seem to do sales and marketing. The person who emailed me has blueriveradvertising.co.uk, which I assume must be their website address, but when I visit it doesn't seem to work. I'm finding this a bit strange, and worried that there may be something dodgy about them?

There are other sales and marketing job ads I've looked at and applied to, but on researching each company I've come across forum posts with negative reviews from people saying they are scammy, dodgy, unethical and 100% commission based (with no guarantee of earning anything). And so I avoided going further with my applications with those companies.

But with this Blue River Advertising company, I can't even find any information on them at all on any forums or anything. They have a London address and phone number, but that's it.

So what do you think? Am I right in feeling cautious? And is it worth me going to the interview tomorrow?

Scroll to see replies

You've got nothing to lose by going... If it seems dodgy afterwards just say no
(edited 12 years ago)
It's a direct marketing company. Chances are you'll be:

* Going around business to business selling make-up or E-LITE cigarettes
* Selling loft insulation going door to door

You'll be working on 100% commission. Can you make good money, yes. But is the time and effort you put into the work worth the money, no. It's a COBRA group, a system of heir-achy. My old company was on panorama "Britain's worst paid jobs".

There was legal debates, and apparently they have to pay you min WAGE. However they won't, they say it's 100% commission and even that's a lie. It IS 100% commission, but for example lets say you sell a make-up set for £20, you'll get £5 of that, £5 will go to the manager and £10 to Head Office.

You're effectively working for the manager whilst he sits in his office, repeat the same amount of money you made but from all your hard word.

If you want more information I wrote a small BLOG on a website, very rushed and not well written, but it was wrote in a moment of anger. Or you can PM me here, ask me any questions you want.
I wouldn't touch these with a barge pole, I bet its from the "Appco Group" which is the new name for Cobra Group. If you can't find much info on the company then it is probably one that changes its name a lot to avoid bad publicity because newspapers/documentaries etc have exposed them.

These places are full of bullying and exploitation, they market themselves to graduates with ideas of being able to earn huge amounts on commission but in reality like Ready Set Go says, you will be earning f-all and being encouraged to use disingenuous tactics and lies to make sales and when you don't make enough sales being made to feel like a failure.

Go to the interview if you like but if it was me I would have more questions for them than they have for you. Don't underestimate the potential damage signing up to one of these scam jobs can do for a young graduate....people say "ah well you can give it a go, if its bad you can always leave" but you end up being slogged into the ground feeling utterly miserable for a few weeks, to end up with a job on your CV that you left soon and can't get a good reference from, to put off future employers.
Oh crikey, people are posting what I feared :erm:. I don't always deal with being bullied well. I don't know if I'd be any good at door-to-door selling either. Hmmm, a lot to think about. Thank you everyone who posted :smile:

Ah well, suppose I've got till about 10am tomorrow to decide whether it's worth my time and train fare, or whether I should give it a miss and go to my usual charity shop shift :beard:
Reply 5
Original post by Nick1sHere
You've got nothing to lose by going

famous last words...
Reply 6
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I got invited to an informal interview tomorrow morning with a company called Blue River Advertising, which I think I applied to through TotalJobs. Problem is, I can hardly find any information on them when I Google them, and this is a bit worrying. From what I can tell in the email and the ad, they seem to do sales and marketing. The person who emailed me has blueriveradvertising.co.uk, which I assume must be their website address, but when I visit it doesn't seem to work. I'm finding this a bit strange, and worried that there may be something dodgy about them?

There are other sales and marketing job ads I've looked at and applied to, but on researching each company I've come across forum posts with negative reviews from people saying they are scammy, dodgy, unethical and 100% commission based (with no guarantee of earning anything). And so I avoided going further with my applications with those companies.

But with this Blue River Advertising company, I can't even find any information on them at all on any forums or anything. They have a London address and phone number, but that's it.

So what do you think? Am I right in feeling cautious? And is it worth me going to the interview tomorrow?

Basically you'll work the entire day with pay being based on the amount of sales you have made, there not under any law to pay you a minimum wage either. Don't go, Panoramma did a episode on it
Reply 7

got an interview with blue river advertising tomorrow. I couldn't find anything about them either.

did you go to the interview?
Original post by extom
got an interview with blue river advertising tomorrow. I couldn't find anything about them either.

did you go to the interview?

Nah, I decided not to in the end. After what people have told me on here, I decided that they were probably dodgy and not worth it.
Reply 9
I think if it's not too demanding you should have as many interviews as possible even in those type of companies...
Reply 10
Nah, I decided not to in the end. After what people have told me on here, I decided that they were probably dodgy and not worth it.

I went to it today, you're right they are dodgy. The annoying thing is the advert i responded to said "we require sales and marketing staff to work in our busy London office" when I get there they tell me the job will be out on the streets knocking on people's doors. :confused:
disingenuous at best plain liars at worst

and yes all the pay is commission based. If you're not hitting targets you don;t get paid a penny.
Original post by extom
I went to it today, you're right they are dodgy. The annoying thing is the advert i responded to said "we require sales and marketing staff to work in our busy London office" when I get there they tell me the job will be out on the streets knocking on people's doors. :confused:
disingenuous at best plain liars at worst

and yes all the pay is commission based. If you're not hitting targets you don;t get paid a penny.

OK, thanks for the info. Did they offer you a job? If so, did you decline or accept it?
Reply 12
OK, thanks for the info. Did they offer you a job? If so, did you decline or accept it?

they want me to go out with a team leader for a day and just watch what happens, obviously i have to pay for the travel.

after that they decide to take you on or not
Reply 13
I have interview with this company tomorrow and neither can i find their website, a bit strange, isn't it?

By the way is there anyone here who has been to this company's office and their interview? are they genuine? what is the pay like commission or guaranteed pay for your hours? What sort of job is it? Office based work or knocking people's doors or wondering about the streets like a headless chicken selling stuff to the people?
You know most of your questions were answered three posts above yours, right?

Bro I've been working with blue for months now and I make around £180 a week with normal working hours! Can't believe you turned them down.
Original post by A level Az
Bro I've been working with blue for months now and I make around £180 a week with normal working hours! Can't believe you turned them down.

Really? So you're pleased with your job and don't find it at all dodgy?
Reply 17

If that's true, can you please explain us a bit more about this "company" ? :confused:

I have an interview tomorrow with them, and I'm not sure if I should go...
(edited 12 years ago)
Really? So you're pleased with your job and don't find it at all dodgy?

Original post by elrosito
If that's true, can you please explain us a bit more about this "company" ? :confused:

I have an interview tomorrow with them, and I'm not sure if I should go...

I feel bad for trolling so I'll confirm that I made that up. It sounds like a **** company, so only take the job if you're REALLY struggling would be my advice.
I feel bad for trolling so I'll confirm that I made that up. It sounds like a **** company, so only take the job if you're REALLY struggling would be my advice.

I shoulda known from the red gems :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending