The Student Room Group

Work Experience For A Level Students?

Hello :smile:

I'm in year 12, studying for my AS levels and I know I want to go into investment banking, but I want to study Politics at university. Obviously, the banks may question my dedication to finance, because as I would've studied Politics at uni, they'd think I'm only in it because I heard that banking is where the money is.

So, I want to get some work experience to sort of demonstrate my enthusiasm from a young age, even before university. However, I've tried getting some experience at high street retail banks, but they're telling me they won't allow me as I'm only 16 :/

The only way around this in my head right now is by knowing people who work there etc. but unfortunately, I don't know any. What would you suggest? Should I carry on trying, or maybe should I try getting work experience somewhere other than a bank, but still finance related? Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Really difficult to get IB work experience pre-university. Look at the J.P. Morgan Schools Programme (only for girls now probably) and Windsor Fellowship programmes (only for ethnic minorities from state schools probably).

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't waste it by trying to get IB work experience. Try to get any other kind of work experience instead (e.g. at an accountancy firm your dad's friend works at or whatever, high street retail shop, etc) - it helps land you interviews in your 1st year at university. Very difficult to break into IB otherwise even at university.
Reply 2
Original post by Swayum
Really difficult to get IB work experience pre-university. Look at the J.P. Morgan Schools Programme (only for girls now probably) and Windsor Fellowship programmes (only for ethnic minorities from state schools probably).

If I could go back in time, I wouldn't waste it by trying to get IB work experience. Try to get any other kind of work experience instead (e.g. at an accountancy firm your dad's friend works at or whatever, high street retail shop, etc) - it helps land you interviews in your 1st year at university. Very difficult to break into IB otherwise even at university.

Ah right, thanks for the response.
What do you mean by doing other types of work experience will help me land interviews during my 1st year? Does any sort of experience deserve credit?
Reply 3
Original post by Alimbo95
What do you mean by doing other types of work experience will help me land interviews during my 1st year? Does any sort of experience deserve credit?

id say so yes. when you get to uni apply for spring weeks as soon as. you are in a really good position knowing what you want to do. research like crazy from now until uni learn everything you can about ib, what position your interested in, improve technical knowledge i.e. what is spread betting what is arbitrage what do traders do stuff like that. get general work experience i know accountancy firms do insight days for a level students go to them. any finance experience is good. then when your at uni focus on ib experience.
Reply 4

Yes, any work experience is good work experience both before and during university.
Reply 5
Original post by Banker91
id say so yes. when you get to uni apply for spring weeks as soon as. you are in a really good position knowing what you want to do. research like crazy from now until uni learn everything you can about ib, what position your interested in, improve technical knowledge i.e. what is spread betting what is arbitrage what do traders do stuff like that. get general work experience i know accountancy firms do insight days for a level students go to them. any finance experience is good. then when your at uni focus on ib experience.

Cheers for the advice, I'll bear that in mind.

Yeah, my technical knowledge needs improving haha!

Ok, I think I'll email a few local accountants and stuff then. I think I'm going to have to double check my family connections with financial people too.
Reply 6
Original post by Swayum
Yes, any work experience is good work experience both before and during university.

I think I'm definitely going to apply to a few local financial firms for experience.
Reply 7
Why poltics if you want to be an IB?
Reply 8
Original post by LiamSP
Why poltics if you want to be an IB?

A couple of reasons really. I didn't pick maths a level, so I can't really pick a finance related degree, especially one at a targeted university. Also, I do love politics and it does hold some relevance to finance and economics, so why not?

I reckon that as long as I get the degree from a good uni, like LSE, Warwick, UCL, Oxbridge etc, I will stand a fairly good chance.
Reply 9

A couple of reasons really. I didn't pick maths a level, so I can't really pick a finance related degree, especially one at a targeted university. Also, I do love politics and it does hold some relevance to finance and economics, so why not?

I reckon that as long as I get the degree from a good uni, like LSE, Warwick, UCL, Oxbridge etc, I will stand a fairly good chance.

What are your gcse results? And what subjects are you taking for a level
Reply 10
Original post by Jed123
What are your gcse results? And what subjects are you taking for a level

I got 5 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs - with A* in Maths and a B in English Language.

For a levels, I'm taking Geography, Biology, Govt. & Politics, Classical Civilisation [+ General Studies]. Quite a mix, I know, but it's a combination of the subjects I like.
Reply 11
From my understanding, maths is integral in IB, politics may not cut it
Reply 12
Original post by LiamSP
From my understanding, maths is integral in IB, politics may not cut it

Depends really where I want to work within investment banking. Some areas need more maths than others. And it's not like I'm bad at maths, I got an A* at GCSE, so when it comes to those entrance test for certain firms, my numeracy skills won't be terrible.
Reply 13
A* at gcse really doesn't show that much of an aptitude at maths. But hey, you seem of done your research so who am I to say your wrong, out of interest, which areas of IB are you interested in?
Reply 14
Original post by LiamSP
A* at gcse really doesn't show that much of an aptitude at maths. But hey, you seem of done your research so who am I to say your wrong, out of interest, which areas of IB are you interested in?

No I know, but I haven't got maths at AS or A2 so I haven't really got anything else to demonstrate my mathematical ability.

Um not thought about that too much, but I'd love to be doing sales and trading or maybe mergers & acquisitions.
Reply 15
Maths isn't that important, unless you want a quant role or to trade exotic products etc. Aside from that as long as you can do the online numeracy tests which you certainly don't need A level or above for then you are fine.
Reply 16
Original post by jamz0770
Maths isn't that important, unless you want a quant role or to trade exotic products etc. Aside from that as long as you can do the online numeracy tests which you certainly don't need A level or above for then you are fine.

Yeah, so do you think all trading roles will want me to have Maths at A level standard?
Reply 17
Yeah, so do you think all trading roles will want me to have Maths at A level standard?

Nope, As far as I'm aware for most trading roles they will just want you to have good mental maths and be quick with numbers but as far as I'm aware all that trigonometry I learnt in A-level is pretty irrelevant in trading.

As I said for more exotic products not having maths is probably a disadvantage but is it essential to have A-level maths to be a trader? No.
Reply 18
Original post by jamz0770
Nope, As far as I'm aware for most trading roles they will just want you to have good mental maths and be quick with numbers but as far as I'm aware all that trigonometry I learnt in A-level is pretty irrelevant in trading.

As I said for more exotic products not having maths is probably a disadvantage but is it essential to have A-level maths to be a trader? No.

Ah okay, thanks.
Out of curiosity, are you at in trading?
Reply 19
Ah okay, thanks.
Out of curiosity, are you at in trading?

I'm a second year student interning in Sales and Trading at Morgan Stanley next summer. What I said was based on what I've heard from HR/People in Sales and Trading. I wouldn't therefore take it as gospel or applicable for all banks but from what I've heard its pretty accurate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending