The Student Room Group

Names which you mispronounced for years, before eventually realising...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Misery
Secret option 3: Properly educated.

Well...the most properly educated person in the world isn't going to magically be able to pronounce names like Saoirse, Rhun, Pwyll, Sadhbh, Angharad, Senghennydd, Thibault etc etc the first time thy hear them. I assume you know how pronounce all of these correctly? :colonhash:

It's not because they're uneducated that people can't pronounce these. If you have no connection with the culture/language that the name originates from and don't know anyone with that name, there's no reason why you should be able to.:dontknow:
Reply 581
Original post by Dusty12
Well...the most properly educated person in the world isn't going to magically be able to pronounce names like Saoirse, Rhun, Pwyll, Sadhbh, Angharad, Senghennydd, Thibault etc etc the first time thy hear them. I assume you know how pronounce all of these correctly? :colonhash:

It's not because they're uneducated that people can't pronounce these. If you have no connection with the culture/language that the name originates from and don't know anyone with that name, there's no reason why you should be able to.:dontknow:

Angharad :love:
I love that name!
I thought Sinead was see-en-ade rather than Shen-ade
I must learn to read the thread title. My last post is obviously not a name! (still do say it wrong though)
Original post by inadilemma
How do you pronounce Matt Groening's last name? :/

Grain-ing.
Original post by I<3GraphicNovels
Grain-ing.

Ta :smile:
Reply 586
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Caoimhe

..and I'm sorry, but can I be blamed? How on Earth does "kaym-he" equal "kee-vah"? *Cry*

It's my middle name :cool:

Combine it with a surname that looks like it should be pronounced "white-ar" and is, instead, pronounced "whit-e-arr" and you're looking at the source of several disagreements with teachers/receptionists/anyone.
Original post by gypsyclimber
Siobhan - still don't quite understand how that can be pronounced shi-vorn

Also my friend Ieuan - pronounced 'yi-un'.

It's not in English, it's in Irish so it's much like you wouldn't expect to automatically be able to pronounce other names in foreign languages.

Sio (also seo) makes a 'shuh' sound. Bh substitutes for 'v', there is none in Irish. There is an accent on the a- Siobhán which changes the a into an aww sound. The n is pronounced as normal. So shuh-vawn. Or shove-awn if that's easier? Not shi-vorn, no r's! Anyway that's the explanation which makes perfect sense to me and probably only to me...:smile:

Sinéad is shi-nade, not she-nade though it will sound that way in some accent. (Not you, someone else..)
Reply 588
I always thought the a in Caleb was pronounced like the a in cat until recently.
I also thought this guy called Kareem was called cream when I was about 10.

And I thought Caolon was pronounced colon.
(edited 12 years ago)
Mainly Asian names for me, since I'm not used to them lols.
Original post by I<3GraphicNovels
Grain-ing.

I've always said "groan-egg" for some reason :erm:
Reply 591
Original post by snowyowl

Isn't that what you get if you order eggs at a seedy diner?
Whilst reading James Frey's A Millikon Little Pieces, I always read the name Leonard in my head as Leo - nard, I was furious when I found out it was actually Len-nard
O'Brien.
I know that it's meant to be O'Bryan but my brain/mouth insists on saying O'Brain every time.
Niamh, I actually thought it was nee-am for ages until I heard a TV character with said name being pronounced completely differently!
Island
I used to say 'Ezz land'
Hugh, I used to think it was huh!
Siobhan - I pronounced it Sib-han until I was about 13 or so.
Hagrid - I used to pronounce it Hay-grid
Lucian - I used to pronounce it Loo-shee-un
Marseille - Before I went there, I pronounced it like Marcel

tehehe
Original post by snowyowl

I always said groaning like it looks
Reply 599
Farquhar, or, as I pronounced it, Fark u har...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending