The Student Room Group

Names which you mispronounced for years, before eventually realising...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by philistine
... your now incredibly foolish mistake.

I'm almost afraid to admit this, but until last night, I always pronounced Goethe as 'go-uff', when it's actually 'gert-uh'.

I feel so ashamed. :emo:

Go.

EDIT: It was during All Quiet on The Western Front, where the tutor says to the class, 'he wants to be all like Goethe and Schiller'. Thank you, for pointing out my ignorance.

:smug:

You are being taught Goethe and Remarque?
I am intensely, intensely jealous.
Love them both.

oh and i pronounced bukowski with an 'o' sound
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by EmmaJane_
KESHA. I always said k-ee-sha, but apparently it's k-eh-sha.

Could've been worse :P

Reply 82
Don't know if it counts but I called my friend Brendan for years and only recently have I realised he is actually called Brandan
Reply 83
Original post by forsaken_earth
You are being taught Goethe and Remarque?
I am intensely, intensely jealous.
Love them both.

oh and i pronounced bukowski with an 'o' sound

Oh no, just casual reading and watching. I wouldn't mind being taught them, though.

Hehe. :biggrin:
Original post by Renacata
Siobhan. It's not Sea-ob-an, it's She-vaun. :erm:

I really don't understand how people don't know how to pronounce Irish names like this - they're simple to understand, surely?
Geoff. I always pronounced if Gee-off until I read it in school one day and everyone was smirking. After I finished, my friend quietly whispered "It's pronounced Jeff" :colondollar:
Reply 86
Rodney. I've been pronouncing it as Dave for years. Who knew...:sigh:

Spoiler

I remember being bemused that anyone would name their child Eilidh (Scots Gaelic), because I thought it was pronounced a bit like 'eyelid'.

Then I found out it's 'ay-lee' (so like Hayley without the H).

Oh and Eilish is not 'eye-lish' but 'ay-leesh'.

Okay then.
Reply 88
i only recently realised that Clegg was pronounced
Turncoat
Reply 89
Original post by TheMeister
I really don't understand how people don't know how to pronounce Irish names like this - they're simple to understand, surely?

To someone who's never really been told how to pronounce Irish, or met many Irish people, it's not obvious at all that 'bh' is pronounced like the English 'v', or that 'se' makes a 'sh' sound. It's so different to English pronunciation! Someone who grew up speaking Irish and has never heard English spoken would probably struggle with English names too...
(edited 12 years ago)
Sinead
Reply 91
There was this girl who's surname was 'Turner' and in year 4 I thought it was 'Turnip'. We had a supply teacher and she asked me what her name was and I said "_____ Turnip" and she started crying. The teacher shouted at me.. I thought it was Turnip :'(
Reply 92
Dolce not dolche
Shloer not Shola
Abercombie and fitch not abercrombie and fitch
Reply 93
The surname, Ng. I always thought it was 'Nug' when it's actually 'ing'. Never had a problem with Nguyen.
Original post by medbh4805

My name is Gráinne - I've only once met an English person who pronounced it correctly the first go, and it was a philology tutor at Oxford. I was impressed. :colonhash:

How do you pronounce it?

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by aeterno

Spoiler

:wink:

Damn why did that not work? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FYUyz3F7rU

And as a teacher I come across difficult names all the time so have gotten used to just saying "How do you pronounce this name?" to people, with no embarrassment anymore. However it also means I learn a lot of these difficult names. Such as:

Yaiza = Jaifa
Aisling = Ashling

:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by aeterno

Spoiler

I must be a hero then...........:tongue:

EDIT: Too late :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by scriggy
And, Seen Bean? :ahee:

Seriously?
Reply 98
Original post by I<3GraphicNovels
My name is always being mispronounced - both first name and surname. Henriette Barthelme. I think my parents hate me.

It's 'On-reet (with a bit of a French accent) Bartle-may'.

Don't omit the accent from é and most people will probably pronounce your surname correctly :smile:
Original post by Lentils
Don't omit the accent from é and most people will probably pronounce your surname correctly :smile:

I've never spelled it with an accent but that's a good idea!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending