The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G484 Jan 2012 - The Newtonian World

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
can a swing in the park be an example of bad damping?..i,e yu can not continously swing unless a force is applied due to the damping effect? or am i jus goiin too in depth
Reply 181
Original post by shyro1000
Dreading this anyone got any notes to do a kind of summary

use this if its any help http://www.science-spark.co.uk/ks5/g484/index.html
If I was answering a question on when damping is a problem, I'd probably be inclined to mention a 'system' where more energy input would be required to maintain an oscillation/ vibration. Not sure exactly what I'm thinking of... but anything resistive like friction, could cause damping, right?

Not sure where I'm going with this :tongue:
Reply 183
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
If I was answering a question on when damping is a problem, I'd probably be inclined to mention a 'system' where more energy input would be required to maintain an oscillation/ vibration. Not sure exactly what I'm thinking of... but anything resistive like friction, could cause damping, right?

Not sure where I'm going with this :tongue:

Yup cos energy is transferred from the system as work done against friction in the form of heat :tongue:
Original post by wibletg
Yup cos energy is transferred from the system as work done against friction in the form of heat :tongue:

Or kinetic energy of other particles... example, an oscillation in water would transfer kinetic energy to water molecules.
Reply 185
Or kinetic energy of other particles... example, an oscillation in water would transfer kinetic energy to water molecules.

Surely that applies to solids too? :tongue:

Friction ----> Increase in KE of particles due to transference of heat between surfaces? (if we're really getting technical :wink: )
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by wibletg
Surely that applies to solids too? :tongue:

Friction ----> Increase in temperature due to transference of KE between particles? (if we're really getting technical :wink: )

Haha wasn't getting that technical... and it was only an example :tongue:

I was thinking back to the question on G481 the other week that asked where the kinetic energy of a meteor collision (or something similar :tongue: ) would transfer to. We were discussing what the correct answer would be, I put heat energy and kinetic energy of other particles... a lot put sound.

Has anyone lurking around here done many of the Mechanics modules in maths? Considering taking one/ some of them and wondered if anyone would mind telling me a bit about the content of them compared to physics, pretty please.
Reply 187

Has anyone lurking around here done many of the Mechanics modules in maths? Considering taking one/ some of them and wondered if anyone would mind telling me a bit about the content of them compared to physics, pretty please.

I can speak for OCR M1-3

M1 is things like inclined planes, simple momentum, simple pulley systems and friction. (inclined planes is in G481, momentum is in G484).

M2 is things like calculating centre of mass, power equations, moments, horizontal circular motion, coefficient of restitution (horizontal circular motion crops up in G484)

M3 has SHM (G484), Hookes law (G481), vertical circular motion (G484), differential motion equations, impulse, momentum in 2 directions.

All of the exam boards will have most of the above in their mechanics modules, and the maths is harder than the maths you see in Physics but it's still do-able :tongue:
Original post by aquark
Can anyone define critical damping?

The minimum amount of damping required, such that the system is returned to equilibrium in the shortest possible time
what's the exact definition of SHM because the marks schemes and books are confusing:
one says the acceleration is proportional to the displacement from equib position , acceleration is towards towards equib position.

the other : acceleration is proportional to displacement from equib position, acceleration is in the opposite direction to the midpoint
Reply 190
Original post by High VOLTAGE
what's the exact definition of SHM because the marks schemes and books are confusing:
one says the acceleration is proportional to the displacement from equib position , acceleration is towards towards equib position.

the other : acceleration is proportional to displacement from equib position, acceleration is in the opposite direction to the midpoint

i say acceleration is directly proportional to displacement from equilibrium position. The acceleration is directed towards the equilibrium position. Like a BOSS i always get it right :cool:

I think mid point is the max displacement... if so, it's the same thing.

I always put that acceleration's in the opposite direction to displacement as I understand it better than 'midpoint'
Original post by ebmaj7
State and explain:

A situation where the high value of the specific heat capacity of water is useful / unuseful.

Useful : hot water bottle, or central heating system?
Reply 193
Original post by ebmaj7
State and explain:

A situation where the high value of the specific heat capacity of water is useful / unuseful.

Useful - cooling systems. A high amount of energy can be absorbed by a small amount of water.

Unuseful - No idea...
Reply 194
Original post by ebmaj7
State and explain:

not useful = like your avatar - boiling the kettle - lots of energy must be supplied to raise the temperature to 100 C boiling point.

useful acts as a stable environment for organisms, allot of energy must be applied to raise the temperature of the environment(water) such as a pond which would otherwise alter organisms enzyme activity. This is a strange one i do biology...

Can someone confirm these are alright?
Original post by Ralphus J
i say acceleration is directly proportional to displacement from equilibrium position. The acceleration is directed towards the equilibrium position. Like a BOSS i always get it right :cool:

I think mid point is the max displacement... if so, it's the same thing.

I always put that acceleration's in the opposite direction to displacement as I understand it better than 'midpoint'

thanks guys, i am reassured now
you know for p1v1/t1 = p2v2/t2 you can use these without the p or v right?
Reply 197

What do you mean? If it say they are constant then you simply can cross them off, any of the 3 variables.

yeah, you can use p1/T1 = p2/T2 etc provided that the one that you're not using is constant.

If any of them are constant, then they would cancel out anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending