The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G484 Jan 2012 - The Newtonian World

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Jetblast
I did for maths yesterday :colondollar:

I wasn't awake cause I didn't know much, i'm actually quite confident of this exam. Just worried I might forget stuff

C3? that was a complete nightmare, think ive failed it :frown:
For a question where the gravitational potential energy of a pendulum was given on a graph and it asked you to draw the kinetic energy curve and total energy... I drew the total energy line straight through the middle :facepalm:
Reply 582
Original post by shorty.loves.angels
For a question where the gravitational potential energy of a pendulum was given on a graph and it asked you to draw the kinetic energy curve and total energy... I drew the total energy line straight through the middle :facepalm:

haha i did that question as a mock yesterday and was tempted to do the same, then I realised :smile:
Reply 583
One last question... what experiments do I need to know for the exam?
Reply 584
Does anyone have an idea of what could turn up on the exam
im feeling momentum and resonance/damping
Reply 585
Original post by singh224

SHC deff!
maybe conical pendulum?
Reply 586
Original post by rawr4more

I really wish you are true lol... I just don't want thermal physics to come up :P
Reply 587

an experiment that demonstrates Brownian motion and discuss the evidence for the movement of molecules provided by such an experiment:

Movement of smoke particles caused by being hit by randomly moving, different speed, air molecules
Smoke particles are constantly moving because the air particles are continuously moving
Smoke particles are visible but air molecules aren’t hence air molecules must be very small
Small movement of smoke particles is due to the large numbers of air molecules hitting from all sides

An electrical experiment to determine the specific heat capacity of a solid or a liquid:

Must show liquid in vessel with electrical heater with thermometer, ammeter and voltmeter
Measure mass of liquid, temperature change, values of I, V & t.
Rearrange E=mcΔθ
Identify uncertainties
Note ‘specific’ means ‘per unit mass’.

These are the only 2 listed in the spec i think but they can ask you to suggest others, like the angle against period one in june 11 or whenever it was
Original post by Stevo F
haha i did that question as a mock yesterday and was tempted to do the same, then I realised :smile:

Haha, it's so wrong in every possible way! How can total energy be less than ANY other energy on the graph.

I'm just hoping that most questions on the paper are the general ones that we've been going over, and if there is anything hard that I get stuck on then it's just the one... or maybe two, but where I can get most the marks!!

Might be panicking more than I need to - the module just seems to have got more confusing the more questions I've tried :tongue: I got enough marks for a C on the first practise paper I did WITHOUT revision... rarrrr.
Reply 589

Specific heat capacity - electric and non-electric version.

In a radio what is resonating?

also what is a free oscillation? just one with no external forces thus will gradually slow down due to friction?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 590

Ok then, describe the effect of damping on the resonant frequency of an object AND the gradient of the peaks and troughs of the graph. <-- Just made this 1 up on the spot :smile:
Reply 591
I really wish you are true lol... I just don't want thermal physics to come up :P

Oh thermal physics is a whore =/

are these the correct equations
i know mass=mrxmol cuz i do chemistry but i get a lil confused

is number of particles/atoms = Avo number x mol?
Original post by Stevo F
an experiment that demonstrates Brownian motion and discuss the evidence for the movement of molecules provided by such an experiment:

Movement of smoke particles caused by being hit by randomly moving, different speed, air molecules
Smoke particles are constantly moving because the air particles are continuously moving
Smoke particles are visible but air molecules aren’t hence air molecules must be very small
Small movement of smoke particles is due to the large numbers of air molecules hitting from all sides

An electrical experiment to determine the specific heat capacity of a solid or a liquid:

Must show liquid in vessel with electrical heater with thermometer, ammeter and voltmeter
Measure mass of liquid, temperature change, values of I, V & t.
Rearrange E=mcΔθ
Identify uncertainties
Note ‘specific’ means ‘per unit mass’.

These are the only 2 listed in the spec i think but they can ask you to suggest others, like the angle against period one in june 11 or whenever it was

Dude, what happend with the I and V in this experiment? I've not done G482, and although I'm vaguely familiar I could do with writing myself a quick mind map.

If I have to draw this I'm screwed as I don't even know what to do with the V.meter and A.meter :cry2:
Reply 593
Haha, it's so wrong in every possible way! How can total energy be less than ANY other energy on the graph.

I'm just hoping that most questions on the paper are the general ones that we've been going over, and if there is anything hard that I get stuck on then it's just the one... or maybe two, but where I can get most the marks!!

Might be panicking more than I need to - the module just seems to have got more confusing the more questions I've tried :tongue: I got enough marks for a C on the first practise paper I did WITHOUT revision... rarrrr.

Haha i did a mock with no revision, got a terrible mark, then did another mock again with no revision and got a good A, revised now too so will be an injustice if i dont get my A :/
Reply 594
Original post by Stevo F
Ok then, describe the effect of damping on the resonant frequency of an object AND the gradient of the peaks and troughs of the graph. <-- Just made this 1 up on the spot :smile:

damping decreases the amplitude, the heavier the damping the more it decreases as energy is lost to surroundings?
Reply 595
Can someone confirm these definitions are correct please

Latent heat of fusion - the energy required to melt a substance at constant temperature.

Latent heat of vaporization - the energy required to boil a substance at constant temperature.

Specific heat capacity - the energy required per unit mass of a substance to cause a raise in temperature of 1 K

Specific latent heat - the energy required per kilogram of substance to change its state at a constant temperature.
Oh thermal physics is a whore =/

are these the correct equations
i know mass=mrxmol cuz i do chemistry but i get a lil confused

is number of particles/atoms = Avo number x mol?

Yes. Because NA (Avogadros') is the number of particles in 1 mole.
How do you work out the no of collisions?
Just did another past paper and looks my marks are going down every time -___-
Reply 598
Dude, what happend with the I and V in this experiment? I've not done G482, and although I'm vaguely familiar I could do with writing myself a quick mind map.

If I have to draw this I'm screwed as I don't even know what to do with the V.meter and A.meter :cry2:

same. Though V is in parallel with the heater and the A meter is wherever else.
Reply 599
Original post by Ralphus J
Can someone confirm these definitions are correct please

Latent heat of fusion - the energy required to turn a solid into a liquid :melt:

Latent heat of vaporization - the energy required to turn a liquid into a gas :boil:

Specific heat capacity - the energy required per unit mass of a substance to cause a raise in temperature of 1 K

Specific latent heat - the energy required per kilogram of substance to change its state at a constant temperature.

I think thats it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending