The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G484 Jan 2012 - The Newtonian World

Scroll to see replies

Original post by just george
Vmax = when displacement is 0 (i.e. equilibrium point)

acceleration is 0 = when displacement is 0 (i.e. equilibrium point)

Potential energy is minimum = when displacement is 0 (i.e. equilibrium point)

I think for the Vmax one it would have to be an equilibrium point going from -ve to +ve though otherwise it would be Vmin?

This is what i did .. I put a cross where the displacement for the graph was zero .. but i did not put the cross on the X axis do you think they will mark me down for me .. have a look at the picture to get a better understanding
Original post by DavidMRoper
The unfunny moment when your mates tell you there was a 8 mark question 7 you missed. Not so funny when you have OCD, cried and ran off somewhere in the night to have your mum pick you up in a car. It's okay I'm calm- chilled, and I've worked out the power one was actually 4.32 sorry for my earlier statement of 2.16!

Do you think you could show your workings out to get that? i didnt really know how to do it and improvised and got around 3.4W :L
Reply 882
Do you think you could show your workings out to get that? i didnt really know how to do it and improvised and got around 3.4W :L

You assumed velocity was always vmax, which is incorrect.
Original post by wig44
You assumed velocity was always vmax, which is incorrect.

Thanks, i assumed that was wrong, but surely in that case the answer would have to be less than 3.4W as the mean velocity would have to be lower than Vmax..

edit: but actually surely mean velocity = 0 as its a vector quanity, so my calculation would get P = 0? now im confused :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 884
Paper went alright, praying i scrape a B at least.

Missed out the power question of the cone, and stupidly instead of finding acceleration of cone, i mis-read and found of max velocity FML!! For the greenhouse question i got temperature increase as 2.42, but converted it to Kelvins when I shouldn't have loool

Other than that it went kinda ok ...

What did people get for the mass of the hydrogen atom? I got 3x10 ^ -27 kg

It's quite simple.
In one oscillation, the mass travels 4 times the amplitude.
Times that by force
Times that by frequency.

I only did 2 times displacement- FACEPALM
Original post by H_Rattan
for the escape velocity i wrote that because of the random collisions of gas molecules..some atoms would have higher energies than others - and therefore some may have a velocity thats higher than the escape velocity....no idea if thats right, just throwing my answer out there!

I wrote something like that too, how some molecules collide with each other and ones with kinetic energy would be able to leave
Reply 887
A silly question... anybody else forget how to convert something into MEGA something?!!!
Original post by unknownperson
this is what i did .. I put a cross where the displacement for the graph was zero .. But i did not put the cross on the x axis do you think they will mark me down for me .. Have a look at the picture to get a better understanding

someone answer my ques
Reply 889
For the last questions i checked wid my teacher its that cuz u have that equation thats like 1/3pc^2 or summin n cuz C is an average speed other molecules have different speeds. Sorry for bad spellin im on ze iphone xD
Original post by EW11
A silly question... anybody else forget how to convert something into MEGA something?!!!

wouldnt that be /10^6
Original post by DavidMRoper
It's quite simple.
In one oscillation, the mass travels 4 times the amplitude.
Times that by force
Times that by frequency.

I only did 2 times displacement- FACEPALM

Hmm, i understand what youv done, that makes sense and is probably what they were wanting.. but im still not sure how the answer can be greater than mine, unless something in my workings is wrong before the point "Fv/2 = P"? because me using Vmax would get a value for P greater than it should be surely?
Original post by teachercol
Sometimes the examiners just set stupid questions - and sometimes the mark schemes are equally stupid.

For the simple harmonic question where it asked us to put a cross where the velocity was maximum .. it put a cross where the displacement for the graph was '0'. However, i didnt put the cross on the x axis do you think they can mark me down for it .. ive taken a picture of how i did it .. have a look at it and tell me if i wud lose a mark of not .. Have a look at the picture .. ive put the cross higher up do you think i will get a mark
Reply 893

Original post by EW11

Lol haha, yeah I would be one who did :P
Reply 894
Original post by UnknownPerson
someone answer my ques

theres no way of knowing i'm afraid, u'll just have to wait for the results for that one ^^
Reply 895
What did people put down for the question that asked you to state two reasons why the temperature change may not be as high... it was that greenhouse question.
Did anyone write, for the geostationary orbit one, that it's above the equator so it can transmit to anywhere in the world? Because if it was too up north, it wouldn't be able to transmit to the south due to the curvature of the earth.

Sounds stupid, but I had no idea about the answer.
What did you have to do with the question about the force and power (damping question). What actually did you have to find, the questions are starting to jumble in my head :/
Felt it was a good paper.

Think I've dropped quite a few marks though from silly mistakes. Didn't like that question about the loudspeaker cone (Think I've done Vmax not a) part ii was hard aswell, didn't have a clue.

Also dropped marks on the Why is the greenhouse temperature not as high one, the Helium escape velocity and geostationary orbits at the equator. Hoping for a B anyway
Reply 899
Anybody else multiply the force by the frequency by 4 times the amplitude and get 4.32 W??

Please say somebody did as above :P

And i can't remember if it was 18mm or 1.8mm in the question about the speaker now, anybody remember that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending