The Student Room Group

OCR Physics A G484 Jan 2012 - The Newtonian World

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by H_Rattan
i don't think they were to be honest - the first two were...but the last one was when potential energy is a minimum...isn't potential energy a minimum when the oscillation is at its lowest ie. at -0.4m?

ermmmm nooooo, they are all at the equilibrium position
Reply 921
Original post by Gould1610

I put about the heat being lost from the air to the surroundings, like the greenhouse walls, and I also said that the rate at which thermal energy is released by the soil, will diminish over the hour after the sun has gone down,

I'm quite confident with that, as I feel that's why they involved the phrase '12W immediately after sunset' in the question

Awwwhhh, that's brilliant! Shame I didn't think of it
Original post by H_Rattan
i don't think they were to be honest - the first two were...but the last one was when potential energy is a minimum...isn't potential energy a minimum when the oscillation is at its lowest ie. at -0.4m?

potential energy is lowest where heigh is lowest, AHHHHHHHHHH was it a pendulum or a spring ? DIDN'T THINK

AHH can I not find it or are we all still awating the answers :L ? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Moiraclaire
potential energy is lowest where heigh is lowest, AHHHHHHHHHH was it a pendulum or a spring ? DIDN'T THINK

Didn't matter, if you knew where KEmax (Vmax) was, then you know PEmin is in the same position
Answers posted in new thread.
Reply 925
Original post by teachercol
Answers posted in new thread.

Where is this thankyou teachercol
Original post by OllieReynolds
No, i thought 2 were on zero, but the max acceleration is at max displacement... because acceleration is proportional to displacement... so acceleration is zero at the equilibrium point... so the other point was at a max displacement point

Yeah that's what I thought too. :smile:
Original post by OllieReynolds
What did people get for the temperature increase of air by the soil in the greenhouse? I think i got something like 2.42 k

Yup, I got that too.
Original post by Languid-Anomie
Yeah that's what I thought too. :smile:

I had to read through those about 8 times to make sure I was thinking of the things :mad: I hate when they put a bunch of similar things together :tongue:
Reply 929
I put about the heat being lost from the air to the surroundings, like the greenhouse walls, and I also said that the rate at which thermal energy is released by the soil, will diminish over the hour after the sun has gone down,

I'm quite confident with that, as I feel that's why they involved the phrase '12W immediately after sunset' in the question

I put almost the exact same thing as you and my teacher was confident with the answer also. She immediately picked up on the '12W immediately after sunset' and said in reality the ground would cool and so the rate of energy transfer would decrease.

......I also put that the cooler air from outside would cool the greenhouse at the same time. I think I put plenty of points for two marks.

Overall the paper was fine, maybe lost about 3 or 4 marks but I'm fine with that.
after reading teachercools mark scheme i kick my self for not writing collision per unit time and for not talking about force.
But this is annoying i swear that question came up before and had different answers.
Reply 931
Original post by High VOLTAGE
after reading teachercools mark scheme i kick my self for not writing collision per unit time and for not talking about force.
But this is annoying i swear that question came up before and had different answers.

They are inconsistent with those types of Q iv'e noticed :frown:
Did anyone else think that that was quite a hard paper, in comparison to other papers?

I though there was a lot of wordy questions and not as many calculations involved which was a disappointment.
Original post by Beresford George
Did anyone else think that that was quite a hard paper, in comparison to other papers?

I though there was a lot of wordy questions and not as many calculations involved which was a disappointment.

YES! I hated some of the 1/2 mark awkward wordy questions :s
Original post by sweetascandy
YES! I hated some of the 1/2 mark awkward wordy questions :s

I though the paper was just strange, a lot of the calculations were fine, apart from that cone power one. But I think that the geostationary obits one was just weird, asking about the business aspect of it.

I think I dropped a lot of marks on those questions.
Reply 935

Yeah, I thought it was pretty bad in comparison to all the past papers I did.
All the wordy questions were terrible. I always have problems remembering exact definitions of stuff to the more wordy questions aren't my strong point!

I also lost a silly mark on the linear momentum question... I put mass x velocity. Then added 'in the direction of travel' on the end because I thought 'mass x velocity' didn't sound enough to get the mark. 1 silly mark gone :rolleyes:
Original post by Toshiya
Yeah, I thought it was pretty bad in comparison to all the past papers I did.
All the wordy questions were terrible. I always have problems remembering exact definitions of stuff to the more wordy questions aren't my strong point!

I also lost a silly mark on the linear momentum question... I put mass x velocity. Then added 'in the direction of travel' on the end because I thought 'mass x velocity' didn't sound enough to get the mark. 1 silly mark gone :rolleyes:

Ah. Im just hoping for an A!!!

But I guess that kinda slim!

I got all the proofs though :smile: So was kinda happy!!!
Reply 937
Ah. Im just hoping for an A!!!

But I guess that kinda slim!

I got all the proofs though :smile: So was kinda happy!!!

I'm sure you did fine!

I hope for an A too... after seeing the unofficial markscheme teachercol put up I'm slightly more convinced I did okay. There are just a few questions I either can't remember what I got or put similar and don't know if I would have got the marks for it. Depends on how lenient OCR's mark scheme and the person marking it is :tongue:
We'll see in March.

...why can't results day be now :colondollar:
Original post by Toshiya
I'm sure you did fine!

I hope for an A too... after seeing the unofficial markscheme teachercol put up I'm slightly more convinced I did okay. There are just a few questions I either can't remember what I got or put similar and don't know if I would have got the marks for it. Depends on how lenient OCR's mark scheme and the person marking it is :tongue:
We'll see in March.

...why can't results day be now :colondollar:

I know the feeling!!!! Really want to find out now. Im a little bit more convinced looking at the markscheme, but still dont want to be optimistic, as the OCR mark schemes can be soo horrible!!!!

Have you done any other exams?
Reply 939
I know the feeling!!!! Really want to find out now. Im a little bit more convinced looking at the markscheme, but still dont want to be optimistic, as the OCR mark schemes can be soo horrible!!!!

Have you done any other exams?

Yeah the OCR markschemes are stupidly specific.

Yeaaah, maths, M1 and C3. I have chemistry tomorrow, M2 on Friday, and FP1 on Monday.

I have fewer exams than this spread out over May and June in the summer, it's insane! You?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending