The Student Room Group

AS Philosophy Exam January 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheSelfAcknowleged
In terms of the ordering of the paragraph, this is pretty much what I did (I think at least - I may not be absolutely accurate in recalling them):

Introduction
Why our senses can derive all possible knowledge e.g. knowing your neighbour's door is red - non-trivial knowledge is derived a posteriori
If we had innate ideas, we'd all assent to it - which we don't, so there no innate ideas
Kant's argument on having innate knowledge of e.g. causality
How our minds augment it, therefore meaning it isn't innate

Why sensory experience could be facilitated by innate knowledge - Plato's argument about mathematical knowledge
Why this may not be purely cognitive, e.g. Meno's slaveboy could've had physical inferences from his environment e.g. one may abstract from a rock the idea of a perfect circle
But this process may be triggered by an innate recollection of the perfect shape e.g. a circle
Overall this is a compelling argument

Conclusion: Generally most ideas are derived a posteriori, but some, such as mathematical knowledge seems to be innate - so the claim is wrong.

I did it completely different:

Introduction: Assess Rationalism: A priori; Deductive; necessary e.t.c.

Mathematics: Rationalism: A priori e.t.c. Plato; numbers not from sense experience Empiricists: Relation of Ideas; logical abstraction from two sense impressions Hume tautology 7+5 another way of saying 12

Plato: Form:
Plato: Meno: Geometry: Slave boy
Phadeo: Sticks: Hume 'equality comes from sense experience'
Nietzsche: Metaphysical assertions based on one's viewpoint of the world

Descartes: Meditations
Mediation 1: Waves of doubt: Does not take doubt far enough: Wittgenstein Public Language theory
Meditation 2: Cogito ero sum: Ayer: Verifcation Principle

Leibniz: Veined Marble:

Locke: 1+1=2: Children not at stage of development: Attack Plato rather than Rationalism

Russell: 1+1=2 logical axioms

Innate Ideas: Do not know much of the world at all e.g. adding marbles in one hand and the other does not tell us anything about the concept of a marble.

Kant: Synthesis: Confusion: Quote

Conclusion: Kant: Absurd epistemological theory: Combine

I think I messed up :/
Original post by heartlesswhore
I did it completely different:

Introduction: Assess Rationalism: A priori; Deductive; necessary e.t.c.

Mathematics: Rationalism: A priori e.t.c. Plato; numbers not from sense experience Empiricists: Relation of Ideas; logical abstraction from two sense impressions Hume tautology 7+5 another way of saying 12

Plato: Form:
Plato: Meno: Geometry: Slave boy
Phadeo: Sticks: Hume 'equality comes from sense experience'
Nietzsche: Metaphysical assertions based on one's viewpoint of the world

Descartes: Meditations
Mediation 1: Waves of doubt: Does not take doubt far enough: Wittgenstein Public Language theory
Meditation 2: Cogito ero sum: Ayer: Verifcation Principle

Leibniz: Veined Marble:

Locke: 1+1=2: Children not at stage of development: Attack Plato rather than Rationalism

Russell: 1+1=2 logical axioms

Innate Ideas: Do not know much of the world at all e.g. adding marbles in one hand and the other does not tell us anything about the concept of a marble.

Kant: Synthesis: Confusion: Quote

Conclusion: Kant: Absurd epistemological theory: Combine

I think I messed up :/

I think you overdid it a bit with the definitions at the beginning; I don't know if Kant is relevant though. By no means have you messed it up! I think you've made some very relevant points, it's just some of it may be irrelevant. As long as you've answered the question throughout, I'd imagine it'd be fine. I hope mines OK :\
Original post by Amwazicles
I conflicted it with immanence o_O I said about being present in a particular place conflicting with existing outside of time.

Yeah I think you're right; I think I wrongly chose transcendence :s-smilie: I talked about this with someone else, and she thought immanence would've been more appropriate.
Yeah I think you're right; I think I wrongly chose transcendence :s-smilie: I talked about this with someone else, and she thought immanence would've been more appropriate.

You'll probably still get marks for knowledge and appropriate examples. :smile:
Original post by Amwazicles
You'll probably still get marks for knowledge and appropriate examples. :smile:

It was only half a page :\
I outlined the term 'eternal' in about 5 lines; then the problem in about 5, too. I advertently didn't spend long on it, due to the fact I didn't know what to put.

I remember saying in the 'outline' paragraph, that he isn't restricted to any time period, because if he is, then he won't be able to exercise his attributes at any given time. I said the problem is that it conflicts with transcendence, because if he's going to exist within time, then he can't exist outside of the universe; it's one or the other (e.g. within or outside of the world).

How many marks would you approximate I'd get for a 10 line answer, with those points?
(edited 12 years ago)
I didnt like question A for reason and experience. ugh
Reply 86
Original post by aznboytomle
I didnt like question A for reason and experience. ugh

Me either...that was the one that will probably completely mess up my grade :/...
It was only half a page :\
I outlined the term 'eternal' in about 5 lines; then the problem in about 5, too. I advertently didn't spend long on it, due to the fact I didn't know what to put.

I remember saying in the 'outline' paragraph, that he isn't restricted to any time period, because if he is, then he won't be able to exercise his attributes at any given time. I said the problem is that it conflicts with transcendence, because if he's going to exist within time, then he can't exist outside of the universe; it's one or the other (e.g. within or outside of the world).

How many marks would you approximate I'd get for a 10 line answer, with those points?

I'm not really sure to be honest, I have appallingly over- and under-estimated my own mark on various mocks over the months, so I'm not a very reliable source. :erm: The best (although probably cliched and irritating) advice is just to forget about it. Nothing can be done at least until you find out how you did, when you can decide if you want to resit or anything, other than that, the deed is over so you may as well concentrate on a fresh start, new topics and doing well in the next exam. :smile:
Reply 88
I did Governed as my second choice.

Thought R+E was fine, though with hindsight, don't think I was as precise as I should have been with the 15 mark question. The 30 mark question was fine, and ended up not getting all my points down because of the amount of discussion I got from my other points. Took me 50 minutes to do, instead of 45, which ended up being a crucial 5 minutes..

Governed was okay, though I struggled with the 30 mark question a bit. Then, with 5 minutes to go, I thought of a really good argument, but didn't have enough time to go into enough detail about it - those extra 5 minutes spent on R+E really killed me for the 30 mark Governed. I thought the 15 mark question looked nasty at first, but then once I started, I was fine.

Should get an A grade this time, which was exactly what I wanted. :biggrin:
For the 'eternity' of God I talked about temporal indexed truths; such as knowing the following statements: Arsenal will win the Cup / Arsenal have won the Cup. This contradicts divine attributes, such as Omniscience and immutability (God would be within time, conflicting with the 'timeless' notion of God).
For introspection and tautologies I suggested that introspection leads to a degree of Solipsism, or 'personal mind'. You can't establish certainty in the world, so what's the point? Hume implies a priori reason has nothing to do with reality..etc. Tautologies are pointless; they say nothing, just assert a 'correlation of ontology'. The significance is that philosophical certainty becomes more wordy derdy blah blah blah.
Original post by sosotalk
I liked the reason and experience questions.

I did the idea of god and got mixed up with the meanings of 'eternal' and 'everlasting' DOH! :facepalm:

Oh god, you too? I was unsure but I checked after the exam and by lucky chance I was right :smile: sorry to hear that
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by heartlesswhore
Introspection = A priori: Tautological = Analytic
Reference both to certainty

Oh yeah, got this right too by lucky chance :biggrin: was like intro=inside? inside=innate? innate=rationalism/analytic/a priori truths?

Should've revised more but :borat:
Reply 92
Original post by divina commedia
Oh yeah, got this right too by lucky chance :biggrin: was like intro=inside? inside=innate? innate=rationalism/analytic/a priori truths?

Should've revised more but :borat:

I thought introspection related to Descartes' cogito ergo sum. :/
Original post by sosotalk
I thought introspection related to Descartes' cogito ergo sum. :/

You're most likely right.
Like most people here I managed to realise tautological as analytic but I completely flopped the Introspection bit but oh well as long as I don't loose any other marks should be able to get a B maybe?

Anyone do the why should I be governed questions? If so what did you put roughly?

think the question was like Outline and identify one criticism of legitamacy being down to popular approval or something??

and secondly, 'Non-violent protest is only right if justified' Discuss. Or something along those lines lol, quite can't remember. My brains on overload after 2 exams today.
Reply 95
Reason and experience wasn't great, part (a) was a bit confusingly worded.. oh well hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower. Part (b) was ok, probably didn't flesh it out enough but oh well.

Anyone do why should i be moral? Pretty good questions I thought :smile:
Reason and experience was terrible for me, I think out of everything we hadn't been taught the meaning of tautological and introspection, not a single person in my class was able to answer the first question on that part :/ I thought the B question for R&E was okay though!

Did anybody do the Idea of God? I chose Transcendence to conflict with Eternal, but I think I might have messed that up, can't be too certain. I can't even remember what I did for the thirty marker 0_e
sounds like grade boundaries for Reason and Experience part 1 are deffinately gonna go down!
Original post by millie-rose
sounds like grade boundaries for Reason and Experience part 1 are deffinately gonna go down!

Certainly seems like it, doesn't it? I hope it does; I think quite a few people were thrown off by the A question on Reason and Experience!
Original post by millie-rose

Let's hope so! :tongue:

Original post by Natterina
Certainly seems like it, doesn't it? I hope it does; I think quite a few people were thrown off by the A question on Reason and Experience!

I agree. When I turned the paper over I nearly panicked at the words being something completely unexpected. But when I got my head together, I just turned the question into "Outline a priori analytic truths" in my head, and then carried on from there :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending