The Student Room Group

are condoms enough?

all the contraceptive pills i've tried so far have made me really sick, and i'm
adamant that i don't want to try a more permanent/long-term alternative e.g. coil, implant or the injection (which my doctor keeps trying to force on me), because i'm concerned about the side-effects, and i also dislike the idea of interrupting/interferring with my body's natural cycles and processes. as long as i'm using condoms when i have sex, is another form of contraception necessary? condoms are supposed to be 98% effective and that's good enough for me, but my mum is so horrified by the thought of me becoming pregnant that she keeps nagging me to use additional protection. is she overreacting? is it safe for me to rely on condoms alone?
She is not overreacting, most pple who get pregnant have supposedly used a condom and became pregnant "accidently"- I'd follow your doctor's advice. :smile:
Reply 2
Don't just use a condom- it can break easily and you'll be sorry Use the condom AND the pill, it's the only way.

Condoms are not that reliable.
Agreed condoms are about as safe as not using anything at all realistically.
And anyway, do you really want a lifetime of that passion-killer? =/
Original post by Anonymous

Passion killer, not if you want sleepless nights from bawling babies:mad:
True, but another thing I'll mention is that the implant thing that they put in your womb is actually just a metal t-shaped thing that prevents pregnancy by 'being' there and doesn't stop your natural body clock at all (except periods may be slightly heavier) it's not hormone based like pills of the implant in the arm.

That could be an option?
Reply 6
Condoms have about a 98% sucess rate if they are used correctly.

Personally I feel better using both, however if you're finding it really difficult to find the right pill then it seems the best option - certainly better than not using anything! Also they protect against STI's as well as pregnancy.

Which pills have you tried because there are LOADS! It may be that you need the PoP or a different type of Combined.
I also wouldn't want any of the other long term options so I know where you are coming from.
The coil/implant seems like a horrible idea, but if that's the most palitable option to you and you'd feel better about it then look into it.
(edited 12 years ago)
True, but another thing I'll mention is that the implant thing that they put in your womb is actually just a metal t-shaped thing that prevents pregnancy by 'being' there and doesn't stop your natural body clock at all (except periods may be slightly heavier) it's not hormone based like pills of the implant in the arm.

That could be an option?

That's the coil/IUD. I'm looking into getting that myself. It lasts for 5-10 years and once it's in you can basically just forget about it.
It seems that people know a lot about contraceptives...:rolleyes:
Reply 9
The implant (as in, the one in your arm, not an IUS/IUD) has a lower dose of hormone than other contraceptives and can be removed at any time. If you don't like it, have it taken out, if it's fine then you're sorted for three years. You may as well give it a go because hormonal contraception is more effective than condoms (when used correctly, and it's pretty damn hard to use the implant incorrectly!) and surely that's a good thing?

You speak about interfering with your body's processes and such, but I bet you're willing to use painkillers, eat chocolate, and a whole bunch of other stuff which also alters your body chemistry.
Yes, so long as you use them correcly

Saying that, the copper coil contains no hormones that will mess up your cycle so its a good alternative to hormonal long term contraceptives
Also, consider the contraceptive patch, stick it on for a week at a time, the contraceptive goes straight into your bloodstream via your skin and nowhere near your stomach so might not make you sick
Reply 11
Original post by teh_niarr
You speak about interfering with your body's processes and such, but I bet you're willing to use painkillers, eat chocolate, and a whole bunch of other stuff which also alters your body chemistry.

actually i do neither of these things (and i'm tee total)... just sayin' :tongue:
Condoms are one of the least effective forms of contraception although they normally fail because they're out of date and dried up or not put on properly.

The plus side of only using a condom as apposed to only taking the pill is that you know when it's failed, with the pill it mgiht be too late before you realise but you can take the MAP if a condom splits. Although the chances of a condom splitting and the pill not working on that particular day are tiny.

Original post by navarre
Don't just use a condom- it can break easily and you'll be sorry Use the condom AND the pill, it's the only way.

Condoms are not that reliable.
If they broke easily and weren't that reliable noone would use them, they're about 98% reliable which means out of every hundred you use, on average, 2 will break or whatever, but even then you're not guaranteed to get pregnant, some people have to try for years before getting pregnant.

More like a lifetime of possibly getting infections . . . Like I said, condoms are 98% reliable . . . a lot more than 0% . . .
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Used correctly, a condom will be all you need. Just make sure your partner is using a condom that is the right size for him, because if he uses a condom that is too big or too small, then you could experiance problems - a sexual health clinic should be able to give him some condoms to try if he has a problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending