The Student Room Group

Vegetarians who eat fish are confused.

Scroll to see replies

My pesecetarian friend calls herself veggie to other people because a lot of people don't know the word 'pescetarian' and get more confused when you use it than the term 'vegetarian who eats fish'.

Still. She's a pescetarian because she thinks that, like, cows and pigs are born and raised to die, but fish aren't, usually (fish farms are an exceptions). That's why she eats the fish but not the other meat.
Reply 21
I don't really understand this as fish are actually killed in a more horrific way that other animals. So surely it would make more sense to eat a steak than eat a fish that has suffocated to death :/ Thats what I've always thought and a few of my vegetarian friends.
I can give a simple answer as to why some people are "vegetarians" that eat fish and that's because they don't know of the word to describe themselves.

a child will likely know the meaning of "vegiterian" but never herd of "Pescetarianism"

I know this because I was such a person.
The actual reasons for why you chose not to eat meat may vary greatly. My reasons were because the school cooked better vegiterian food due to smaller quantities and the food spent less time spent sitting under the hot lamps. The school also seem to put more effort into cooking vegiterian food and so the flavour was better. I ate fish there because we had a fish farm at school and I caught my own.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you don't eat meat but eat fish then you don't eat meat but eat fish. That's how I describe myself. I don't eat meat because I don't like it but I do like fish, so I eat it. There's not point trying to convince yourself you're a veggie!
Original post by redferry
Neither is a chicken...

OK, a fish is generally not considered cute, intelligent or like a 'pet'!

Thankyou
Reply 25
I KNOW! And egg ! I just don't understand :s-smilie:
Also my opinion is whether true or not is that seaford and fish have a lower awareness of being alive than say a cow.

I would happily kill a prawn with no hesitation
no chance I would ever kill a cow..

could you kill a cow and gut it..?
Reply 27
Original post by Alexandra's Box
OK, a fish is generally not considered cute, intelligent or like a 'pet'!

Thankyou

Goldfish are pets...
21st. Century.....
Vegetarians who eat fish are called pescetarians, or vegequarians (geddit? :tongue:)

However, in the sort of context where you need to get over what you don't eat (e.g. when being catered for), it can be a lot easier just to state that you're a vegetarian - stating 'pescetarian' gets a lot of blank looks / not understanding what it is and therefore ignoring it altogether. Much simpler just to say vegetarian, just so you get something you can eat, even though you know that you are, in reality, a pescetarian.
Reply 30
You're confusing vegetarians who are vegetarians for ethical reasons, and all vegetarians. Not all vegetarians are vegetarians for the same reason, and eating fish may be either consistent or inconsistent with those reasons.
Original post by Abc1234x
I KNOW! And egg ! I just don't understand :s-smilie:

Why don't vegetarians eat egg? :s-smilie:
Reply 32
Original post by almasy
...you complain about fish but you'll eat cheese?
you're just as bad!

lol, it was either cheese or nothing and I was hungry:colondollar:

Original post by kerily
I'd have been worried that the cheese wasn't vegetarian, myself :no: Lots of cheese is, but some isn't (particularly hard cheeses) and it is well worth checking.

:eek: wow I didn't know that, I guess its to late to worry about that now xD
Original post by redferry
Goldfish are pets...

Yeah, I know, but nobody actually cares about them do they? They just flush them down the toilet when they die.
It's not like a chicken, or cow, which are often loved/cared about a little more...
I was "vegetarian" when it came to school trips and the like. Made every thing a lot easier, considering that there weren't any halal options available, so I just had the vegetarian option

^ I put down vegetarian, as usually the people who wouldn't/couldn't eat meat got first pick so if I put down no requirements, then I'd be left with nothing
Original post by marcusfox
Well, I think it's just because humans can't detect the piteous chemical screams of plants as they're being murdered.

Instead of moralising about other people's supposedly cruel diets, why not just enjoy the diet you choose, after all, it's your choice and no one else's. It needs no justification.

So damned true. Plants are just as alive as animals. Just because they don't move much or make any noise doesn't make them worthy of any less moral consideration.
Original post by AliceStrawbs
If you don't eat meat but eat fish then you don't eat meat but eat fish. That's how I describe myself. I don't eat meat because I don't like it but I do like fish, so I eat it. There's not point trying to convince yourself you're a veggie!

this is very true but at school and in life you must label yourself as something
eg on an aeroplane you must tell them what you can eat.
halal , kosher, vegan etc

and if you don't know what to call yourself which is very common people say vegterian
Original post by TLK
Yeah it can be annoying. On a school trip of mine I put down I was a vegetarian and I was surprised when they gave a tuna sandwich O.o at lunch time. So I had to share a cheese sandwich with a teacher lol.

That reminds me of the time my friend accidentally gave a Muslim friend a ham sandwich, and never having tasted ham before, wanted to know what it was because it was quite delicious.

Years ago, one of my mates was asian, family originally from Pakistan. They were practising, but not hardcore Muslims. One night we were headed out for a Chinese and his mum explained that they observed the Islamic taboo on eating pork and pork products.

"You must never let my son eat pork, because if it passes his lips he will not be able to enter heaven."

So yeah, fair enough, we respected his beliefs and passed on the sweet and sour pork and my mate still gets to meet Allah.

Months later, we were round at one of the other guy's houses and he'd made some sandwiches for us. Ham sandwiches.

I didn't even think of the whole pork angle until he took a bite and asked Steve, who'd made the sandwiches what it was as it was the best thing he had ever tasted. Steve said it was honey roast ham.

He looked up in horror and said "I'm eating pig?" I can't be eating pig!"? Steve sees his face and instantly twigs, hurriedly tells him that he was kidding and it was actually "specially seasoned beef". He seemed to be cool with this, and was in raptures over the taste.

So Mrs Shahid, if Amir doesn't get in to heaven, you can blame it on Steve.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe

Still. She's a pescetarian because she thinks that, like, cows and pigs are born and raised to die, but fish aren't, usually (fish farms are an exceptions). That's why she eats the fish but not the other meat.

I don't exactly understand that point of view. I mean I understand the dislike of intensive farming. But say a group of free-range chickens with plenty of space. They're living a rather natural life, albeit without the natural risks of predation a wildfowl would have. Yes they're killed by us, but it's less painful then being eaten alive and frankly, the chicken isn't going to care which predator consumes it. They get a comparatively better time of it in a farm situation.

I assume she checks if fish are from farms then? You'd have to be careful, especially at the likes of restaurants or processed foods which contain fish as they often don't state the source. Salmons a big one..a lot is farmed. Then prawns..I work at a supermarket..I know all our frozen prawns are from farmed sources, mainly Vietnam, I'd assume other supermarkets are similar.
Reply 39
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Yeah, I know, but nobody actually cares about them do they? They just flush them down the toilet when they die.
It's not like a chicken, or cow, which are often loved/cared about a little more...

No-one keeps a chicken or a cow in their house...
In fact surely no-one bar farmers keep cows? Cows are a lot further removes from pets than fish are.

Quick Reply

Latest