The Student Room Group

How far away is your uni from your hometown?

Scroll to see replies

524 miles driving. yeah...
Reply 21
Just over 500 miles. More or less the length of the UK, since I'm from Sussex and my uni is in Scotland :smile:
My uni is on the other side of my hometown (uni is in south east London, home is in west London) but with how the tube/trains and traffic goes it takes about two hours to get to my halls.
200 miles, about 3 1/2 hours
Reply 24
39 miles or 37 minutes by train
Canterbury to Gravesend
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
London to Hull - 200 miles. 4ish hours driving and 3 hours. The journey from Hull to London takes 2.5 but then I have to get the overground line.

last semester I went home 2 times exluding christmas... same with this semester though. I get free travel though so I can go home whenever.
Reply 26
I live in northern Ireland and I'm going to uni in edinburgh :smile: so its just over 200 miles :smile:
My Firm choice is Nottingham, which is about 80.5 miles away
'Home' is the West of Ireland and I came to Edinburgh for uni. I used to have to get a flight to Dublin and then have a 3 hour drive down but now there's a flight to an airport 20 minutes from home :smile: I used to go home about 3 times a year I think and Mum and Dad would come over once or twice. I probably could have gone home more but tbh I didn't like home that much so...
Reply 29
511 miles or 8 hours by car
Living in Sherborne, Dorset, but next year I'll be away at Winchester which is about 75-80 miles-ish?
About 30 miles.
Half an hours drive if I speed and there's no traffic.
An hours drive if there's a bit of traffic.

I don't live at home though, I live at uni.
About 500 miles, from Winchester to St Andrews. It takes anywhere between 7-10 hours on the train depending on changes and I can get train tickets for about £30 with a railcard if I book early enough :smile:

I generally only go home for the holidays but I speak to my mum every few days, so it's not too bad! Also I've met people here from Brasil, Hong Kong, all over the place so I can't really complain about coming from the other side of the country! :smile:
I'm about 180 miles away and it's usually a 4 hour car journey as a lot of the roads are single carriage A-roads as opposed to the motorway. I live at the tip of the Cumbrian peninsula and go to uni in Edinburgh. If I take the train to Kendal it takes two hours and then there's another 1 hour car journey after that. Or I can go all the way down to Lancaster and then back up the Barrow line which adds another 1 hour 20 minutes to the train time not including changeover :smile:. It's not too bad. My parents can drive there and back in one day or get the train for a day trip and it's a lovely journey to do so it doesn't feel like four hours.
120 miles, and about 2 and a half hours by car.
A couple of hours.
Reply 36
Like 20 minutes away.
Reply 37
About 3-4 hours by car, and similar with a combination of trains and buses. Last term I didn't go home until the Christmas holidays. This term I went home once for the weekend, and I'll go back at Easter.
Reply 38
~ 1000 miles. no jokes, I live in Italy :tongue:
5.5 hour train journey.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending