The Student Room Group

How far away is your uni from your hometown?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I am about 2/2+half hours away by car. Which for me is an ideal distance away. I feel I can go home at weekends on the train if need be but also I'm not too close, and I feel I am far enough away to feel independent from home.
Reply 101
I'm at Hull which is about an hour and a half/ two hours away from my hometown in N Yorks. This year though I have been on a placement year in London so I am like a 5 hour drive away and I have been pretty homesick, I think maybe's it's more a psychological thing that if I am feeling homesick I can't just pop home like I could at Hull though.
It depends how much of a homebird you are, I have friends who went all the way to Aberdeen or Brighton and I think the fact they went to far away meant they had to settle down as going home wasn't an option all the time.
Reply 102
450 miles.

Hour and a half on the train then an hour's flight.
About 5 hours drive.
I'm about seven hours away from home by car. I'm not too bothered by the distance because I was only ever planning on coming home at Christmas/Easter/summer anyway. Hopefully, I'll find some people who can stand my company and I won't be too lonely.
Reply 105
About 2 and a half hours, so not too far!
An hours flight and an hour on the train. Pain in the balls to move all my stuff over.
Original post by sammy93
Sorry if this questions been asked before. Was just wondering how far away your hometown is from your university? I would love to go to university in Ireland or Scotland, but I don't know if I would regret not being able to come home regularly. So if you go to university a long way away, do you regret it? How often do you go home? And how much does it cost you?

It really depends on your personality. Some people enjoy having their family within travelling distance and like to return home periodically; others don't care if they see their family during term time or not.

It is hard to judge what you personally will feel comfortable with before you go as quite often its a completely new experience for most people. Visiting the university is good because you get a sense of just what distance it is and the transport links so you can feel if that is comfortable for you.

Cost is something to consider even if you only go home at the end of each term because Britain is terrible for train fares etc.... you can cut these costs down with a railcard and booking early however.

:smile:
a 20 minute drive. First Uni was around 70/80 miles though :smile:
Original post by Soph.Jade
a 20 minute drive. First Uni was around 70/80 miles though :smile:

How did your interview go? Good news?:smile:

Posted from my Galaxy note
2 hours away

Original post by shanghaichica
How did your interview go? Good news?:smile:

Aw thank you for asking :smile:
It's tomorrow (sooo nervous) either way, shall be in Cardiff somewhere. Hope you are well
Reply 112
Probably an hour's drive at the most - I'm going to Manchester, but I live in Dewsbury (near Leeds). I'm really pleased with it because I won't have a lot of money to spend on travel, but this way I can get home on the train in less than an hour for less than £10 :smile: (and I'd like to visit my family every now and then)
About 7 hours, roughly 600 miles.
Reply 114
An old mate who i used to go to primary school with goes to Aberdeen and his parents live in Penzance
Reply 115
Original post by i.am.lost
It's an hour and a half drive - I live in west London and study in Cambridge. When I visit home during term time it takes me 45 minutes to get to Central London by train (WHY IS CAMBRIDGE STATION SO OUT OF TOWN THOUGH!!) and then approximately the same amount on the Underground to get home, costing me about £25 all in all so it's not too bad at all.

For me I couldn't really spend a whole term without going to London. I have stuff timetabled here 7 days a week so it really feels like a prison most of the time and I need that escape every few weeks. Plus I'm in a relationship with a Londoner so it's brilliant that we don't have to be apart the whole time.

Hah! shame! :tongue: If you live in North London it's incredibly easy to get to Cambridge because not only does the A10 run straight through but the Cambridge train stops in North London (Finsbury Park and Tottenham Hale). I don't go to Cambridge though :sad:
Around 300 miles (Aberystwyth) and around a 4-5 hour car journey :tongue:
Reply 117
269 miles.... a 5 hour drive up north. Kind of exciting in that it does guarantee almost complete independence, but.... scary! I do have some family who live about an hour away though, so I'm still supported :rolleyes:
Reply 118
Currently live in london, gonna live in manchester.
Reply 119
230 miles ish

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending