The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Electives at Leeds?

Hey guys - something I've been wondering for a while....

So I'm firming Leeds for 2013 Politics and Parliamentary Studies. I know you get 1 or 2 elective modules in the course.
I'm doing french for A2 and am very reluctant to give it up - can I continue it from A2 standard or are the elective languages only taught from scratch?

Any help with my query would be much appreciated :3
There are different levels- this link shows you the different French courses available :smile:

http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/modulesearch.asp?L=UG&Y=201112&F=M&E=all&N=all&S=french&A=any

(In the Foreign Language Teaching Unit bit)
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Alexandra289
There are different levels- this link shows you the different French courses available :smile:

http://webprod1.leeds.ac.uk/catalogue/modulesearch.asp?L=UG&Y=201112&F=M&E=all&N=all&S=french&A=any

(In the Foreign Language Teaching Unit bit)

You're a star! Thank you so much :biggrin:
Reply 3
There are lots of different levels - you'll go for Advanced French most likely. Be careful about balancing your credits as I took a 2 semester language course and split my credits 50/70 and I'm now regretting it slightly :P
Reply 4
Original post by Muffinz
There are lots of different levels - you'll go for Advanced French most likely. Be careful about balancing your credits as I took a 2 semester language course and split my credits 50/70 and I'm now regretting it slightly :P

How do you mean? I'm not sure I understand elective credits fully!
Reply 5
Original post by Georgiana1605
How do you mean? I'm not sure I understand elective credits fully!

Okay so in total you have 120 credits (essentially reflecting hours of classes) for a year. Your degree programme will take a large chunk out of this: for English, I had to take 4 20 credit modules (80 credits), which left me 40 credits of electives.

Modules are assigned credits according to how many hours a semester they take.

20 Credits semester 1 module = 200 hours in one semester (don't worry, most of this is independent study and an exagerration)
20 Credits semester 2 module = 200 hours in one semester
20 Credits Semester 1&2 module = 200 hours spread over 2 semesters
10 credits semester 1 module = 100 hours in one semester
10 credits semester 2 module = 100 hours in one semester

So, ideally, you'll have 60 credits worth of classes in semester one and 60 in semester 2, making your workload equal.

Quick Reply

Latest