The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

The Jumbo "Which College" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KeepItSecret
I'm assuming you live in townhouse accommodation, apologies if i'm barking up the wrong tree!
I was wondering whether you knew how they decide who shares bathrooms in townhouse accommodation? Is it same sex sharing or could it be unisex sharing?

I don't live in a townhouse so I'm not 100% on this, but I think I remember being told that you share a bathroom with one other person, and that person is the same sex as you.
I could be wrong, and if I am someone who lives in a townhouse should correct me, but I'm sure I remember being told that...
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by minimarshmallow
I don't live in a townhouse so I'm not 100% on this, but I think I remember being told that you share a bathroom with one other person, and that person is the same sex as you.
I could be wrong, and if I am someone who lives in a townhouse should correct me, but I'm sure I remember being told that...

Okay, thanks very much :smile:
haven't read through all the replies on here but just firmed Lancaster and now need to start thinking about which college/accommodation to go for! I play a fair bit of sport and don't want anything too quiet... but all of the current students i spoke to at the open day tried to persuade me that their college was the best! Have read/been told that Fylde is good for sport, but also heard good things about County and Grizedale as well. In terms of room I think i'm going to go for en suite. What do people recommend?! Course is Biological Sciences if that makes a difference. Thanks!
Reply 63
I'm defending Cartmel: we go on more trips to Manchester and Liverpool etc on nights out, your part of south-west that makes you far healthier than the other colleges from just the walk to lectures, we have the best symbol (obviously a hill furness? and fylde a windmill?) and to be fair with price all colleges are going up. So the only bad point is the bar but just go to Grizedale if your ever on campus going out and you'll be fine.

Up the Gryphon, Live the Dream Live Cartmel and all that.
Original post by TomSwall
I'm defending Cartmel: we go on more trips to Manchester and Liverpool etc on nights out, your part of south-west that makes you far healthier than the other colleges from just the walk to lectures, we have the best symbol (obviously a hill furness? and fylde a windmill?) and to be fair with price all colleges are going up. So the only bad point is the bar but just go to Grizedale if your ever on campus going out and you'll be fine.

Up the Gryphon, Live the Dream Live Cartmel and all that.

I love Windmills!
But yeah, there's nothing wrong with any college really, it's all just what you prefer.
Reply 65
Original post by Ladyliesel
Hi! I've been offered a place at Lancaster and I'm pretty certain that I'm going to accept. I've been trying to look up the colleges but I'm not sure where to apply for accommodation. I hoped anyone already there would have a better insight into what they're like.

I'm going to be studying history. I have to be honest I'm not much of a sporty person or a drinker (I'm such a party pooper I know :wink:)However, I’m happily looking to get involved quizzes, fancy dress, etc.

pendle does fancy dress :biggrin: x
Reply 66
Original post by barneybewick
haven't read through all the replies on here but just firmed Lancaster and now need to start thinking about which college/accommodation to go for! I play a fair bit of sport and don't want anything too quiet... but all of the current students i spoke to at the open day tried to persuade me that their college was the best! Have read/been told that Fylde is good for sport, but also heard good things about County and Grizedale as well. In terms of room I think i'm going to go for en suite. What do people recommend?! Course is Biological Sciences if that makes a difference. Thanks!

heyyyy, im going for ensuite :smile: i think anyone is going to say their college is the best, clearly! go for what suits your personality, myself, i think pendle or grizedale, because they're social but not too social like county! xxx
Original post by Bjcross
pendle does fancy dress :biggrin: x

That's part of what's drawn me to Pendle. It looks a bit different.:smile:
Reply 68
hey everyone ive received a conditional acceptance to lancaster law and social science foundation year course i've been reading on these forums about the different colleges and accommodations and ive decided on the following to choose from County, Furness, Fylde, Pendle, Grizedale. but i also wanted to go for catered accommodation so which one of these offers catering? thanx in advance P.S: im aiming for ba politics with international relations when im done with my foundation mybe bowland btw im aiming for standard bed rooms
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 69
Hello, guys.

Not sure if I am using the write word, but when I mean halls, I mean like Furness/Cartmel/Bowland.

Basically I am looking for the place with the best "party/student" atmosphere. The one with the best community and overall feel about the place. I understand that most of you will think that the location in which you live will be as a good as you want it to be, however, I was just wondering if there were any suggestions as to what, again, has the best community and party/student vibe to it. Even if your suggestions are what places to steer clear of, they'd all be welcomed and appreciated!

So, any suggestions?

Thanks!
To be honest, every college has party animal members. And every college has members who are a little quieter and have different interests. The colleges are a real mixture of people and opportunities. As such, all have a bar, all have drink [and non-drink] based socials and all have people who will make full of them both lol.

Lonsdale has a "party" reputation as their bar is the most club-like. But, the members of the college are constantly changing - it is not fixed and thus some years might see it have a greater 'party' atmosphere than others... Obviously, all have a student atmosphere. After all, they are full of students. :P

Everyone will tell you their own college is the best. I certainly feel no different. I loved being a part of Furness and I felt it offered a good balance of opportunities. For the party-minded, we have 15 hour bar crawls!
Reply 71
Bowland seems to be pretty damn good (coming from a Grizedalian)...if you want mad parties all the time then (h)Ash House is the place to go. Cheapest accommodation on campus too.
Reply 72
Go for a college on the main campus part i.e. not south west like Lonsdale and Cartmel as they are further away from the rest of the colleges. The County Townhouses seem quite partyish, as there are 12 of you in the house. And you have neighbours on each side so partys in each others houses are common. They are quite nice buildings as well, and they are all in a square, but they are non-ensuite.

I'm in Furness Superior ensuite as it is pretty good. I love my flatmates and we always have a good time when we go out. There are two flats on each floor so it is up to you to make friends with other flats.
Reply 73
I'm Fylde and I would immediately say Bowland. Some of the best nights of my life are with that lot.
Reply 74
Does anybody know what the Grizedale townhouses are like, both in terms of being a nice place to live and social-wise/having a fun atmposhere?
Original post by Bjcross
heyyyy, im going for ensuite :smile: i think anyone is going to say their college is the best, clearly! go for what suits your personality, myself, i think pendle or grizedale, because they're social but not too social like county! xxx

Thanks! think i'm going to go for Fylde because of the sport but not sure about my second choice... out of interest what course are you doing? and did that have any influence on your accommodation choice?
thanks for replying! x
Reply 76
Original post by barneybewick
Thanks! think i'm going to go for Fylde because of the sport but not sure about my second choice... out of interest what course are you doing? and did that have any influence on your accommodation choice?
thanks for replying! x

u can stay in any accommodation or choose to stay in a college close to where ull study like ill study politics and ir which is at county college so ill choose the closest accommodations either county or furness :P
Apparently County is fun?

Cartmel on the other hand, not really. But that depends on what flatmates you get and what people you meet.
Original post by figo2012
hey everyone ive received a conditional acceptance to lancaster law and social science foundation year course i've been reading on these forums about the different colleges and accommodations and ive decided on the following to choose from County, Furness, Fylde, Pendle, Grizedale. but i also wanted to go for catered accommodation so which one of these offers catering? thanx in advance P.S: im aiming for ba politics with international relations when im done with my foundation mybe bowland btw im aiming for standard bed rooms

Fylde is 100% ensuite. :smile:
County, Furness, Pendle, Grizedale and Bowland all offer standard rooms of different styles [some with living room areas - like County - and some that have been refurbished more recently than others etc]. :smile:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/sbs/accommodation/a-z.html
Catered accommodation is available in Bowland (Basic Standard), County (Basic & Superior Ensuite), Cartmel and Lonsdale (Superior Ensuite) colleges.
For mega parties, Bowland. For a reliable source of atmosphere, regular parties and community, Fylde. Furness standard washbasin has good accommodation for a great price (I live there) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending